Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: south richmond shore fishermen August 29th  (Read 5221 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
south richmond shore fishermen August 29th
« on: August 29, 2005, 07:22:13 PM »

i was at the dyke once again, enjoying the scenery. very few fish were rising, but i managed to see 2 chrome does (pinks of course) landed. to my surprise both fishermen didn't know what species of salmon they had just caught. :-\ :-\  i was sure glad i was around to give them a crash course on what to look for and how to quickly identify their catch.

pierboy was also there, but had no luck (at least for the time i was there). one fella that arrived later, decided he was going to bottom bounce. ::)  ;D...big mistake. too many snags. ah well, live and learn.

very friendly crowds (unlike upper river). the trade off though, is alot of newbies to the sport. hopefully with the many seasoned veterans out there, these newbies can learn by our examples.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:11:03 PM by Rodney »

lowlight

Re: south richmond shore fishermen
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 08:40:44 PM »

i was at the dyke once again, enjoying the scenery. very few fish were rising, but i managed to see 2 chrome does (pinks of course) landed. to my surprise both fishermen didn't know what species of salmon they had just caught. :-\ :-\  i was sure glad i was around to give them a crash course on what to look for and how to quickly identify their catch.

pierboy was also there, but had no luck (at least for the time i was there). one fella that arrived later, decided he was going to bottom bounce. ::)  ;D...big mistake. too many snags. ah well, live and learn.

very friendly crowds (unlike upper river). the trade off though, is alot of newbies to the sport. hopefully with the many seasoned veterans out there, these newbies can learn by our examples.

What's up with the " :-\ :-\" for the newbie? Not everyone is a seasoned pro, you know. We all start somewhere.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 08:55:16 PM »

What's up with the " :-\ :-\" for the newbie? Not everyone is a seasoned pro, you know. We all start somewhere.

:-\ :-\  wasn't the fact that they were newbies. it was the fact they didn't take the time to read the booklets given to them, at the time of purchasing their license.  and even if they didn't get a booklet, they should have done their homework. 

they knew what tackle to use, where to fish, and the technique...isn't it fair expection (for them), to also know what they're fishing for?  besides, those cursor character represents 'concern'...what's wrong with that? also if you read on, i also made a comment on the friendliness of the crowd. so don't misinterpret or over analyze what i'm saying. :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:04:44 PM by blaydRnr »

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 09:04:30 PM »

This fishery will create alot of newbie fisherpersons, so it is great that guys like blaydrnr is willing to offer help and instruction to these people. 

Many of these people are very appreciative of this help.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 09:08:59 PM »

thanx fishersak.

any luck on your end? i heard from perch's dad, you and the gang were up river.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:11:12 PM by blaydRnr »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 09:10:50 PM »

Not on his end. ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 09:12:26 PM »

Not on his end. ;D

well, i'm waiting for your pics too Rod. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: south richmond shore fishermen August 29th
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 09:13:11 PM »

Education is definitely the way to go, this fishery brings out many new anglers which is great to see. It's fantastic to see the whole family being able to participate together. At the same time, as blaydRnr has brought up, salmon id should be strongly emphasized when people purchase their licences. That's why I got this huge box of DFO salmon id cards for anyone who needs them. You can grab a few sets and hand them out to others who need them. :)

Our report... coming up. ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 09:18:35 PM »

have those cards ready. the next time i see you, i'll grab a bunch and be more than willing to help distribute them to the local scene.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 09:38:46 PM »

Today is the last week of our summer program "Introduction to the Fraser Estuary" of youth fishing camp. :) I started the day by baiting dough and untangling line for four kids. ;D The incoming tide is usually excellent for coarse fishing, and today was no exception. The kids were having trouble setting the hook when the float danced on the surface, but after awhile fish were brought in one after another...

Today's highly included this HUGE shiner perch Angus got, one of the bigger one I've seen over the years. Shiner perch is of course a marine species, but they are very abundant around the Fraser estuary in July and August once the freshet finishes.

