Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cap . Oct 15th blowout...  (Read 5344 times)

tsuribaka

• I'm a llama!
Cap . Oct 15th blowout...
« on: October 15, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »

Headed up to the top at first light.  Were lots of cars in the parking lot when I first arrived.  So I sat in my car a while and sipped on my coffee.  Then suddenly the lot started clearing out!  I thought, "whats going on here, why is everyone leaving?" 
So I wandered down to the river and seen why everyone was leaving.  The cap was totally blown out :o!  I have only been fishing there a few years, but it was by far the highest I have seen it. Were a few brave souls making some casts, but the water was way to high for much luck, not to mention if you slipped in on all the wet rocks, you would end up under the Lions gate before you know it~.
  They must have opened the dam as the recent rain should not make this creek look like the amazon.  Anyway, there were lots of fish in the ladder, and some nice big ones at that.  SO there are lots of fish in the system, just need the water to drop a few feet.

If anyone was out there later on in the day and the level dropped, please repost.  I left around 9 Am so I am not sure if it dropped.

Tight lines!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Cap . Oct 15th blowout...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 11:56:23 AM »

thanks for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!

bruce

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 12:12:45 PM »

where is the park lot ? is it in the hatchary ?

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 02:44:17 PM »

Isnt there only a small handful of summer steel? If so how many were in the ladder? Sure they were steel?

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 03:01:58 PM »

I dont doubt you i was just wondering. That would be sweet to see.

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 03:03:25 PM »

Yah birdman is right i've seen a few steals there to
crab cakes

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 05:47:43 PM »

Well i just got back from the cap. Spent over 5 hours driving and walking. River was flippin high. Never touched the water or put a line in. All in all a pretty good day.NOT!
weeeeeeeeeow!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 05:54:58 PM »

What is the best bait for chum
crab cakes

No_way

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 05:58:22 PM »

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 11:08:31 AM »

This morning (16th)  I went to the ladders to see what was in there.

Biggest spring was probably low twenties. Saw a few Coho's that were definitely HUGE! I saw probably 5 or so that were like TORPEDOES! One rivaled the size of the Springs. As a point of reference, one of the Cohoes I estimate at 17 or 18 lbs, and she was a sight to behold! I saw a few chromers that made the 8 and 9 lbers look like little fish! WOW!  :o I mean these were like NORTH COAST FISH! wowsers!  I saw a few others that were well into the teens...Yeah, there's a few steelies in there I saw 2 but they were lean. Lots of smaller springs in the ladders.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 07:45:02 PM by Rodney »
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 06:25:49 PM »

Yeah.. There was this one fish that even now, still sticks in my mind. I am going to say that fish may have been 19 to 20 lbs...it was just IMPRESSIVE, and I have seen a lot of Coho, and I would like to think that beauty may have been just THAT big. Wish I had snapped a pic of it, it was well over 3 feet long! :)

Hey C.F. most of the time you fish, do you fish below the Suspension Bridge on the curve there? I had a peek down there, and there is a nice stretch that looks VERY fishy.

PM me.

thanks,

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 06:59:53 PM »

CF is right about the Cap. It is one of the most dangerous river because it looked so innocent when there was no water, and people, particularly newbies, have not learned to respect it in raging floods.  It has claimed many lives in the past when people just got caught by rising water, or slipped off those slippery rocks in Cable Pool.  The last time I fished it in raging flood years ago, it was July 1st Canada Day and a newbie slipped off from Cable Pool and drowned. So be careful there.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 09:38:55 PM »

Is there any warning like a horn or something when they are going to open it or is it pretty much take notice and get moving to safer ground?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005, 10:33:03 PM »

CF, you are right about the time there.  It was over 10 years ago.  I took a newbie friend there at Cable Pool on Canada Day.  Took a look at the Pool and the flooding water level, and decided to fish some where else at lower river for safety.  There were many people on the Cable rocks and they were catching fish, but I told my friend that no fish was worth risking our lives and our families depending on us. One slip and you can be history. Too bad the premonition happened later in the day at Cable Pool.

The most dangerous time is during landing of a fish when excitment of the moment can keep people off guard about safety.  I talked to a fisher at the river a few days later about the tragic event.  He told me he was actually fishing beside the unfortunate guy, who was actually landing a fish, and the fish came off on the rock.  He slipped while trying to stop the the flipping fish.  He said he never forget how sad & shocked it was to see the last look of a panic man knowing it was his last moment.  This tragic incident hit home a caution I received from my fishing instructor when I took a river fishing course as a newbie way back.  He would not want to talk about the Cap while he talked about other local rivers.  When questioned why, he sadly said that his best fishing buddy drowned in the Cap.  The Cap looked so innocent in summer when water trickles, but watch out after days of heavy rain, like it is now....

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »

Don't know how many out there know Ted Peck but his son drown in the Capilano. It can be a dangerous river.