Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct. 7 Fish On........and gone! >:(  (Read 4298 times)

SockeyeJunkie

• Where's the steelhead sherpa?
Vedder Oct. 7 Fish On........and gone! >:(
« on: October 07, 2005, 09:08:24 PM »

Fished the Vedder today in a few different spots. Started below Tamihi due to the high/ dirty water. I always use peach colored wool that has been soaked in single egg juice in the fast moving water and it always seems to work for coho. Roe is my first choice and then maybe egg sacks, but I accidentally discovered the wool in egg juice ~ 5 years ago when I dropped a piece of wool into a zip lock bag that I had some egg sacks in. Worked well on that day and has been my go to in fast water for coho since then.

Got there at about 7 a.m. Didn't have any bites until about 9 a.m. Fish on, surfaced, jumped, diffinite coho. Then in ran to the middle of the river and put my line around a rock. It was then just the coho vs. my 8 lb leader. The leader snapped about mid way. The water volume was high today and the color like chocolate milk. Normally I can see the rocks and avoid them, but today was tuff. Re-rigged and 20 minutes later another fish on. Another coho. This one to the shore and damn........wild. Let go and yes still in the water. About 20 minutes later another fish on, this one nose dived to the bottom and middle of the run, most likely a spring. My leader didn't last long and it was snapped again. Fished there until about noon. Saw a lot of pinks landed (suprisingly & most quite chrome) and released. A few springs landed. One hatchery coho landed in the time I was there as well as one other wild coho (and released).

Next stop, nice run between tamihi and Osbourne. Fished only ~ 45 minutes. One on, a spring ( I suspect). Nose dived, middle of the river, took me down stream and then back up stream as I tried to baby it with the 8 lb. leader. Finally it snapped off as I ran out of room (very rocky shore).

Last stop, ranger. Fished ~ 45 minutes. Spring on and same story, lost. Saw a lot of spring surfacing here as this tends to be the last big pool prior to the hatchery.

Fun day, just no fish landed. After fishing low, clear water for a while, I totally forgot to bring my leader boards with the heavier 12 and 15 lb line and I only brought 8 lb in my vest. Live and learn.

gman

Re: Vedder Oct. 7 Fish On........and gone! >:(
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 09:28:57 PM »

I started on the lower river. Visibility was not great but fishable. Had a couple of hookups, first a nice chum, lost it. The a chrome chrome fish of about 10 pounds - lost it too! Moved to a spot on the upper river. The visibilty was a bit better. Hooked into a couple of springs, but with so much flow in the river they were tough to land, so I lost them. Went back to the lower at the end of the day. The water had cleared up quite a bit - very good conditions. Water level still a bit high, but clarity good.  Landed and kept a bright chum doe to finish off a nice day of fishing and exploring.  :)

Looks like conditions should be good for the weekend.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 10:09:10 PM »

Oh wow where are all the people who said they can land big springs with 8-10 pound leaders. I guess im not the only one having that problem eh?
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 10:14:44 PM »

Oh wow where are all the people who said they can land big springs with 8-10 pound leaders. I guess im not the only one having that problem eh?

Right here. ;)

gman

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 10:33:53 PM »

Floater,

In the canal, as in Rod's pictures, you can certainly land springs on 8-10 pound leaders. There is minimal current and room to walk down.

In the rapids of the upper river, with a rocky or brushy shoreline you need to gear up much more than that if you want to get in springs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 10:35:34 PM by gman »

bruce

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 10:39:59 PM »

yeh, in the fast water, 8-10lbs lead is like a grass for spring . Today I lost 10 before I landed one at lickman road the rocky shore.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 10:45:32 PM »

show off.. nice fish :P btw guys do HATCHERY coho go to the stave river? im headin down there tomorrow

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:26:06 PM »

Well if Rodney can show off then so can I. Caight this guy last year in a very fast flowing portion of the river on 10lb line. I don't know what your problem is, but I loose very few fish to my line breaking.

Actions speak louder than words.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 11:42:03 PM »

Sorry rod not impressed with that small spring of yours. :P I have caught ones that eat that spring. ::)
[

fisher88

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 12:32:30 AM »

hey can you get roe premade and ready to put on your hook from stores such as berrys bait?? etc.>?
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 12:34:13 AM »

Yes

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 12:39:37 AM »

hey can you get roe premade and ready to put on your hook from stores such as berrys bait?? etc.>?

Despite what you may have heard... Bigger isn't always better!

Look what happened to the dinos!

gman

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 07:18:13 AM »

Nice spring biffchan. There may be a strong current at that spot as you say, but not compared to the fast stretches of rapids in the upper river. Too often I see people "fishing for coho" on the upper river fishing spring holes and literally hooking and breaking off 10 or 20 fish before getting one in if they are lucky and hook a smaller one. I saw two guys today hook at least a dozen and break off every one in white water. No wonder these fish hit the hatchery with a bunch of hook dangling from them. If people want to target them at those spots they should use appropriate gear. I think the question is not "what pound test", but are you able to get in a good percentage of your fish without them breaking off. If 90% of what someone hooks breaks off, they either are fishing too light for the spot or don't know how to play a fish.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 07:30:26 AM by gman »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 09:32:42 AM »

No wonder these fish hit the hatchery with a bunch of hook dangling from them.

Now see thats the problem. If you foul hook one of those big boys and you've got a lighter leader then you might as well just point your rod straight at the fish.
Actions speak louder than words.

catfish

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 01:27:04 PM »

Nice report SockeyeJunkie

I was there last Mon. and again on Wed... Pretty much the same story lots of fish jumping around but not to many landed. My buddies and I threw everything we had at them but then again "that's fishing". I'll try the cap this coming up Monday.

Message to Rodney...WOW! nice spring dude.

Good fishing...catfish