Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River Oct 24  (Read 4233 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Stave River Oct 24
« on: October 24, 2005, 09:23:22 PM »

On fire for Chums caught and released 100 Chums today . Started fishing at 9 am first cast fish on caught & released fresh Chum. I went 30 casts in a row catch and release . It was fish after fish all day , fun time fighting them Chumies . Around 4 I finally hooked a Coho about 12 lbs a wild though  :(. It was low tide this morning and I cleaned house I walked a good section of the river and there were lures  every where on logs that were normally under water at high tide . One thing that I found was 50% of the lures still had barbs not crimped down some people need to learn the regs. One guy had a Chum hooked in the tail and was about to bonk it   ;D and he better not be bonking any foul hooked fish so he put it back he then quickly gathered up his gear and took off. Which was good all day he was foul hooking fish bottom bouncing the Stave is not nessesary the Chums smash spoons , wool , colorado's , roe etc. All my fish were hooked on a Croc green stripe 70 % in the mouth 1/2 ounce used the same spoon all day not one snag the hook was straightend out a few times one lucky spoon .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:11:03 AM by legend »

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River Oct 24
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:01:37 PM »

Seems like green is the money colour for the Chums.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:27:01 PM »

Normally I run a Fire strip gold but I found a green silver and it was on fire all day. There are so many Chum you can't get to the Ho's once the Chum thin out it will be Ho time.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 10:28:34 PM by legend »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 10:44:26 PM »

even 30lb leader won't prevent these chum from breaking off. plus the teeth on some of these males are down right nasty. hooked 15 in 3 hours and that was it for me. too much wear and tear on my abu garcia levelwind.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 10:49:55 PM »

Hey, there is NO fishing in the spawning channel correct? I always see kids fish there!

Sinaran

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 12:48:51 AM »

hey legend i was there too today, which side were u fishing at?  i was at that spot called toilet bowl maybe, which is about 100 meters down from the dam and a small pool of backwater on the left.  couldn't believe some people just dumped their foul-hooked old chums on the shore instead of releasing them, the rotting fishes sure releasing very unpleasant smell when i first got there in the afternoon.  tried my new gear today, a new shimano 8' medium heavy action rod and a quantum snapshot medium action reel. the rod was all right, but the reel just screwed up after a few fight with the fiery fight with the chumies.  i then replaced it with my another new reel the abu garcia baitcaster 6000c.  plus i lost another 7 spoons today (although heavier line and bigger reel were used today), expensive..................    foul-hooked 9 doggies, finally hooked one right in the mouth on my last casts, it was a clean looking doe at about 16lbs.  was gonna try to catch another one but it was getting dark.  expensive fish....
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 01:05:37 AM »

I've learned (the hard way) when generator isn't running at high output (meaning lots of water flow) at certain spots where large under water rocks are, your lure will snag between those rocks. After a few or good number of snags I think I know a 10 meter stretch pretty well now I know where to cast to avoid snagging on the bottom.

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 06:09:56 AM »

Hey legend I didn't realize that was you I met yesterday at the stave.  I was the one with the young (not shy at all) kid. Couldn't keep them off the pink wool.
It was nice to meet you and I am sure I will see you down there again.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 06:12:16 AM by funfisher »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 06:44:48 AM »

v
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:16:08 AM by dennisK »

FISHYtheGREAT

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 07:34:02 AM »

Good lord Dennisk......Good job legend.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 08:00:32 AM »

Good lord Dennisk......Good job legend.

LOL - you obvously do not have a brother who is a lawyer. Sorry to burst your reality bubble Fishy, but the fact is you can't just pretend to be law enforcement of any kind when it suits you regardless of intent.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 08:02:04 AM »

Hey, there is NO fishing in the spawning channel correct? I always see kids fish there!

I guess people like to ignore me....

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 08:13:59 AM »

v
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:15:44 AM by dennisK »

fullahead

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 09:39:03 AM »

I haven’t fished the Stave River before. Are you guy fishing below the dam? How far is it from the dam to the Fraser? Thought I might stop on the way to the Chehalis next week. Any information would be appreciated, thanks. ::)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 10:16:47 AM »

DennisK, I think the only set of circumstances where somebody would get into trouble impersonating a fisheries officer is if the other person was a cop or an officer themselves.  I think youre kind of impersonating a paranoid person here ;)

100 chums?  yikes!  Must...find....coho....!