Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinking richmond August 27th  (Read 3898 times)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
Pinking richmond August 27th
« on: August 27, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »

spent 2 hrs on the water today, nothing to show , had one solid hit. Guy beside me hooked two and took one home.VERY WINDY out there.

DaN
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 07:56:41 PM by Rodney »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Pinking richmond.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 05:15:18 PM »

thx for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Pinking richmond August 27th
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 08:11:58 PM »

was fishing no.3 road area today for almost five hours and didnt get into any fish, guys beside me snagged and kept a few pinks as well as a couple of sockeye. I could not believe how many fish where jumping, looks like a very huge run of sockeye going through right now. One native boat the "mojo" kept drifting where I was fishing and I watched them net hundreds upon hundreds of sockeye, hard to believe any fish make it through that gauntlet of nets.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 08:13:32 PM »

Well, the 2005 Fraser River pink salmon season has begun. ;) This afternoon Mark (fishersak) showed up at my house without notifying me because he has been so eager to go fishing. ;D We headed down to one of the spots along Dyke Road in Richmond.

The south easterly wind made casting slightly more difficult, but not impossible. Upon our arrival, we found both sockeye and pink salmon leaping and finning in the water. We were excited! I didn't have high expectation today, left the cooler at home, didn't plan to retain any fish. The cooler should have been brought. ;)

After about 30 minutes of casting, I was into one fish, but it quickly popped off. Rusty skill after two years of no pink action I guess. ;)

The second fish came soon after that. My friend Vince arrived just when this fish was hooked up, and he quickly grabbed my net and was ready to scoop for me. Several minutes later, a nice looking male was netted. A quick photo shot and the fish went back swimming again.

Both schools of sockeye and pink salmon came in waves today. There were times when nothing was happening, but few minutes later the water would be boiling. One thing that surprised us was the number of tiny nibbles that we had. I suspected that they were actually sockeye bites. Most of these bites were detected but too fast for a hook set.

The next three fish I hooked, I managed to lose them all. :P Time for a hook change.

I then managed to bring in a chrome doe, which was quickly released as well.

By now I had hooked 6, landed 2, the landing ratio was disgusting. ::)

After losing one more fish, I was able to land three more. By the end, I managed to land 5 out of 10, raised the % slightly but still embarrassing. :-[

I'll let Vince and Mark to tell you how many they landed. ;)

Just before I was leaving, Vince managed to hook one fish that almost took the rod out of his hand. I stood behind and watched while Mark stood by with the net. Once the fish got closer, Mark put the rod down and said, "sockeye!". It was indeed a sockeye, a nice one too. It bit the spoon hard, the hook was clearly inside the mouth. ;) That was probably the highlight of the day. Mark unhooked the fish and released it immediately. :)

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • You must release any sockeye carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
[/size]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 11:30:51 PM by Rodney »

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 08:30:59 PM »

nice job Rod! I might have to buy some of those magic spoons off of you, my pink buzz bomb did nothing for me today :-\

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 09:16:23 PM »

Of course, it figures, the day after I leave Rodney starts catching the pinks..... ::)  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 09:20:49 PM »

Nina, don't believe everything you read and see on the internet. Rod is posing with the pinks that his friend caught. ;D

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 09:24:35 PM »

it only seems like,  BUDDY BUDDY     in  here? no love gained none lost

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 09:29:43 PM »

Coolness Rod!  I've never considered fishing in Richmond for pinks.  It looks a bit tricky for the fly.  I assume spin casting is the way to go.  Nice work!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 10:12:29 PM »

Gary Point Park is the mecca for pink flyfishermen.  I will bring my 6 & 8 wt when the run is thicker.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 10:23:52 PM »

Ok I fished right next to Rod all day....to show for my efforts what did I get?  NOT ONE HOOKUP.  Damn that guy can make you look bad!!!  Rod must have some kind of Pink Magic as he was the only one with multiple hookups.  Those lures he makes sure do work. 

We were getting some really light taps....too fast for hookups...or at least to fast for me....I don't have the ninja reflexes rod has.

Anway, I'll have to try again to break my lousy record.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 10:42:29 PM »

Oh, another thing,

as I was leaving (I stayed a bit longer than Rod...trying to redeem myself) I noticed a couple of people trying to snag fish.  It was starting to get dark and this group had just arrived.  I'm not sure I want to know what goes on there after dark.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 10:44:33 PM »

:-[

I kept telling Mark not to waste time by netting my fish but he wouldn't listen. :-\

I think you have more ninja blood in you than me. ;)

funfish is right, Garry Point Park is probably the only place where flyfishing for pinks is doable. TtotheE and Fishin Chick have done flyfishing along Dyke Road (I was watching them) and they had a few hookups two years ago. The only problem is the lack of casting room as you may have noticed.

FA, I'll see you tomorrow for the challenge, forget shopping. ;)

Nina, I did tell you that we could go for a couple of hours before your flight left yesterday. :P

Thanks lucky, first trip out with good result is fantastic for me, and after dealing with so much fishery politics lately, it's so nice to get away from it all for a few hours.

Nicefish, I have no spoons left for sale right now. :-[ I might make some tomorrow morning, but next week is more realistic if anyone wants any.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 10:59:28 PM »

:-[

FA, I'll see you tomorrow for the challenge, forget shopping. ;)

Time permitting I will be down tomorrow to put on a clinic.

rod dance

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 11:01:58 PM »

wow, if rod's going to dyke, i must go there.
take pictures and autograph of my favorite IDOL ! ! !
 :P