Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 21st  (Read 3803 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser, Richmond September 21st
« on: September 21, 2005, 11:29:45 AM »

News flash! Landing ratio has risen to... 75%! ;D

Surprisingly, I actually pulled myself out of bed at 6:30am again. ::) I managed to swing my leg and smack it right into my cat's head while getting up as she was sleeping by my feet. :-[

Anyways, I thought this morning I would beat Fish Assassin to the spot and claim my rock, but not so! The sneaky guy decided to arrive 15 minutes earlier than yesterday. :P It didn't seem to matter anyways, as the tide was still fairly low, but the view was fantastic. A thin layer of mist laid on top of the water, occasionally a tug boat would cut through the layer as it made its way upstream.

We casually made some casts while sipping our coffee. The water was still fairly shallow, most of the fish were travelling further out, not reachable by our casting ability.

An hour or so later, as the tide rolled in, the odd fish surfaced closer in.

First fish

My first fish hit it hard just several feet from shore while I was having a conversation. It took me by surprise as none of us were getting bites at all. This fish took some quick runs, but its strength indicated that it was a female. The highlight of the fight included a huge leap that she made right in front of me. FA was kind enough to drop his rod and netted the fish for me. First one in the cooler in just over a week, and the first female pink I hooked in ten days!

Second fish

Second fish also hit the spoon very close to shore while I was talking. This fish ran along the shallow part by the rocks. If that wasn't challenging enough, FA decided to do a birdnest on his ABU and forming a monofilament wall between me and the fish. :o I had to leap over his line, to chase the fish, which then decided to turn around and go under his line. ::) Eventually I guided it into a net. A buck with a fairly developed hump already, so off he went back into the river.

Third fish

The third fish came just 20 minutes or so before I left. It made a few kicks after grabbing the spoon and quickly got off as the tension was a bit loose.

Third & a half fish ;D

Two casts later, another fish grabbed the spoon hard close to shore. This time I set the hook even harder and it immediately jet towards me. I quickly picked up the slack. After a quick glance as it swam by me in the shallows, I knew it wasn't a pink. 30 seconds later I grabbed onto this huge pikeminnow's lips and showcased it to FA as he has never seen one that big. ;D FA even still had my net in his hand as he thought the fish was too big to be handled by hand. ;)

Forth fish

The forth fish bit the lure right before I decided to leave. A small school of fish apparently arrived with the peak tide. This fish strangely didn't fight much at all. It made a few kicks and it was ready to be netted. As I guided it closer to FA, who already lowered himself to scoop, the fish made some nice tail whips, splashing FA right in the face. ;D It then circled around and came back for the second time, and did another tail whip to further provide its cold shower service for FA. ;D Finally, after several attempts, FA scooped him up. A quick laugh and we let him back to the river again.

Lucky just arrived before I was leaving. He, Pierboy, Perch and FA are still out there searching for those illusive pinks this morning. ;D There were not many fish, but still enough to provide some actions.

15 minute drive, good company, 3 hours of fishing with one fresh salmon in the cooler. It's the good life in Vancouver. :)

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • Bait ban is in effect between September 6th and October 7th
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 21st
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:44:44 PM »

Rodney, you have a vivid imagination. I was nowhere near the Fraser today, matter of fact I just got out of bed 30 minutes ago ;D. Nice of you to think of me though.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:50:24 PM »

Holly FA is your spirit fishing even when you're asleep ?!?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 01:20:05 PM »

Holly FA is your spirit fishing even when you're asleep ?!?

24/7 ! ;D You think Rodney fish alot ? Today's trip was my 95th of the year !

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 01:21:31 PM »

Rodney, you have a vivid imagination. I was nowhere near the Fraser today, matter of fact I just got out of bed 30 minutes ago ;D. Nice of you to think of me though.

You do realize it is ok to admit that you got skunked right? ;D I do it all the time... :-[

You sure made that piece of log leap pretty high today though. ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 02:01:01 PM »

Somehow you forgot who hooked the first pink. ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 04:26:32 PM »

Hey guys ...great to hear you had some luck on such a beautiful morning.  What would my best bet be to find out where some of these decent spots are to fish, and what to use....from reading the forums I hear that your spoons are the bomb, Rodney, but how do i get a hold of them??? and are they fished like any old spoon?  I feel stupid asking these questions, because i know nobody likes to give up their spots, ever, but the most i've ascertained is "pull over on dyke road" so far.  Any suggestions?

thanks, Marmot

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 06:00:33 PM »

nice fish Rod, on my lunch break my co worker and i were sitting on the river bank having our lunch when we seen quite a few jumpers so i shoveled my sandwich back and headed over to my car to get my rod after about 15Min's nothing as we had to go back and work

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 06:48:12 PM »

I don't have anymore spoons until next Tuesday.

Best to drive around to new spots if one spot has not been producing, there are at least a dozen different fishing locations in Richmond, and many more in Delta, Surrey and Maple Ridge. The location isn't a huge factor, timing and getting the retrieve speed right are. Aim for the last two hours of the incoming tide.

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 07:51:18 PM »

I went there for 45min after work. I was able to land 1. Didn't see any other hookups.

Thanks again to Rod's Spoon!!!
May the fish be with you!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 07:59:49 PM »

Thanks Rodney....  how does one go about getting these coveted spoons once you have some?  I'd really like to buy a few  :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 08:08:11 PM »

Thanks Rodney....  how does one go about getting these coveted spoons once you have some?  I'd really like to buy a few  :)

Send him a PM or email. You can catch pinks on other types of spoons such as Crocs, Hotrods etc. Having said that, Rodney's spoons does work and at that price you simply can't beat it.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 08:27:02 PM »

here's an idea. rodney goes e-commerce. open up a retail spot on this website where we have a chance of oredering your spoons. the spoons will be delivered within 2-3 working days through snail mail(canada post). i smell money to be made!

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 09:42:28 PM »

here's an idea. rodney goes e-commerce. open up a retail spot on this website where we have a chance of oredering your spoons. the spoons will be delivered within 2-3 working days through snail mail(canada post). i smell money to be made!

Believe it or not, Rodney has been working on opening an online store for 2 years now....... ::)  ::)  ;D  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 09:47:11 PM »

:P

The biology background is not helping, need a business degree.... :(