Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Oct. 4  (Read 4378 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Capilano Oct. 4
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:38:18 AM »

Just returned from an hour on the Cap. Water is down approx. 12" from yesterday. No sign of springs or cohos. Managed to hook one ugly chum. (The works - big teeth, purple bars, black chin etc)

coleg

Re: Capilano Oct. 4
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 01:09:10 PM »

Can somebody clarify retention of chinooks at Cap? Regulations posted at Cable pool states 'no fishing for chinooks until Oct 16' whereas online regulation (http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm) says 'Jan 01-Dec 31
 4 per day, only 1 may be over 62cm.'

I've heard people taking chinooks lately and other people blaming them.
Confused :o

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 02:22:36 PM »

You are allowed to retain 4 chinooks but only one can be over 62 cms. The daily limit is still 4, any combination of cohos and chinooks.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 05:28:52 PM »

Thats an old notice...they should update it!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 06:24:10 PM »

Just got back from the cap, tried a few different locations and ended up just down from the hwy bridge.  Feeling a little sick to my stomach from watching all the long floaters snag fish, I think Im just about ready to give up river fishing.  And to the white guy with black work overalls and goattee, good job on the fish you snagged and bonked, hope that you take it home and make your family real proud of the fish you snagged.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 07:26:12 PM by Rodney »

phatwop

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 07:27:01 PM »

i hear you. the snagging under the highway bridge is brutal. i arrived at first light this morning with a buddy and we were pretty vocal in a non-confrontational tone with how people were getting fish and kept asking loudly, "are you allowed to keep fish hooked in it's side?", " because i'm positive that you're not." some let their fish go, others just left.

it's a small area by that pool, so people feel quite defensive all the time and i think their guilt gets the better of them eventually and they leave after seeing that there are some people who aren't into snagging fish. most are snagging chums for roe and leave the carcass for the seagulls and eagles.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 07:32:50 PM »

coleg, an email has been sent to the DFO staff responsible for those notices and hopefully it will be taken care of soon. Please send me an email if you don't see any changes next time when you're out there.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:57:19 PM »

what i still havnt seen a chum on the cap river? do they not go up to the hatchery>

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 10:02:24 PM »

Maybe they spawn in Brother's Creek which flows in to the Cap a little further down.  I love fishing that Highway bridge pool, and the strange thing is that I have never seen anyone snagging fish there.   There is the odd time, but they've all been put back.  Haven't been out yet this year though.

coleg

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 11:27:09 PM »

coleg, an email has been sent to the DFO staff responsible for those notices and hopefully it will be taken care of soon. Please send me an email if you don't see any changes next time when you're out there.

Thanks Rod for follow up. I left them voice mail as well, hopefully they will get back one way or other. Consistency of regulation versions will remove unnecessary tensions between anglers :)

tookie

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 09:42:13 AM »

I founds a few chum in a pool just down from the suspension bridge, so I do believe they head all the way to the hatchery.  Up until this year I had no idea that there were chum in this river. 

Went fishing yesterday and found no fish.  Oh well, time to hit the vedder.

Cheers,

Tookie

meca_357

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »

tookie you got mail

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 01:25:03 PM »

I thought the chums were all from Brothers cr.?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 01:46:35 PM »

coleg or anyone else, is that notice at Cable pool a paper notice or a metal sign?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 02:10:10 PM »

Paper notice