Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oct 24th - beauty day on thew vedder.  (Read 4528 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Oct 24th - beauty day on thew vedder.
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:44:37 PM »

I made friends with this australian guy who is as much as a fishing nut as I.  We decided to take a day off and hit the vedder.  Bug Pumper had been out yesterday and hit springs and chums so I suggested that we would probably end up hooking a lot of springs and chums and a coho or two if we were lucky.  We weren't...well sort of.

We fished the upper river (on the way to ranger).  I thought for sure I would be able to get my auzie pal into a couple of big brutes and let him have a real battle on my 11.5 medium heavy lamiglas.  Fished all the regular holes with really nice roe and didnt pick up a single spring - despite seeing lots splashing around!  We were getting pretty disgruntled, not even allison pools could produce a single spring...it was loaded last week, I think the fish were just off today. 

Funny thing was that after moving around and working the river we eventually we did find some fish to take...six coho to be exact!  All were hooked on blades.  While I couldnt find a spring for the life of me, we had a pretty good run with these fish which were all in the 7-10lb range.  ended up long line releasing 2, let 1 go and keeping 3 - not a bad day considering we couldnt even hook a spring up til then!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Oct 24th - beauty day on thew vedder.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 04:02:21 PM »

i was at the vedder yesterday, fishing roe as well. me and my dad hoked 2 jacks about 6 puond and 4 puonds and i lost a coho. tons of chum every were.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 04:16:17 PM »

Hey gooey,what a lucky guy,at least you get to go fishing while the rest of us are stuck at work.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 04:17:44 PM »

I skunked yesterday at Vedder.  :'(

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 04:59:01 PM »

My anniversary at work is nov 26 and I still have 9 holidays and 3 "sick" days to use before that date so I will be fishing lots in the next 4 weeks   ;D

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 06:54:42 PM »

Headed out to the river at first light with BlaydRnr and had a good portion of the river to ourselves.  I guess school's back  :P :D  It was quite slow where we first started fishing, only hooking into 1 chum and 1 spring (both released).  We decided to move upper a bit and tried a few casts.  Every 15 - 20 mins (no takers), we'd move up a little more each time.  Found a nice channel where i thought some Ho's might pass through so i try it out.  At about the fifth cast, my float goes down, hook is set.....and i clearly see it's my first Ho of the season  :o  It swims down the river, then decides to go back up, then down, and up again......but not once it did any acrobatic movements.  Finally it's ready to come in and i get it close enough to see that..................................it's WILD  :-\  A beauty 7lb doe.  Oh well........i can actually say i caught a coho now  ;D  That was it for that spot, so we check out Allison, Ranger Run, and Limit Hole.  We didn't actually fish there, but just wanted to see how the river flow was and how the other fishermen did.  Flow was excellent and clarity was great, but didn't want to fish the crowd.  We decided to go back lower river and try another spot.  All i kept hooking into were chums, but BlaydRnr was a little ways from me and he came back with a nice little hatch coho of about 4 lbs.  All in all......it was a great day at the river up until i broke my Fenwick rod  :'(  I guess i have a reason to buy another rod  ;D

Here's a pic of BlaydRnr's Ho:

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 09:09:07 PM »

awsome looking fish.

DaN

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 10:35:48 PM »

Nice chromer... ;)

James

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 12:49:33 AM »

nice fish ,  good think you guys got some fishing in while the water is right . With the rain forecasted for the next 3 days , I think it will be fairly muddy again . Just my luck too as the rainy days are my days off !

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 01:54:57 PM »

With the way this season is shaping up, their two fish and my five fish that day could be ALL the fish in the river right now  :-[

I was happy to get the fish I did, but those results would have been marginal at best last year... were as they are great for this year.

spoke with an old timer at on the way...as guy I alway see there.  He fishes twice a day and has 2 hatchery coho so far this year.  It is what he calls his worst season ever.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 01:58:17 PM »

i dont feel so bad after hearing that ....ive been out chucking spoons for the past two weeks on the vedder and have come up empty other than a big old stanky boot.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 06:51:45 PM »

hardware is a great bet for coho...may I suggest that if you are chuckin spoons, also take along some colarado blades.  Our success yesterday was all on blades. 

I had maybe a 3 foot 12lb leader, 2 inches of pencil lead, and a float.  Not only did we drift the blades but we also cast into back eddies and retrieved them (basically spin casting them).  Had more luck on the retrieve than on the drift.

I have probably said enuff  ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 07:35:24 PM »

nice fish
weeeeeeeeeow!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 10:08:18 PM »

Hey Gooey pal,  when talking fish you only count the ones you landed!!  Saying that you got 5 is cheating.  Otherwise I could say that I got 5 springs and 8 chum on Sunday.   ;)
Fish on!

mark

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 07:00:41 PM »

Very true Bug Pumper. ;)