Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 12th  (Read 6754 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser, Richmond September 12th
« on: September 12, 2005, 04:15:23 PM »

I found out something today, gman has an unique definition of "three more casts". ;)

Under the smoky haze from burns bog, we were out for a few hours early this afternoon to give pink salmon fishing another go. After losing two fish yesterday, Nikolai was determined to land some fish before he heads off to Europe on the 22nd. He now wants to buy a rod and reel. ;)

We arrived at a spot today where Chrome Mykiss' dad and Ron was already fishing. Lucky and I both know Ron is a keener, he fishes long hours. :o Ron is actually a native, who enjoys fishing with a rod and reel very much. He is just starting out, but is extremely keen to learn. :) Today he was telling me his stories of working up north in a mine, interesting stuff.

I sat and drank my ice cap, and grabbed the rod to make the first cast. Nikolai said, "Watch this, you're gonna hook one on your first cast."

I made the cast, let the lure sank, three turns on the reel and the fish hit hard! Fish on! It fought for about twenty seconds and came right off.

A few minutes later, Nikolai was into a fish! This large male took several long runs and after many netting attempts, he finally landed his first ever pacific salmon! :D

Just after I bled that fish, gman showed up in his office clothes. ;D

He ventured down onto the rocks with his spinning rod, started casting during his "lunch break". ;D

Twenty minutes later, he had to get back to work. He said, "three more casts". On his second cast, he was into a fish for a few seconds. Five minutes later, he was still casting. Three more casts eh... ;)

As the tide peaked, the fishing improved after several small waves of fish went by. In the end, I was getting hits on almost every cast! I managed to hook 9, and landed 3. Nikolai hooked 4, but his landing ratio was much better. ::) He ended up keeping three large male pinks. I plan to smoke them for him so he can bring them over to his girlfriend in Europe next week (yet another trans-Atlantic relationship.... ;D ).

LukeYVR showed up a bit late, probably slept in. :P He was unable to get any while we were catching. I told him to slow down the retrieve and on the next cast he had a hit! Not long after, while we were cleaning our fish, he finally landed one.

Canoeman also came and checked out the action after work, WITHOUT a rod! :o Poor CM could only look on while we pulled them in. ;D

I need to fillet the fish now, shower, and take off to the airport at 5pm to pick up Ross UK who is arriving from heathrow. He's fishing upa t Langara this week and with STS Guiding for two weeks starting this weekend. He wants to check out these Fraser pinks after we check into the hotel this evening, let's see how much time we have before sundown. :P

Go get them people, the run is peaking! By the end of this week, the fishing should be fantastic around the evening time during high tide. :)

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • Bait ban is in effect between September 6th and October 7th
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

The Fly

• Renato Muccillo Fine Arts Studio
Re: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 12th
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 04:25:52 PM »

Hey Rod,
 Have you talked to anyone who has spent any time at Garry Point Park in the past few days? Ive been out just to survey the situation..  but really haven't seen much . 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 04:57:45 PM »

The fly, I have not heard anything. The last few days I've received good reports just about from everywhere else - Delta, Vancouver, Annacis Island, New West, Port Mann, Maple Ridge.

The fish were even more aggressive than yesterday.

The Fly

• Renato Muccillo Fine Arts Studio
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 05:33:42 PM »

Thanks Rod
When you say Vancouver ... your obviously talking about the North arm of the Fraser..
I live within5 minutes of the north side (Kerr&54th).  I've always assumed the pinks found there way up the river via the south arm (Steveson).
The north side isn't really conducive to casting a fly either .. or at least that my observation..

funky rodder

• Save me some guys....
    • i-Clean(TM) Global
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 06:01:36 PM »

Been out at South Arm from 2pm to 5:30pm...not a single hit.
a few other people...no one was landing anything.
disappointment  :'(
Bite me [bait]

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 06:04:43 PM »

Rod

Do you ever work?

funky rodder

• Save me some guys....
    • i-Clean(TM) Global
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 06:23:32 PM »

Yeah...Rod only works his wrists & his arm action.  ;)
Bite me [bait]

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 06:55:23 PM »

hey rod i wish i could fish as much as you  :)

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 08:10:06 PM »

Gman went for three more casts after work and hooked several and landed one. I managed to hook 4 and land one nice chrome male between 5pm and 7pm tonight.

gman

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 08:14:13 PM »

Yeah I guess I'm addicted. I fished a bit more after work too. My wife and kids laughed at me when I walked in with my work clothes on, laptop in one hand and a pink salmon in the other.   ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 08:54:26 PM »

hahah that would be very funny but one day that will be me ;) hahah what if u got all ur lap top and fishy  ;D

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 08:58:33 PM »

steped out of the house for an hour hooked one fish which was quicky lost.

DaN

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 09:15:55 PM »

Rod

Do you ever work?

Wrong question to ask. You meant, do I ever sleep? ;)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 09:26:51 PM »

Hey rod,im wondering how good you think its been on river road?

Sinaran

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 09:46:01 PM »

fished at dyke rd from 3:30 to 5pm today and caught nothing but a huge bullhead on the gibbs croc.  drove to behind no.6rd but couldn't catch anything there too . lots of floating woods and kelps.  went back to dyke rd at 7pm , saw more jumpers near the shore, but no one was catching anything though. getting skunked every trip now but i am not giving up, won't give up till i catch u freaking little salmon!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!