Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder October 7th, Water Conditions  (Read 3476 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Vedder October 7th, Water Conditions
« on: October 07, 2005, 08:07:30 PM »

Slipped out for the last two hours of daylight for a little fishing and check the water conditions for the weekend fishers.

The river had improved a lot from this morning and was in perfect condition in my mind so if no heavy rain overnight tomorrow should be a perfect start for the Thanksgiving Weekend.

Hopefuil as well there will be some coho to catch as they are long overdue.

Tonight all I could catch coho wise was a unclipped jack that hooked itself as I was watching an Amercian Dipper chasing, catching and then eating a moth. ::) Did not even have the pleasure of seeing the drennan float going under because of this.

Also were bothered by a lot of small smolts that kept robbing my spring and pink roe. Anyone else having the same problem. I even landed one about 3 inchs long.

Saw a number of fish surfacing at dark once again, most of them looked like springs

So with 5 trips under my belt a poor record so far this season on the Vedder, two Coho jacks, one spring, one unclipped coho and tonights smolt. O yes, and that sucker on my first outing :-[

Things should improve shortly.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Vedder October 7th, Water Conditions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 08:20:01 PM »

I also had that problem alot of smolts eating my roe bag.Those littles guys can make your float dive good lol all I got today was 2 nice spring jacks and lost one ho.By the way whats with all the spring jacks this year?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 08:22:05 PM »

I also had that problem alot of smolts eating my roe bag.Those littles guys can make your float dive good lol all I got today was 2 nice spring jacks and lost one ho.By the way whats with all the spring jacks this year?
Maybe the jack springs are better biters than the coho. :-\

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 08:23:49 PM »

They sure are good bitters plus there alot of fun to catch ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 08:28:34 PM »

Yah i noticed that also the jacks are bigger in numbers then any year if fished on the vedder. I persnonaly think they are a waste of a spring :P weird little guys they are do they dicide to come early or did they just not eat as much as their friends?
[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 08:32:16 PM »

Yah i noticed that also the jacks are bigger in numbers then any year if fished on the vedder. I persnonaly think they are a waste of a spring :P weird little guys they are do they dicide to come early or did they just not eat as much as their friends?

Waste of a spring? How so? I love the spring jacks. They are great BBQ'd if you get them home clean them and wrap them up with your favorite spices and veggies.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 08:49:54 PM »

Thanks Chris that was what I was looking for.  The river will be perfect, the coho might be there, which would be perfect, might even get a big chrome spring, that would be perfect as well.  Seems to me that a perfect way to finish a Saturday would be to watch the leafs get hammered!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D While watching the Canucks win again!!!!! ;D ;D
Aw, now that would bey a perfect day!!!!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 09:08:20 PM »

Thanks for the report. I will be taking my son out tomorrow and hopefully he connects with a spring jack or two to keep his interest going. He is at the age when he decides to continue going fishing with the old guy or changes his interest to other things. Its nice to have a few hours together to talk about things other then getting him to finish his homework.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 09:18:57 PM »

Thanks for the report. I will be taking my son out tomorrow and hopefully he connects with a spring jack or two to keep his interest going. He is at the age when he decides to continue going fishing with the old guy or changes his interest to other things. Its nice to have a few hours together to talk about things other then getting him to finish his homework.
Hope you can find a fish or two, the river conditions should be good. With a bit of colour in the water the fish will be moving most of the day I think. If you find a good spot stick it out for a while as the fish will be coming by you and hopefully some are biters. Even if you do not get a fish having your son with you will make it a very successful day. It will be another day to remember for you both as it was with my sons as we talk about our numerous fishing trips from many years ago to this day. Precious memories to say the least.

Now with two grandsons and another addition due any day now more good times ahead. ;D

Good luck tomorrow.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 09:21:25 PM »

I am in the same situation as you. My son is 9 in one month and he is just bordering on whether he wants to fish or just stay home and play videogames. Most of the time lately he has been choosing videogames   :(

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 09:50:35 PM »

fishing with dad tomorrow (plan on "forgetting" his spinning reel to finally introduce him toa  levelwind for drift fishing... 8) ). I'm 18 and still love fishing with my dad.

Gonna probably hike around until we find a "crowd" and then hike down stream of them, at least that's the plan. If you see a guy wearing a black ACDC sweater, say hi.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 09:58:55 PM »

fishing with dad tomorrow (plan on "forgetting" his spinning reel to finally introduce him toa  levelwind for drift fishing... 8) ). I'm 18 and still love fishing with my dad.

Gonna probably hike around until we find a "crowd" and then hike down stream of them, at least that's the plan. If you see a guy wearing a black ACDC sweater, say hi.
Good luck to you as well. If you combined a Maple Leaf Hat with that ACDC sweater it will increase your chances. ;D ;D

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 11:11:31 PM »

I might as well throw my rod in the river...  :-X ;D

Got the usual king-fisher hat on, the fact that it has "fisher" in it has to do something for me
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote