Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cap Oct. 9  (Read 4580 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Cap Oct. 9
« on: October 09, 2005, 01:02:17 PM »

Had a decent day at the Cap this morning. Between the three of us, hooked and released 3 fish. Snaggers are in their usual spots. You can spot them by their "setting the hook" after every drift. :(

Few things to remember
  • You need a freshwater fishing licence when fishing the Capilano River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your salmon.
  • Daily quota for hatchery coho salmon is four fish in Capilano River. Hatchery coho salmon have no adipose fin.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in Capilano River, but only one maybe over 62cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed. There is a bait ban in effect until October 31st.
  • You must release any pink, chum and sockeye, wild coho and steelhead (both hatchery and wild) carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail. Coho salmon have tiny black spots on its back and upper tail, and white gum.
  • Complete Capilano River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Please phone the ORR line 1-800-465-4336 if you observe a violation.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 03:05:50 PM by Rodney »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Cap Oct. 9
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:16:43 PM »

wow the bite must be hot
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 01:23:10 PM »

It was anything but hot. We really had to work for our fish. The snaggers weren't having any success.   :)

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 02:55:30 PM »

those snaggers drive me crazy... its brudal there gonna wipe out the fish
crab cakes

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 06:13:54 PM »

Better yet. I  hope the stock is eliminated. Then there will be no fishing by anyone PERIOD. Teach everyone a valuable lession.

I was on the Vedder today. Hilarious seeing the guys using the bouncing betties... Even more hilarious to see more than 50 percent of the fish getting foul hooked regardless of hook ups they are using etc.

Glad I only bought a one day license. Time to go back to fishing in the chuck. It was fun, and thanks to my friend for the consideration of inviting me, introducing me again to the experience, and showing me a fun time..even driving! :) thanks man!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

meca_357

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 06:46:27 PM »

the cap is ridic.. saw ppl using roe (bait ban) ppl snagging just brutal.. its a good yet abused fishery...ppl need to think twice before throwing their hooks in the water

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 06:56:30 PM »

Bait ban eh? hmmm. I don't think so. I saw guys using almost NO wool today and still hooking fish---in the mouth and the side/tail/fin etc...

sad sad sad.

Actually I may just buy another 1 day license to try the Cap...
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 07:25:48 PM »

Wops nm my bad cap is under a bait ban :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 07:32:48 PM »

Bait ban in effect til Oct. 31 inclusive.

phatwop

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 05:21:42 AM »

people have gotta start reading regulations before heading out. people out there seem quite prepared otherwise.....2 rods, vests, waders, beverages, licences...they just need to check the rules and regulations on-line or in their guides before heading out. i told an older gent about the bait ban and he said he's been fishing this river since before i was born and there's no such thing. i couldn't find it in the fishing guide to show him, so i was at a loss. i told him it was definitely online so to check  it out there, but he's not into the "computer thing".

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 06:47:27 AM »

Fishin Magician.  Are you the same Fishin Magician that lives in Wenatchee? 

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 06:48:20 AM »

those snaggers drive me crazy... its brudal there gonna wipe out the fish

the cap was wiped out decades ago when they built the dam and destroyed the wild runs.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 09:08:31 AM »

I confronted 4 people with the "bait ban" info. They all just rolled their shoulders and stopped making eye contact. Didn't have my cell phone, or I would have placed the call right beside them.
You don't make friends with salad.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 10:31:25 AM »

Fishin Magician...NOPE..had lots of funny stories about this nickname I picked for myself....

1. I am not the guy from Horseshoe Bay about 20 some odd years ago.
2. Not the guy from Wenatchee.
3. Not the "flyfiishing magician" ---the other user on the forum.

As for who I am, I live in Vancouver and fish primarily saltwater. Used to guide professionally for 4 years in the Queen Charlottes at Langara Island, and six weeks in River's Inlet. I have been a lifelong fisher. I fish the local salt whenever I can locally, primarily in the spring and summer and fall months.  I will fish rivers locally, for "fun" maybe 1 or 2 time a year.

I also used to guide full time for a local charter operator who remains a friend, and I will work to casually help him out when he is short a guide or two, and saltwater fishing sure is FUN! :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 10:51:45 AM »

I am just wondering why is there even a bait ban on the cap when theres no wild fish?

The bait ban was implemented to protect the chinook run. Now that the chinooks have been opened for retention since June, the bait ban should be lifted in my opinion.