Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River October 25th: Frusterated fisher  (Read 5504 times)

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
Chilliwack River October 25th: Frusterated fisher
« on: October 25, 2005, 08:19:31 PM »

I was at the vedder again, 2 days in a row now, Ive found my glory fishing hole,  hooked about 40 cohos in the last 2 days, problem is way to hard to land them by yourself, i only landed 1 in two days, any one interested in a good hole? i need a landing partner. The hole is only producing large numbers of fish from about 2:00 till dark.
So i think IL sleep in tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 09:03:33 PM by Rodney »
My hands smell like fish again.............

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
Re: frusterated fisher
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 08:23:10 PM »

Golfnut, don't penalize yourself!! Word travels FAST. Keep your honey hole all to yourself of it wont be a secret for long :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 08:41:03 PM »

??? ???

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:41:11 PM »

Day started well with a nice chum on roe second cast.  I thought to myself that it was going to be a banner day since this doesn't happen to often to me.  Sight-casted to a decent spring that i saw from shore and it took it third cast.  I was wondering how i didn't spook it as I had walked past it earlier but then I noticed it had a foggy eye on the side closest to me so it didn't even know I was there.  I lost it eventually but I was pleased overall that it took the offering.  That was it for the fun on the middle river.

Went up to the hatchery as I figured some coho would be around there near the limit hole.  I don't fish at all around here and I don't think I'll go back, just didn't like what I was seeing - close quarters, but a fair number of fish around.  Ending up busting off a complete rig and while setting up, my spare leader spool of maxima rolled out of my vest and made its way downstream  >:(.  So, out of leader and out of luck, I went back down to Lickman and figured I'd just go find chum.  Lots of chum there, but again not interested in me anymore.  Guys hooking up on either side, but ignoring me.  Tried all sorts of combinations of lures, wool, roe - deep, shallow - nothing.  Gave up at 5 and headed back to the car for the drive to Burnaby.  Glad the Canucks won. 

Water is a great colour, still fairly high and strong.  No rain when I left but i'm sure its on its way.

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 08:41:46 PM »

yes 40, and ya i guess your right ill just have to wait untill the week end to bring some buddys.
My hands smell like fish again.............

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 08:52:26 PM »

Right 40 ??? ??? ???  Do you know the difference between A coho and a Chum ::) ::)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: First Vedder COHO of the year
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:22:27 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8565.0
Nice cabinets, is that a coffee machine I see in the background? ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 09:25:52 PM by Trout Slayer »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River October 25th: Frusterated fisher
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 09:30:52 PM »

Nice to actually see a coho that was caught!!!!!!  Good job fishfreak!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 09:37:31 PM »

Around 7:30am, at the end of my third drift, the float was completely buried and I spotted at the corner of my sleepy eyes. I casually set the hook, the fish went for some splashes and healthy kicks. I was excited, with no one at all around me except a thick layer of fog, I thought this was going to be THE day. Was I ever wrong. ::)

The fish slid into the shallows and I quickly realized that it was a chinook jack. I quickly unhooked it and let it swim back into the run.

The next 7.5 hours, I fished mid river, upper river, lower river. Not a single float dip. ::)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 09:42:14 PM »

Sorry to hear that Rodney. ???  I am still hoping that the river will pick up, but I think that I may be finished on the vedder for this year, or at least until steelhead arrive!!!!! ;) ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 09:44:36 PM »

What's the matter with you, by some reports there is lots of coho around. ;D

Looks like I will have to do some guiding for you like I did a few years ago to show you how it is done. ;D ;D

Although thinking about it you have done better this year than I have so you better do the guiding. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 09:48:30 PM »

:-[

I am still hopeful. There will be more fish on the Vedder this season. :)

Last Cast

• Live to Fish ~ Fish to Live
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 10:02:25 PM »

Around 7:30am, at the end of my third drift, the float was completely buried and I spotted at the corner of my sleepy eyes.

Hey, Rodney, I too spotted (something) at the corner of my sleepy eyes!  It was your car passing by mid-day today when I was coming out of a trail  ;) !  Like you, I caught one Spring and that's all she wrote for me today ... 8:30 'til 5:30.  Sure was a perfect day, though, weather-wise, eh?  I'm still batting a big fat zero on Cohos this Fall  ??? .  I won't give up easily though as I've not been skunked in 18 years!  Gotta keep trying.  Only problem is, work gets in the way  :-\ .  I did see several Cohos cruising by me, though.  They all seemed to be on the move ... higher/faster water doing that?  One big Coho was just a foot from shore and gave me a flash of his side on his way by me just to tease  :o .  I tried everything ...  roe, roe bags, blades, and wool.  Caught the Spring on a small silver blade  ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 10:03:05 PM »

I always tell Goeey- if you don't have pictures, it didn't happen.
Fish on!

buck

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 07:02:52 PM »

Coho numbers to date at the hatchery 4k. Last year same time frame 10k. Lots of coho being taken by the snaggers below limits hole. 40 coho ? Makes me wonder how they were hooked.