Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River Oct 23  (Read 4704 times)

phatwop

Capilano River Oct 23
« on: October 23, 2005, 07:21:58 PM »

Tons of people fishing today, 9 out of 10 fish that i saw being  hooked were snagged   :'( with most of them being large Springs. I still don't see how people expect to land fish when they are 20 feet above the river on a rock. Otherwise, it was a nice day with no rain and lots of fish.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 07:27:24 PM by phatwop »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Capilano River Oct 23
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 07:29:53 PM »

the beekos were at it again at cable eh >:(
weeeeeeeeeow!

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 08:53:11 PM »

yeah..lots springs around,couldn't locate any cohos today.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:48:17 PM »

Its pretty easy to land the fish as you just walk them around the rock to the bottom of the stairs.
Fish on!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 09:59:24 PM »

looks like that dude's rod snapped.  I'm sure it was sweet justice for the fish who was snagged. 

No_way

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 10:01:37 PM »

HOLY SMOKES!! Is that ever a nice setting to fish in!  Beautiful, but I wouldn't want to slip and fall.

phatwop

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 09:30:26 AM »

Its pretty easy to land the fish as you just walk them around the rock to the bottom of the stairs.

it wasn't that easy for some as people weren't moving aside, lines remained in the water and a guy who had a huge spring under the bridge could not drag his fish up over the rocks and eventually his line snapped.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 12:53:12 PM »

Looking at the pictures, I'm suprised that they haven't closed that area off to fishing.  The potential for something tragic to happen is very real (and has occured already in the past).  No fish is worth dying for and some of the people in the pictures are just one misstep away drowning.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 01:37:18 PM »

it wasn't that easy for some as people weren't moving aside, lines remained in the water and a guy who had a huge spring under the bridge could not drag his fish up over the rocks and eventually his line snapped.

Looks like a good time for someone to patent the "Cable Pool long handled telescopic landing net", for your upriver Capilano experience. 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »

Saw a girl fishing there before she actually had 1 of those cliff climb peg nailed into the side wall and had a safety line attached to her.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 03:39:40 PM »

You might laugh, but atleast she's safe :P

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 03:47:30 PM »

On the contrary, I think she's smart, and responsible. How many people actually go that length to protect themselves? Even wear a floatation vest of some sort?

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 04:58:07 PM »

Looks like a good time for someone to patent the "Cable Pool long handled telescopic landing net", for your upriver Capilano experience. 

Gold Hammer Croc,
Funny, I do have a telescopic Net that I can reach down from the top of the cliff. I have netted a bunch of fish with it too. Works great when the flow is low. I sure does save time hiking down the slippery cliff with a fish on.

Caution to all, when needed, I do use a floater jacket incase they decide to open up the dam. I have also seen people with ropes & harnesses on before too. I've never had anyone laugh at me, only complement of being smart. I also remind myself, this is NO GUARANTEE that you'll survive if you fall in. You can slip & hit your head on the way down. A couple of years ago, a kyaker drowned with a floater vest when he got wedged in a boulder. Even with a floater, I stay in the calm area.

Remember, every year, one or two unlucky soles drown. It's not worth the 3 lb fish! The river's gonna be unpredictably higher as we get more rain.

For people who still want to venture out, the most important thing is your footwear, Felt sole, deck shoes, Deck rubber boots (with really flat bottoms, not garden soles), even flat soles runners are OK.

Don't wear hiking boots with aggressive deep soles or the garden sole gum boots, these slip like hell!

Be careful guys. I fish this river a lot. And it is a dangerous river. You need to respect it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 05:01:46 PM by Obi Wan »
May the fish be with you!

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 05:04:13 PM »

dfo was present today

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 09:50:48 PM »

Excellent, and were they ticketing or was it more of a presence?