Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 12th  (Read 6750 times)

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
Re: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 12th
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 09:51:27 PM »

i tired river road in delta today not even a sign of a pink

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 09:56:21 PM »

Part two

After picking Ross UK from the airport tonight, we headed over to where Trout Slayer, Chrome Mykiss and LukeYVR were fishing as he wanted to see some salmon action right away. ;D We quickly checked into his hotel, dropped the stuff off and headed to the river.

When we arrived, we found the fish were still milling about. Couldn't resist the urge, I picked up my rod and went for a cast while Ross watched. The current pushing the lure slightly, so I slowly retrieved and let it suspended once awhile. As it approached shoreline, BANG! Fish on the first cast again! Twice in one day, I am a happy man. ;D That fish came up and splashed a few times before spitting the spoon. I turned around and looked at Ross, his eyes are wide opened now. ;D A few minutes later, a nibble was felt, I slowed the retrieve down and second fish was on. This time it came in fairly fast and Luke netted the fish for me before the release. A few more casts and we were off to dinner, what a day! ;D

I'll let Trout Slayer to report how many he AND Chrome Mykiss hooked and landed today. ;D

Perch and his dad both limited out tonight. I've also just received a report of six hookups on South Arm tonight as well, so the fish are all over the place, and should be good as we approach the evening peak tide later on this week! :)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »

I hooked 4 and landed 1 tonight and well lets just say Chrome Mykiss enjoyed fishing in the smoke. ;) Tried a new spoon tonight too, rather then pink for pinks I used chartreuse green, worked great. 8) The takes were soft and you gotta be on top of your game to hook em' tonight.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 10:06:12 PM by Trout Slayer »

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 10:06:38 PM »

Landed 2 out of 7 hook ups tonight.  Magic lure again was the orange croc with black wings and then a jig.  Always the money lure.  A fair number of fish showing but probably a whole lot more not underneath.  Make sure you fish your lure all the way to the edge of the dyke or rocks as they will often follow it all the way in.  I hooked one with about a foot of line left to reel in.  Nice sunset tonight as it beamed through all the smoke layers.

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 12:30:28 AM »

After Rod had gone to p/u Ross, I landed a male and released.

G-man was having so much fun with 6lb. test line..

So I wipped out my 6lb. set-up, too...... then I foul hooked and landed a baby sturgeon.  :-X
 He must've been munching on all those pink guts ppl. had thrown out..
 Laurence & Howard, thanx for the help & was nice talking to you guys.. :)

5 hooked, 2 Pinks and 1 Stu. landed.
Lost 2 lures to pinks, 1 to the rock....  Gonna make Rod rich.... :P

lowlight

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 02:06:36 AM »

I really don't get what I am doing wrong... I was out there for at least 2 hours today, pinks jumping all around me. At one point, no less than THREE jumped within metres of me AT THE SAME TIME...

I have tried all different bright spoons, varying my cast speed all the time. I cast upstream, downstream, in the middle.. I try near the top of the surface, bottom of the river (bad idea - lost 2 lures that way)

I really am getting frustrated. I felt like throwing my rod in the river today.

I wonder if I should be using lighter line... hmmm

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 10:01:45 AM »

should be using 8lb the most for these pinks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 10:36:18 AM »

What lb. test are you using ?

lowlight

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 11:31:06 AM »

I have 10 lb on right now. I'll respool with 6 lb or 8 (whatever I have around here)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 11:35:32 AM »

No don't go down to 6lb test. Either 8 or 10 is fine. The line is not an issue! With the water clarity so poor, the fish are not going to see it. The retrieve speed is the factor. Slow it down, so the fish has a chance to see it. If you hit bottom after you slow it down, downsize your spoon. Change the pattern of your retrieve during each cast too. I would go fast fast, slow slow, etc. Rod tip points towards the water, not high up. Let the spoon sink for about five seconds after it falls in the water.

lowlight

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005, 11:53:58 AM »

No don't go down to 6lb test. Either 8 or 10 is fine. The line is not an issue! With the water clarity so poor, the fish are not going to see it. The retrieve speed is the factor. Slow it down, so the fish has a chance to see it. If you hit bottom after you slow it down, downsize your spoon. Change the pattern of your retrieve during each cast too. I would go fast fast, slow slow, etc. Rod tip points towards the water, not high up. Let the spoon sink for about five seconds after it falls in the water.

That's exactly what I do :(

Anyone who has a tide chart that they KNOW is correct, can you confirm this page for me? Is it off at all?

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/monthly.php/van

No_way

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 12:06:25 PM »

That's exactly what I do :(

Anyone who has a tide chart that they KNOW is correct, can you confirm this page for me? Is it off at all?

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/monthly.php/van

I use that chart all the time.  Seems fine to me.

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
May the fish be with you!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2005, 01:34:05 PM »

I really don't get what I am doing wrong... I was out there for at least 2 hours today, pinks jumping all around me. At one point, no less than THREE jumped within metres of me AT THE SAME TIME...

I have tried all different bright spoons, varying my cast speed all the time. I cast upstream, downstream, in the middle.. I try near the top of the surface, bottom of the river (bad idea - lost 2 lures that way)

I really am getting frustrated. I felt like throwing my rod in the river today.

I wonder if I should be using lighter line... hmmm

Better yet just look for Rodney's car,  He drives a jet black Hummer with the plates "ILUV2FSH. ;D ;D ;D

Double Underhooks

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 01:41:24 PM »

Don't forget the 22" spinner wheels (made from Colorado blades), the jumping fish emblem that looks like the Jaguar's emblem and the fishing pole antenna ;)

Now thats pimpin'