Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser Sept. 22  (Read 2983 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Lower Fraser Sept. 22
« on: September 22, 2005, 04:55:04 PM »

Just came back from an afternoon outing on the Lower Fraser. Unbelievably, there was nobody on the stretch I was fishing. Absolutely nobody except for the occasional vehicle going by. Saw only one jumper in the time I was there. The highlight of the afternoon was a confrontation between an eagle and a seal for a pink. It was an amazing sight. The eagle in full flight with the talons extended ready to catch its evening dinner. Just as it was about to pluck the salmon, there was a big splash in the water. A seal surfaced with the eagle's intended victim in its mouth ! The eagle was quite irrate at the chain of events as it kept diving trying to retrieve it's dinner while at the same time the seal was slamming the poor pink on the water. Quite an amazing sight !

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: Lower Fraser Sept. 22
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 05:16:34 PM »

don't see to many eagles around anymore,and to boot it's fighting for it's dinner with a seal cool

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 06:02:15 PM »

Thats cool!Saw some FN boats out today in Ladner what were they after,Any one know.?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 08:34:17 PM »

An eagle and a seal fighting over the same pink... that says a lot for the state of our salmon stocks  :'(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 08:49:55 PM »

I've seen Eagles catch salmon before its really amazing. Do you notice how they're picky like we are as I've never seen one pick up a chum boot.

Eagles feed on dead chums. You see them all the time in Squamish.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 07:03:57 AM »

The neatest thing I saw was an eagle that stole someone's sockeye (gutted and sitting by the river edge with rocks surounding it) a few year's back.  I thought that was really funny. ;D
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

meca_357

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 11:06:16 AM »

In colombia i got an eagle snatch a bass off my hook when i was fighting it it must of ripped the hook right out of the mouth it was nuts... also thsi year up in nootka some cod would take our lure and we'd reel it in and release them a second after we'd let it go an eagle would take it right out of the water. at one point we even spotted and eagle that kept flying from branch to branch following us.. .quite a nice bud to have around ;D