Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing duncan bar 31st  (Read 4095 times)

fish-a-holic

fly fishing duncan bar 31st
« on: September 01, 2005, 12:32:54 AM »

my first fish on the fly! i lost 3 and beached 2 it was an awsome day i was using a silver comet!

p.s. i released the second one cause of a too big of hump

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: fly fishing duncan bar 31st
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 12:30:51 PM »

congrats
weeeeeeeeeow!

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 12:42:54 PM »

i will b at duncan this saturday, white 14ft boat.

good luck.

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 04:18:28 PM »

Exciting isn't it. 8)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »

Hey, wuts your opinion on comparing fly fishing to spinning.Wich do you think is better.I still want to learn to fly fish,because sometimes I see peeple spinning not catching anything and a fly fisher comes in a and limits out almost.

crack a dawn

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 09:54:02 PM »

It all depends,,,,I like to fly more than spinning.  Its more exciting to me catching one on a fly rod. 

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »

Ya thats wut i heer, is it hard to learn?

crack a dawn

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 10:10:27 PM »

Not hard to learn.  Hard to become good.  Go out with someone that knows his stuff,,, and you'll be casting nicely within the first hour.  Fly fishing is all technique,  from casting to presentation of the fly.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 11:38:23 PM »

In my case it's not a matter of technique.  My fly casting is not that good, maybe even horrible (at least that's what I think).  To me, it's a matter of knowledge.  Understanding where the fish hangs out, what they were eating and what they can see are the most important as far as I'm concern.  Then I tie my flies accordingly. ;)
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

nigglesworth

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 02:48:56 PM »

is this in Duncan?  I have just got into flyfishing as well and have been out to steerman Ave and Steveston.  Is there anywhere else that you can go to get some salmon action?  I am open for tips!

N.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 09:06:38 PM »

Is there anywhere else that you can go to get some salmon action?  I am open for tips!

Well you could try the left side of the boat ramp at brownsville cuz they jus moved that big barge outta there.And yesterday everyone on the rocks saw tons of fish jumping and surfacing.

P.S it is a sandy beach but lots of fish usually go in there wen the fish are in.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 11:54:33 AM »

Hey, wuts your opinion on comparing fly fishing to spinning.Wich do you think is better.I still want to learn to fly fish,because sometimes I see peeple spinning not catching anything and a fly fisher comes in a and limits out almost.

In the whole sceam of things fly fishing is more effective than any other form of sport angling, however to get good at it requires years of dedicated study. Many people are not that studious so they try if for awhile an quite. I like many fly anglers of my generation started out (early 70's) taking both hard tackle and fly along on each trip. We would usually start with spinning or trolling gear and move to flies if we found a good pod of fish. Took a fly fishing cource while I was still in high school back in 72, by todays standards I would give the instructor an "F". Since that time many things have changed (fly fishing for pacific salmon has only evolved over the last 12 years) flies construction, materials, equipment, and fish other than trout & bass targeted. The whole idea behind fly fishing is to imitate or formulate strike triggers as closely as possible, so with all the materials and equipment available to the fly tying fly angler the options are unlimited. With all other forms of angling you are limited to what is available with fly angling your limitations are the one fabricated in your our mind and beliefs. In the classes I teach on fly fishing I tell my students that success comes from constantly questioning and analize all and every angling experince. In this sport the iron clad fasts are disproven dayly.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 12:09:14 PM »

Forgot to mention when fly only in 1986 and have never looked back. Caught more fish in my first year of fly only than the whole total of the previous ten years. My tips for you read everthing you can, talk to all anglers who are having success not just the fly anglers (color is often the key), take a fly fishing cource from a successful angler (That means someone who catches fish regularly under all conditions in all season, not just the occational 50 fish day. It took me thirty years of self study to get the success I enjoy today, you can shorten the learning curve with good instruction but there is no short cut to my addage of "Study, Practice, and Perfect, the best fly anglers are the best students of fly fishing.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 12:47:06 PM »

Do you happen to any fly fishing cources near new west?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005, 05:36:57 PM »

Call Continuing Education Coq. at 604-936-4261. I use to teach of  for the Burnaby Dist.too but cancled this year due to fuel cost and travel time for Mission. Other wise I offer classes through Parks & Rec Maple Rigde, Mission, & Abbotsford.