Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 15th  (Read 3819 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser, Richmond September 15th
« on: September 15, 2005, 04:58:28 PM »

I sneaked out for 1.5 hours between work this afternoon to get it another go. I started around 1:00pm during low tide and was hoping to bump into a thick school of fish like what I did yesterday around the same tide. Not a whole lot to report today, for once. There were fish around, just not in the large quantity like we saw the last two weeks. I spotted the odd surfacings once awhile. During this time, I managed to hook and land one, and missed a couple of hits.

On the way home, I stopped by to see lucky, Chrome Mykiss' dad, canoeman to see how the fishing was. They reported the same thing. Lucky is lucky as usual. ;) He managed to hook into four fish. :)

There have been commercial openings (both seine and gill nets) in Johnstone Strait since Wednesday, so that's obviously affecting the fishing result. It's not impossible to catch them right now, you just won't experience that many hookups.

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • Bait ban is in effect between September 6th and October 7th
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

lowlight

Re: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 15th
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 05:19:25 PM »

I was out today around 3pm and it was the same. Not a single fish even jumped near me. That is a first for me in quite a while.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 06:00:20 PM »

Not so lucky today :(, a few fish lost, but that I can deal with, when I went back to my truck there was a parking ticket on the window.  Will be going to court to dispute it, for one thing as I understand it there were warnings handed out last week, I never received any warnings and I cannot understand how they can warn some people but yet ticket others, to me this is discriminatory.  Also the no parking signs are not well placed, they are there but not were people are actually parking in the pullout areas.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 06:18:37 PM »

Yup, my dad got a ticket also.  I was going to head out tonight also....probably best I didn't.  It's really too bad as there is really no harm in our parking along that road, especially in the pullouts....

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 06:54:58 PM »

One of the pullout area is for sure no parking as the no parking sign is located in the pullout.

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 07:18:48 PM »

:-\ Not very good from myself either. It's like someone turned off the switch today after a couple of very good days. Same report from north & south arm  :'( If you don't know the run, you would think the season was over.

Anyone know how long the Commercial opening was for? Was it open for days? Is it over?
May the fish be with you!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 07:44:59 PM »

Not so lucky today :(, a few fish lost, but that I can deal with, when I went back to my truck there was a parking ticket on the window.  Will be going to court to dispute it, for one thing as I understand it there were warnings handed out last week, I never received any warnings and I cannot understand how they can warn some people but yet ticket others, to me this is discriminatory.  Also the no parking signs are not well placed, they are there but not were people are actually parking in the pullout areas.

Let us know the result of your appeal.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 07:58:51 PM »

I'll be stopping by tomorrow afternoon (friday), I'm fishing with a buddy tomorrow, so if you see a girl fishing with a shaggy blond guy (with sunglasses probably), give me a shout, I'm the shaggy guy... ;D Got a levelwind and a spinning rig.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 08:01:14 PM »

When you mentioned you're bringing a buddy yesterday, you didn't mention it is a girl. :o ;D Well, shaggy guy... ;D Have fun tomorrow, I might drop by.

lowlight

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 08:09:52 PM »

You knew they gave out warnings (even though you didn't get one yourself) yet you still parked there? On what grounds do you plan on disputing this ticket?

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 08:20:39 PM »

The bylaw officer told me that last week they handed out warnings, I feel the no parking signs are badly placed and I dont understand how some people could get off with a warning and others simply fined.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 08:53:35 PM »

was also there. got a warning from a fellow fisherman who was just leaving in a hurry that the bylaw guy was giving tickets. me and my buddy drove away to the other side and fished for a while. lots of tugboat traffic and dead slow....a couple of jumpers and very quiet. didn't know about the commercial openings either. will there be another opening tommorrow as well?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 09:15:04 PM »

The commercial fishery was opened until yesterday (Wednesday) 19:00 in Areas 12 and 13. The notices indicate no further openings were anticipated before the next Fraser River Panel meetin (September 16th) due to low abundance of pink salmon. :o

Areas 12 and 13 are in Johnstone Strait, which means the impact of that fishery will most likely last until this weekend.

There are also other openings. Area 16 has a gill net opening until September 16th 08:00. Area 16 includes Texada Island, Lasqueti Island, Jervis Inlet. This means the weekend's pink fishery around the Lower Fraser River will most likely be poor.

gman

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 10:22:11 PM »

I spoke to a friend that fishes pinks on the Harrisson. He goes every pink year on Sept 15 (figures its near the peak) and typically catches and releases dozens on his fly rod. He went today and did not land a fish.  :o He says the only sign of pinks was at the confluence with the Fraser - maybe mainstem fish briefly holding before moving on up the Fraser. He was speculating that the run must be late. Lets hope so!

Headshake

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 10:39:18 PM »

Well I feel a little justified. Poor reports make me feel better about missing the upcoming weekend fishing. My exploring of the fraser on Wednesday cost me some points at home, so my wife will be having away time while I spend time with my little fisherpeople at home. I don't mind since the fishing looks to be slow for the weekend.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!