Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River: Oct.2  (Read 6700 times)

mark

Vedder River: Oct.2
« on: October 02, 2005, 08:57:34 AM »

Went out to look at the river and the conditions were as I predicted it is now perfect color today a little clay still so the fish won't spook as easy , but still clear enough for the fish to see the bait. So lets here those good reports.

hawg hunter

Re: Vedder River: Oct.2
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 04:41:31 PM »

Went out this am and was pretty quiet til' about 11:00, for me that is. Managed to hook up with a good size spring that decided to release itself about 12 feet from the beach. Had many other hook ups but only landed one Chum and one jack spring. Did manager to "save" a 40-50lb spring that got itself into trouble in the shallow water. Have a great picture but don't know how to post on this site.
There was another fellow who was putting on a clinic beside me. Caught four jacks and one large spring. All were released. This was done in a span of about an hour. Only heard of one Coho caught in the area I was fishing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 04:43:51 PM by hawg hunter »
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:46:49 PM »

hey hawg..were you using roe or spinners? thanks.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 05:53:57 PM »

Bug pumper, my dad, and I headed out this morning....very slow start to the season.  With 2.5 hrs of fishing in the canal, my dad had 2 connections with just one chrome jack spring to the beach.  Saw 2 snagged fish tear down the river from the beak fest under the bridge but other than that it was quite there too.  As reported, water was very clear.

Went up river to to a place that was good to us this summer and hammered them there once again.  All springs but it was really consistant fishing for 1.5 hrs - nice to have a bend in the rod.  Unfortunately it was all spring action; in all we beached 2 jacks, a 14 lb doe that turned pretty quick and a really clean, almost chrome 25+ doe.   Water in the upper river was maybe 2-3 feet with a clayish tinge, all taken on roe with double red seemingly being the preferred color.

hawg hunter

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 06:58:07 PM »

Het redtide, I was using roe sacks in natural and double red. The red seemed to fair better. Also tried pro curred shrimp, something that worked lat year but to no avail. Also tried globs of roe, but no luck. The fellow fishing beside me had curred pink roe and it seem to be irresistible. Tossed a few spinners earlier in the day also to no avail. I also had luck on  a goey bob as well.
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Vedder 2nd
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 08:08:00 PM »

Hmmm, where are all the reports? I saw so many people on the river today! Well i only had 3 hours to fish, I started in the upper river and ended up hooking 1 pink and 2 ok looking jack springs of about 10 pounds. After landing my second jack spring right after the previous, some guys moved in and took over my spot, so off i left. The next spot I tryed was the lower, saw some guys walking away with heavy garbage bags :) so i went down and tryed my luck where they had left, and ran into 2 friends. We talked a bit and they told me they have been pulling out big springs all day. Third cast and BOOM big fish, wasn't nearly as strong as i would exspect it to be, but was a good 30 pound white which I released. Between the 3 of us we played about 7 more 30 pound springs and then headed home by 1. The river was in primo shapo, just enough for the fish to hide.
The Bigger The Better!

mark

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 08:25:39 PM »

Went to check out the river with some of my 11 erbs & spices roe, but to no avail I got nothing hmmmmm. I saw alot of springs and chum rising but that was it.
Where I was fishing there was a fella bottom bouncing for fish and I looked over and he had a fish on, he played it for a bit then landed it and bonked it. I was now thinking yeehaa. A little while later this fella got his stuff together and left, but the only problem was he had no fish to carry HMMMMM. So when he left I decided to go over and investigate and to my surprize it was about a 20lbs spring but it was a black boot. The roe was taken out and the fish left ERRRRR. The guy should have not killed the fish if he wasn't going to keep it thats poaching. I say gut him and leave him and see how he likes it. Some people make me sick with their ethnic way of fishing. I got the plate # but it will remain anonamous here, but it was a white chevy suv. >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 08:46:13 PM by mark »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 08:30:34 PM »

He could have been charged with wasting fish. :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 08:31:26 PM »

That's a sad story mark, unfortunately it seems to be happening more often than before. Sadly, this would be the driving force for a bait ban.

Hey, ethnic way, or ethic way? ;)

mark

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 08:44:06 PM »

Oops fishing without any ethics. ::)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 08:51:45 PM by mark »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 09:04:30 PM »

Yes too bad people just kill the fish for the roe. >:( Yesterday I saw 3 fish with the same thing done to them, one chum and two pinks. :'(

Went out for a little over a hour this evening, did not even get a bite.

Water was perfect tonight. Will have to scout around tomorrow morning to see were the coho are hiding, they have to be somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 09:07:56 PM by chris gadsden »

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 09:30:11 PM »

The day started early as the alarm sounded at 4:00am I was up in a flash put on the coffee and waited for Bobby B. to arrive at 5:00am. We loaded our gear into his van and it was off to the Vedder with anticipation of what lay ahead. After the hour drive we arrived at our predetermined spot in mid river. We parked and headed right to our spot, excellent nobody there but the water just didn't look like coho water to me so I left Bobby to ply the water with his blue fox spinner as I headed up river a little.

I got to a little spot that we passed on the way in, but there was 4 anglers already hard at it when I arrived. So I started about 100 yards below them. I baited up with my double red hot stuff spring roe and adjusted my float to around three feet then sent my offerings out to the calm water. On my fourth cast my "Randog" float takes a deep dive, fish on, after a short tussle I released a spring Jack. Another ten minuets pass and down she goes again another spring jack, quick c&r and I'm once again fishing. Not a couple of casts and bang, the unmistakable pin wheel of a nice chrome coho. My Silex was screaming that sweet purrrr that only a Silex can make. After several leaps she spit my #1/0 gammy and swam free. Not a bad start I say to myself. After 2 more jack springs (I kept one as he was bleeding badly) and one more coho to the beach, the anglers from up river saw some of the fish I was hooking and decided to investigate what I was doing, so I figured it was time to go so I  went and got Bobby B. and we went to the pointa Vista for breakfast. ;D ;D

After talking to the owners I found out that today is the last day they're open. Yep the ol' Pointa Vista is officially gone. After years of steak and eggs and the works omelet there, I'm going to miss going that place. Here's a picture of Me(Randog) Penny, Bonny, and Bobby B.

(note to self: WASH YOUR WADERS)

After breakfast we headded off to Freds tackle to drop off some donations to Peter M. who will pass them along to Chris Gadsden for the SDA event this Nov. 18th.

Then it was off to the lower section of the river to hunt down some more coho. No luck on the coho, and was a little disappointed to see all the people doing the "quick rip" hook set. Not needed people as coho WILL take bait.

So Bobby B. and I found some more "Sweet water" and we short floated roe and connected with several more fish but I only managed to beach this girl.

All in all it was a good day on the Vedder, and my new Super Silex got it's first of may workouts.

R'Dog

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 09:39:11 PM »

Nice fish randy. looks like you'll have some roe. You missed out on my beautiful pink roe. used 2/3 of it and cured the rest. Neways i got tuesdays and fridays off now. Wanna fish? i get off school at 12.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 09:40:25 PM »

Randy... carry a towel, that roe stain is nasty... They actually let you into the store with that?! hahaha... ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 09:43:30 PM »

Good report Randy. Sorry to hear that the Pointa Vista restaurant is closing. Going to miss their steaks and eggs. Where am I going to eat now ??