Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 10th  (Read 5654 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser, Richmond September 10th
« on: September 10, 2005, 06:54:05 PM »

As I headed to the river this morning at 10:30am, I gave fishersak a call. He reported that people had already limited out when he arrived at 9:30am, but the fishing died off when he started! :o

Anyways, I continued to the river and met up with him. Chrome Mykiss' dad followed soon after. Fishersak was discouraged by the lack of rises, but I was sure that there were fish as we have caught them with the absence of surface signs. He left to mow his dad's lawn while we fished. ;)

On my second cast, I felt a tap, a good indication. I then spotted one fin sticking out within casting distance. On my forth cast, one fish took the lure hard. A quick hook set and the fight was on! :D A male pink was landed minutes later. A quick release, and it was back to fishing. Two casts later I got into another male pink. By now Chrome Mykiss' dad was ready to dip his line. Just after I released my second fish, he hooked and lost one. :o

Not long after, lucky showed up to join the action. Right away he was into fish too. During the first hour, lucky hooked 5 and kept 3. Chrome Mykiss' dad hooked 5 and I hooked 5.

Fish Assassin showed up just as the action died down. ;D Chrome Mykiss also showed up and we decided to go for lunch and leave some fish for FA. ;D After a hearty meal at Tim Horton's, we quickly returned and found out FA had not gotten into any fish yet. ;) He even bought four of my spoons. :)

To prove that the fish were there, I got down to where FA was fishing, and started casting. ;) A few casts later, while FA was fiddling with his baitcaster, I hooked one just after the beginning of a retrieve. ;D The fish however popped off near shore (as I had planned of course ;) ).

We chatted and fished as the action slowed down. I had a few more taps but nothing too significant.

30 minutes later, I got into another one, again just after the beginning of a retrieve. A chrome doe made a few leaps. Just as I was thinking about keeping this fish, it came up and showed its side. Nope, not keeping this one now! Once we landed it, I took a couple of photos before the release.

Seal bites!

Right side of the fish.

Left side of the fish. Notice the backbone is showing.

It sure is a dangerous world down there, as FA mentioned.

Not much action after that. I hooked one more but came off near shore. Fishersak returned and brought his father, who was able to get into a fish right away. Great to see!

Hooked 8, landed 4 today. Another fantastic pink salmon day in Richmond. :D

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • Bait ban is in effect between September 6th and October 7th
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 10th
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 07:08:52 PM »

I'll be ready for tomorrow !

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 07:22:47 PM »

What the crap you should of done it a favour and boinked it there is no way that is gona make it to spawn probably in hella pain too.
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 07:27:04 PM »

Not true floater, salmon are a lot tougher than most of us believe. A wound heals incredibly fast. We've done gill plate hole punches for spawner markings in the past only to find those holes healed up a week later.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 07:31:41 PM »

If it makes it or not it will provide excellent food for other species such as seals, birds, sturgeon etc. I once saw a Chinook caught bar fishing without an upper mouth or nose, it was chopped off cleanly by a prop and still was able to be hooked and landed, wasnt even bleeding, could just see its brains and flesh.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 07:34:24 PM by Trout Slayer »

FishGuts

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 08:00:33 PM »

Fish are finally starting to thicken up, fished maple ridge area today with a dozen or so fish caught and released with the ole trusty fly rod.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 09:10:07 PM »

My sister was trying flyfishing for pinks but end up with one NPM and a smaller fish (may be redside shiner?).
No salmon for her. Could be wrong fly don't know.
Fished from 7:30 to 9:00pm landed 2.

Going out again tomorrow. May be my sister will be able to catch a pink then  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »

NPM on the fly is not a bad thing! Any fish on the fly is a great catch. :D

Lucky will tell you a trick to catch pikeminnows from today. :o ::) ;)

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 09:42:28 PM »

Rodneys spoons work excellent for pikeminnow, caught two today. One was caught around a foot from shore when I dipped the spoon in the water for a split second, the fish came out of nowhere and nailed it. The fish wasnt much bigger than the lure.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 09:51:40 PM »

had one hit on a spinner with an orange blade and that was it. lots of fish moving through but none would take. would appreciate if a few of you guys could share your favourite color spoons and other lures as i am in fustration mode with only 4 fish in 20 outings to date.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 10:06:20 PM »

pecan_sam, we've had success with both orange and pink coloured lures. I personally don't think colour makes such a big difference, the key seems to be the retrieve speed. I sometimes would change my retrieve speed several times during one cast. Today, I had one fish that hit it four times before I got it by slowing it down after each hit. The last few days, I've been retrieving at a extremely slow speed, sometimes even leaving it suspending if the tide is running strong.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 10:18:03 PM »

i've been doing the same as well. orange has been better than pink lures for me so far. i think hook size is also a contibutor. willl be sizing down all the hooks for my next outing. thanks rodney.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 10:33:01 PM »

Not true floater, salmon are a lot tougher than most of us believe. A wound heals incredibly fast. We've done gill plate hole punches for spawner markings in the past only to find those holes healed up a week later.
I thought salmon cannot heal outside of saltwater? All the pinks that get hooked by the hump on the vedder allways have rot spots but i might if been misinformed on the saltwater thing.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 10:37:42 PM by Floater »
[

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 12:16:05 AM »

Glad someone is having some luck cause i got skunked again :P  Fished the lower fraser by knight bridge; casted pink spoons to risers and jumpers but no bites, frustrating. ::)

phatwop

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 12:19:16 AM »

Not true floater, salmon are a lot tougher than most of us believe. A wound heals incredibly fast. We've done gill plate hole punches for spawner markings in the past only to find those holes healed up a week later

will those seal bites heal up like the gill plate hole punches ? that's pretty impressive how feisty those pinks are to take such a beating from seals and still go for some spoons.