Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: November 4rth - another day up the valley  (Read 3234 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
November 4rth - another day up the valley
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:08:50 PM »

Had some vacations days to burn so I decided to take my dad out fishing.  Got to our parking spot just at first light and one car was there with a guy suiting up.  On a side note I tell ya, I love my breathables.  I put them on at home before the road trip, get to the river grab my rob and vest and I'm fishing.

Anyhow I new today it would be important to be first to the area I intended to fish.  Anticipating high water I knew a lot of the river we were on would be out of shape.  Its these days I find the side channels and pooled up water very productive.  Indeed the water was high but dropping (i think) and it had 3-4 feet of vis...it was perfect!

We were first to arrive at "my" hole and on my 3rd cast I had a nice scrappy 4-5 lb coho on.  It was a hatch so it was great to get the first fish of the day out of the way quite quickly.  Within another 10 minutes I had another beauty.  The one was about an 8lb hatchery doe.  she too was beached and added to the mornings haul.  Its was definitely starting to feel like one of those days last year were my dad and I would have 8 coho on the beach in an hour or so - only thing was that dad was yet to hook one.

Things then slowed and after about 15 minutes I hit my 3rd fish of the day.  I was quite sure I saw an adipose and thus played it a little heavy as it had got out of my pool and into the faster tail out.  That one was long line relased and was the last fish of the day :(

All my hits came on a colorado blades casted (no float) with 2 inches of pencil lead.  My dad had tried blades, jigs, and spinners; I thru roe as well but no more fish were to be found.  I am quite sure these fish were moving as lots of great water we found today held maybe one fish at best and after first light bite they really seemed to dig in.

When my wife returns my USB cable I'll post the pics for ya'll.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: November 4rth - another day up the valley
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:14:15 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »

congrats on the hatches gooey!
weeeeeeeeeow!

fisher88

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:28:09 PM »

good job.. i can taste them from here.
If you aint dutch you aint much!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »

i think that maybe the coho are starting to show up on decent numbers now... thanks for the report  ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 04:48:35 PM »

Unfortunately, I have to disagree w you CK...like my post said, last year this time we had a number (4 or 5) EIGHT (!!!) fish days.  I havent got more than four hits in one trip and the best # in the bag is 3 between 2 fishers...not great results in my books.

I spoke with a native fisher  and he said they are getting 4 coho a set (gill net)  in the harrison...there just seems to be very few fish around. 

Only up side I see right now is that the ones I have hooked are chrome...very fresh fish, so I can only hope there are more to come.  Its odd tho, I usaully get a couple of nice chum a season and now they are all boots, seems like the chum have kept on schedule regardless of the coho's apparent late arrival.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 05:05:24 PM »

Good job on the Ho's Gooey!!!!!  I haven't hit a coho on blades all year!!!!  But I am still going to use them a lot.  All the Ho's I have hit this year has been on Roe and scented wool!!!! ;) ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 05:11:28 PM »

;D great job gooey  ;D but poor dad :'( :'( oh well its nice just to be out on the river with your dad ;D next time he will be the lucky one 8)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 05:19:23 PM »

the thing that kills me is that my local tackle shop was out of my favourite colour blades but my dad said he had a bunch in the size and colour I needed. So last night I picked up some of his spares and made a few swivel spinnners.  He knew that colour was a productive one, he even had some tied up!!!!! but he never used them! ::)

What can I say, he taught me to fish at one point...I guess I was a better student then, than he is now!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 05:41:55 PM »

Hey gooey,thanks for the nice report,looking forward for the pictures.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 05:49:36 PM »

Hehe ....just when you think you've learned everything you need to know from your dad he'll hit you with one like "its not important to catch fish, its more important to spend some time with your son "  :)   and we all know how true that is!  Maybe not with you tho Gooey!  ;)  jk

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 06:45:16 PM »

congrats on the fish, Breathables kick my friend( i just purchased a pair myself), id never were neapreams again unless i was going into the chehalis canyon.
My hands smell like fish again.............

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 09:52:52 PM »

Here's the pic...unfortunately the fish had been in the bag for a couple hours before the pics so the big one wouldnt lay flat...pretty fish all the same!

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/album47/Nov4coho

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 09:55:40 PM »

Nice chromer buddy ;)

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 09:57:09 PM »

beauty =)