Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder oct 09  (Read 4110 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
vedder oct 09
« on: October 09, 2005, 03:28:12 PM »

Got up this morning called my fishing partner to confirm that we were still going his reply " I'm on my way up" We stopped of at Timmy's before making our way down towards the river,when we arrived at 5:30 there was all ready another guy and his bud gearing up at their car.After gearing up ourselfs we walked over to our spot on the river, the sun wasn't quite up yet but very close,about 10Min's later one of my bros calls and asked if i was on the river as i said yes, him and my other two bros pop out of the bush to join us so nows there's five of us in this little area,by now first light was happening as i started to cast with my freshly cured roe (not bad for a first time I've ever cured)
about the four cast my foam float goes under,played the fish for about 1min and then my leader snapped  :P .
Okay i say not a big deal so upping my leader from 8lbs to 10lbs i figure i had a better chance,next cast nothing and it was like that for about half an hour so one of my bros decided to walk over to another spot to try his luck and my partner also did the same,now's it's just me and my other two bros as we all did our next cast one of them says fish on as i seen his float go well under  i was on my retrieve my float also goes well under  :o now we've got a double header on, ;D at first i thought it was a HO as didn't do much and it was fairly easy to reel then all of a sudden it was stripping line out of my reel like if there's no tomorrow i felt the head shakes so knew it was a spring after about 15Min's of  playing this thing on a 10lbs leader/12lbsmain i finally land a nice chrome doe at this point my bro still has his fish on and just couldn't get his in about 10Min's more of just playing it out he finally lands another chrome doe but this one was closer to the 30lbs mark as mine was about 20lbs. ;D
The next few hour's we hooked into three coho and lost all three coho :'( as that's what I've been waiting all season for but oh well we at least landed some big fish on light gear and that's worth it as i never thought i could do such a thing, all in all we had an alright day , got to de-virginize my new rod and reel ;D and played with some Ho's,and landed spring  :)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 03:34:24 PM by scruffy »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
Re: vedder oct 09
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 03:37:20 PM »

oh and i must not forget to thank FA and Rod for their insight on how to cure my roe  :)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 03:44:32 PM »

Hit the vedder in the AM.. tryed to get up for the first light cast didnt make it :P..  Had the pleasure of meeting Fishing Addict and Fishfreak.. great guys. kept one spring, released 1 and a jack. Still looking for the infamous coho... ;D

DaN
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 04:02:44 PM by DaN ThE MaN »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 03:47:05 PM »

Nice one Scruffy, Having multiple coho falling off your hook is always hard to swallow, even worse than getting skunked. ;D Today was my day off, crawled out of bed at 12:30pm. ;D :-[

Dan, did Fishing Addict and Fishfreak get anything? ;)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 04:00:43 PM »

Yep they managed to hook a few jacks and a couple springs.

DaN

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 04:13:30 PM »

Dan, did Fishing Addict and Fishfreak get anything? ;)

well if it's coho you're talking about.............nada  :'(  but caught almost everything else including a pound rock and a piece of tree stump (which gave a good fight)  ;D oh and a tree on the other side of the bank.

kept a chrome jack which had an orangey color meat and released a chum and a 30lb buck spring.  we have pics if FF posts them.

Dan also forgot to mention that his spring had its adipose clipped and also was one of them hybrid red/white spring.

All in all......great day at the river!!!  Water visibility was perfect and weather was excellent.  Have to try tomorrow morn again  :P

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 04:19:04 PM »

Dan........nice to see ya again.  also a great guy and alwayz a pleasure to fish with  8)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 05:27:28 PM »

Got to the river around 9:00am thinking that the bite will come on again around this time. Saw a guy hooked into a spring and a spring jack but nothing after that. I had to walk miles to connect with a small spring jack which I let go.

Nothing much happening today - lower river that is.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 05:41:04 PM »

hit the vedder by 10:00am. using just pink and white wool. looking for coho's and managed to get one wild one after quite the acrobatic display. quick release and i moved over to peach road. river is back again along the dyke and full of fisherman winching in white springs. spend a few hours losing my share of whites and then moved back to the highway bridge. no sign of coho's again. but a very warm and sunny day out on the flow. try again tuesday. time to think of turkey!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 07:51:37 PM »

oh and i must not forget to thank FA and Rod for their insight on how to cure my roe  :)

How nice of you to say that.  :) It's customary to give your first fish to someone that has helped you. So with this in mind give me your address and I'll be over to pick up the fish  ;D

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 10:26:41 AM »

sure at the same time bring the bird ;D

Henryk

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 12:53:51 PM »

Nice report and cong. on those springs and hos.if anybody wants to know 'the secret' spot, it happend under the railroad bridge.I was the guy who was gearing up in the van and later fished beside you on the rocks.There wasn't much action, so me and my buddy left, refuel at timmis and went to the upper river and we Had a blast there.No crowds  and lot of fish.We saw a bizarre thing.The guy was fishing from the shallow water, and the group of kickers was floating down the river, and they spooked whole bunch of springs that started to run down stream, right into that guy that was standing there, scaring hell out of him, and almost knocking him down

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 01:24:33 PM »

all together sounds like a nice day of fishin for everyone
crab cakes

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 02:14:29 PM »

nice of you to start reporting stinkytroutboy....
weeeeeeeeeow!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 02:53:21 PM »

i do alot of that lately . starting to fish alot more.. pulled a couple chum outa the riverthe morning
crab cakes