Trout Slayer and Fishersak came and observed the camp for awhile. They laughed at my grief as I had to take care of four dangling rods at once. :P Just kidding, both of them assisted the kids when they needed. :)

After the camp finished, we went over to No. 3 Road pier but saw no risers. After some discussion, we decided to head to another spot that may produce. ;) Perch, Trout Slayer, Fishersak and I headed off. We arrived at the new spot at around 4pm. There were no risers... :-\

Surprisingly, once we started fishing, I had a huge hit on my rod and proceeded to set the hook. Fish on! A nice chrome pink doe circled, danced before Fishersak scooped it up cleanly. The fish is sitting in the cooler now. :)

Once the first fish was on the beach, we were motivated. We got even more excited once we started seeing the odd surfacing. Soon after, Trout Slayer was into a nice fish. This fish grabbed his lure very close to shore, reminding us to keep that spoon in the water til the last second.

After Trout Slayer's fish, the school really started surfacing. :o fish were finning left and right, but none could be enticed! Very rarely this happens when pink salmon fishing, but when it does it can be extremely frustrating. ???

Anyways, Fishersak and Perch both contacted a fish each, but both fish came off due to <insert Fishersak and Perch's excuses>. I then hooked one close in, but came off after a few rolls. >:( A couple more hits and misses, things were not looking that great.

At the end of the day, we still only had two fish on the beach. We walked to a new location where we saw some fish rising. Immediately I had a nice tap that I missed. :-\ Soon after, a large male couldn't resist my spoon! ;D This fish took a long hard run at first, it almost didn't seem like a pink salmon at all. :o When the fish got closer to shore, Trout Slayer ran over and scooped it up. :) I hesitated, and told him to let the fish go as I didn't want to clean a fish today (Trout Slayer cleaned my fish earlier for the exchange of roe ;D ). :-[ Just before sundown, I managed to hook one more that popped off after a few splashes.

Day three, hooked five, landed two, kept one. Another great day of BC fishing. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:42:12 PM by Rodney »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 09:49:45 PM »

nice chromer. good report.

better luck next time perch and fishersak. ;)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 10:02:57 PM »

Was nice to fish with you all tonight. Me and Rod put on a nice little clinic. ;D The fish we hooked and played were hammering the spoons, others would give small taps and not commit. Great day and thanks for the roe. :)

lowlight

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 10:19:56 PM »

:-\ :-\  wasn't the fact that they were newbies. it was the fact they didn't take the time to read the booklets given to them, at the time of purchasing their license.  and even if they didn't get a booklet, they should have done their homework. 

they knew what tackle to use, where to fish, and the technique...isn't it fair expection (for them), to also know what they're fishing for?  besides, those cursor character represents 'concern'...what's wrong with that? also if you read on, i also made a comment on the friendliness of the crowd. so don't misinterpret or over analyze what i'm saying. :-\ :-\
Sorry for misinterpreting your post. As a newbie, I would be offended by someone 'sneering' or 'sighing' at me (which is what I perceive that smilie to be, especially when you use 2 in a row). You're right, everyone should know what they are going for. And it's good that you let them know. As long as you don't go on  later to your fishing buddies, snickering and saying how stupid they are. You didn't do that, so I apologize.

Rod where is this 'other spot' where you hooked five fish, and they were rising all around you? I started to check out different spots up and down from the No. 3 pier, but I haven't seen much of anything but huge sockeye taunting me, and a seal wondering if I was having better luck than him.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 10:19:57 PM »

Near the end of today, I saw a pink swimming downstream by the rocks. It was completely covered in fungus... with net marks just behind the gill plates. :'( That was pretty sad to see.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 10:30:39 PM »

Sorry for misinterpreting your post. As a newbie, I would be offended by someone 'sneering' or 'sighing' at me (which is what I perceive that smilie to be, especially when you use 2 in a row). You're right, everyone should know what they are going for. And it's good that you let them know. As long as you don't go on  later to your fishing buddies, snickering and saying how stupid they are. You didn't do that, so I apologize.

thanx...no harm, no foul.

sorry i gave you the wrong impression. already, you're talking like a seasoned pro.  before you know it, someone will be looking up to you for advice.

tight lines :)