Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River October 6th  (Read 5772 times)

bruce

Chilliwack River October 6th
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:29:09 PM »

Reached there at 11:00 , choose a place where the current is fast, the chanel is narrow, cast my float to the edge of the fast current, after several cast, fish on, an about 15lbs spring sticked in the water, I know it is a fish, but it just stays there without any move, so I decide to move down, suddenly the fish rush to the upstream like an arrow, I never saw fish swimming in so fast water towards upstream after gets hooked, just exactly before it would jump to the upper step, I stopped the line, so it started swimming downstream. It is so hard to land a fish when standing on rock, several times I almost dragged the fish to the shore but it swimmed away immediately,  later my line became loose, it's gone.  Then I did next cast, fish on again, this time I didn't try to land it soon, just let it swim upstream and downstream, if it stayed, I would move, finally the fish seemed no more power, I dragged my leader to the shore, and picked up the fish. It is a 15lbs white spring.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 04:50:24 PM by Rodney »

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Lickman road Oct. 6th
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 04:07:04 PM »

Any pics? also did you see any coho landed?
[

bruce

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 04:12:54 PM »

sorry no pic because not brought camare when fishing. I saw a guy hooked a small coho at the other side of the river but after several jumps it's gone.

bruce

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 04:16:42 PM »

Hi I have a question about coho fishing :

Why don't we use fresh salmon roe to fishing coho ? We have to cure the roe before fishing ? thx

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 04:24:10 PM »

So that it doesn't break apart during casting and certain chemical in the procure that attracts the fish.

Procure seems to outfish plain roe.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River October 6th
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 05:04:06 PM »

You can use fresh roe. The problem is that it will disolved away quickly.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 05:17:48 PM »

I ventured out to the river again this morning hoping to find some fish before this rain raises the water level. The drive was shorter than I calculated, probably because this time I did not stop at Tim Horton's for coffee. ;D While sitting in the car at the dark parking lot, I felt a sudden loneliness, so I decided to phone Chrome Mykiss at 6:10am. ;D Chrome Mykiss had told me last night that he would be on the river today too.

The phone rang a few times, a sleepy voice answered.

"Hullo...", CM greeted.
"GOOD MORNING!", I answered "Where are you starting today?"
"Dude, I'm still sleeping..."

:o

Now this was a first, Chrome Mykiss actually decided to sleep through the first light bite!

"Oops, sorry... I'll let you back to bed now... Call later for a report..." :-[

Soon after the phone call, Trout Slayer pulled up beside me. We both geared up very quickly, and began our walk to the river bank. When we arrived, it was still dark. We ended up standing on the bank for another 15 minutes before fishing started. ::) Keeners or idiots? I'll let you decide that. ;)

Condition was fantastic in my opinion. The water level was great, colour was fantastic, but the runs where I expected to produce fish did not. ::) The lower river was awfully quiet, from first light until 10:30am, I did not have a single hit. Maybe my magical chum roe had lost its charm?

While working from one run to the next, we came across this dead wild coho on the bank. This was obviously a pre-spawning fish, based on its body colouration. How it died would remain a mystery. It may possibly be due to natural causes, or it may have been mistakenly killed by an angler who then realized that wild fish cannot be kept. An unfortunate sight indeed.

Around late morning, I decided to leave Trout Slayer and head for mid river, where I joined Chrome Mykiss who finally made a few casts just before I arrived there. ::)

We decided to fish some faster sections, where I normally ignore as I prefer to fish with small sensitive float in the slow flowing water. Chrome Mykiss showed me where he was getting some chinook jacks last weekend. Skeptical, I started making some casts to drifts where the fish might sit.

During the first drift at a new slot, the float was buried so fast that it pulled the tip of my rod down. Startled, I yanked the rod hard and the fish immediately sprinted out into the main channel, where it used the fast current as an advantage against me. It was a adult chinook, between 10 and 15lb. The fish's body was shiny, but had a copper colour to it. Chrome Mykiss' dad sat patiently and waited for me to guide the fish to his feet, so he could tail it. After battling it a few minutes, it was just about ready. The hook however decided to say goodbye to the fish, and flew out as the fish approached shore. Not to worry, I was glad it released itself as my thumb was already quite burnt from slowing the fish down.

Not long after, I was able to find another fish at the end of a different slot! This time it came straight to the surface, splashed a few times and got off quite easily. >:( It was either a chinook jack or coho, certainly a very chrome one. The pulls on the float in fast water sections are certainly hard, as the fish do not hesitate when an offering is placed right in front of them.

The rain started coming down heavily around 3pm, I decided it was time to head home. Not a productive day, but I had a great time experiencing those two float burials.

Today's KWB photo ;)

I guess one way to avoid getting wet on a rainy day is to stand under a bridge. ;D ::)

Few things to remember
  • You need a freshwater fishing licence when fishing the Chilliwack River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish below the Vedder Crossing in Chilliwack River.
  • Daily quota for hatchery coho salmon is four fish in Chilliwack River. Hatchery coho salmon have no adipose fin.
  • Daily quota for chum salmon is one fish in Chilliwack River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in Chilliwack River, but only one maybe over 62cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed.
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail. Coho salmon have tiny black spots on its back and upper tail, and white gum.
  • Please note that some sockeye salmon in the Chilliwack River also do not have an adipose fin.
  • Complete Chilliwack River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Please phone DFO Chilliwack 604-702-2278 if you observe a violation.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 05:26:24 PM »

Caught nothing but springs and spring jacks today. Kept a chrome spring jack. Saw DFO down at the KWB checking hooks and licenses and maybe snaggers.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 05:28:09 PM »

Today's KWB photo

That should be a daily post
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 05:39:57 PM »

Good to see them down there!!

I was wondering ... when you guys fish the faster water , are the fish taking it at full speed or are you slowing it down for them?
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 05:51:41 PM »

I don't think it matters if its fast or slow water. Today, I was fishing water that was hardly moving but the spring and jacks would just hammer my roe without hesitation. In faster water, they have less time to think.

James

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 06:03:36 PM »

Good report , do you change you setup any to fish the faster waters ? ie: leader test , bait size ?

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 06:07:28 PM »

I use smaller bait for slow moving water and bigger chunks for faster water. Small bait means smaller hooks and sometimes lighter leader.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 06:09:15 PM »

James, good question as I forgot to include that in my report.

While fishing the faster water today, I increased the size of my float therefore the size of my weight (Drennan Zeppler 11 gram to 20 gram), as well as shorten the leader to 10 inches. Because the drift is so short, fast, you want your bait/presentation reach the zone right away. If your leader is too long, the presentation will still be above the zone even though the weight reaches down right away. When I am fishing slower flows such as the waters you find downstream of the Vedder Crossing, my leader length is around 1.5 to 2 feet.

The takes in the fast waters seem hard because as the fish bite the bait, the float is still being pushed downstream by the strong current.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 08:14:56 PM »

Lots.....of springs if you can get them to bite, you will have a blast with those monster!!!!