Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C & R Fraser River sockeye salmon during the closure  (Read 17367 times)

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
Re: Fraser August 16
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 09:34:32 PM »

Geez, if this keeps up, we may also lose the chance to target springs by barfishing.  Although this method has hooked up a few sockeye this year, there is no question that this is still a rare event, and if imployed the impact on sockeye would be almost zero.  When DFO "recomends" that we use selective techniques, it means they are watching and observing how we do....I think we failed that test, and just gave them justification to keep us off the river entirely next year.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 08:08:30 AM »

Exactly fishersac....we are being judge for "our" actions...and its not impressive.

Markthefisher...What ever you want to tell yourself to make you feel better about your actions or lighten the load on your conscience, go for it...people like you are going to ignore the facts and hide from the truth to justify their actions....but I for one, will not allow you to spread your BS to other fishers on this site and allow you to make it easier for them to go out and floss too.  There is a definite negative impact on sockeye from catch and release!....especailly with the frasers very warm temps.

What do you know about marine biology, fish anatomy, the capabilities of a fish to deal with stress...warm water hold less O2 than cold water...how does that factor into the recovery after a fight and their continued journey, etc, etc, etc. 

For a vast majority of a fishes life they are in cold water.  They go thru a dramatic biological/physiological change when they hit fresh water...how do you know what your impacts are on these fish you have release.  How do you know they survive C&R.  DFO tells us otherwise...there is some mortality, no one knows exactly  how much or when so where do you get off making such a bold statement.

Unless you have a lot more knowledge regarding the subject than I or the DFO, I suggest you pull your head out of the sand and face up to the fact that you are killing socs by flossing them.

To Coho Cody...you represent the futue of sport fishing, the younger generation.  what you do now will shape our sport...do you really need to go out and floss those springs at the expense of "tons" of socs?   

« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 08:11:04 AM by Gooey »

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 08:18:56 AM »

;D nice fish coho cody looked at your gallery and some nice pics in there . glad to see a young guy enjoying this great sport ;D ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 09:00:38 AM »

PT...your comment is so short sited.  its exactly opposite to what we need to achieve as a group...if we focus on the springs...the socs will fall to the way side. 

Yes its great that a young fisher is enjoying our sport but he is doing so with calous regard for the sockeye...and that is wrong. 

We cant praise/glorify this spring floss fishery when it hurts the sockeye soooooo much.

wacker

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 01:50:44 PM »

I suggest if you can't release your fish safely and you figure that fishes life is worth more than the cost of a 50 cent hook,just break it off and tie a new one on. We should all be clear that snagging or flossing was introduced as a way to harvest sockeye when they were plentiful.Supposedly we are all going after springs which are not shy of bar rigs with spin 'n glos and in my opinion should not be snagged.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 01:52:44 PM »

good reason for DFO to shut the bars right down until the numbers of socs justify a rec. opening.   

A dead fish is a dead fish! Flossing socs now isnt much different than FN poaching them, still one less fish for the spawning beds...at least a FN poached fish gets eaten (or sold) unlike the poor soc we heard about above...it porbably died in the river and is now crab bait somewhere.

With the water nearing 20 degrees (apparently an all time high), I ask each flosser out there right now to consider their impact on the sockeye they release.   How any socs are being hooked each day right now by Rec anglers, how many ARENT going to spawn because of that...questions people should be considering right now.

Why are people so hungry for springs that they endanger sockeye in the process?

Thats a simple one ,we are sportfishermen and we have the urge to catch fish. Plus a spring is a fight of a life time and its still early for the whites:P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 01:54:20 PM by Floater »
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 02:25:07 PM »

Some guys acted like there 4 years old on this site ::) By the way good job cody .
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 03:39:22 PM »

and its still early for the whites:P

I got my first white on july 2nd last year. By this time the mix should be about 50/50 if not more in favour of the whites.
Actions speak louder than words.

mr.pink

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 04:07:41 PM »

we caught an 18lb white spring on monday at grassy,1 sockeye was caught and released,we saw
1 other spring 28lbs caught and 2 sockeyes(c&r).
  this was my first time flossing,had to go try it,after shooting my mouth off,calling it snagging.i went with my regular fishin bud,and a friend of his who guides on the fraser,we went in his sled.
  at first was a little uncomfortable using a leader that long,i didn t hook anything so i don t feel so bad.the guide caught both fish(of course),and i unhooked them(and netted the spring)and to my
surprise both were hooked inside the mouth,which was a surprise to me,i doubt i will ever do it again,being a vegetarian,i don t need fish for meat,and fish mostly for the fun and to be outdoors.
should mention i do eat seafood on occasion.this is just my 2 cents.
  we saw at least 5 dead sockeyes floating  by,(which made me feel even worse for trying bb).cheers.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 04:09:05 PM »

Hey Roe KID...Are the 4 year olds the guys who go out an floss countless sockeye in the hopes that they will eventually hook one spring? 

Or perhaps they're the guys not mature enuff to treat our prescious resource with the respect it deserves?

Just curious KID...maybe you would like to clarify your statement ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 05:44:27 PM »

Yes i will clarify my statement ;) My point had nothing to do with people flossing sockeye. My point is that some members on this site get a little to carried away and dont realize this is supposed to be a site where we share our reports and talk about fishing. Not where we start bad mouthing at others because they took a sockeye out of water and cause a big scrum with others. Think about that one bud. ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 07:18:06 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 06:09:53 PM »

and its still early for the whites:P

I got my first white on july 2nd last year. By this time the mix should be about 50/50 if not more in favour of the whites.
Pardon my ignorace ::) SOME whites come in with the reds but its still a little early for 50/50 chance i think.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 06:15:16 PM by Floater »
[

fisher88

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 06:46:36 PM »

come to think of it,, this post was intended as a fishing report.. to put u on track and tell u if its worth going. i dont think i remember starting a debate??
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 08:45:05 PM »

This really isnt a flossing debate...I am simply trying to get people to consider their actions when out the flossing springs yet hooking more socs than anything.   If people come to this report page and reconsider there plans because of the dialog here then great.

Dont get me wrong, I am not against harvesting sockeye thru flossing...I am dieing for an opening just like the rest of you...But I wont head out trying to floss a spring if it means even possibly hooking a sockeye that I cant retain and which may die because of my actions.
These people out flossing (both young and old) are having a negative impact on sockeye stocks and our fishery in general.  As there is a definite mortality rate for all those C&R socs...regrdless of whether they are handled with care or not, the simple act of being played in could be too much for many of these fish.

You guys who want to head out there and floss (when DFO has asked you not to), thats your perogative.  But I am determined to at least challenge you to think about your actions before you go out flossing.  Scruffy (who posted reports from pegleg - and who I assume was flossing) has since stated (on this thread) he thinks they should shut the fraser down.  Pepsi Trev has stated similiar sentiments...good for you guys, I dont know if what I said made a difference to you, but good on ya all the same.

All of you who continue to floss while the socs are closed...well, you know the cost of what you are doing (less socs to the spawning beds) so frankly I put you in the same boat with the poachers.  Tight lines, hope you enjoy "the fight of a life time" regardless of the consequnece.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 09:14:08 PM »

coho cody..good on ya kid! its nice to see a boy as young as you get involved in fishing. i can tell by that smile on your face it was a pretty good thrill. you have shown your fishing prowess to us many times and i know you released every sockeye carefully back. The roe kid and coho cody you guys keep up the good work. AHEM! as for our resident fisheries biologist..please move your guilty statements to the discussion area where it belongs.and......try to relax man. the natives do more harm to sockeye in one year than this young lad will ever do in his lifetime trying to catch springs.