Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis Nov. 7th - Plenty of Chromers!  (Read 5693 times)

CohoOn!

Chehalis Nov. 7th - Plenty of Chromers!
« on: November 07, 2005, 08:28:12 PM »

Just  back from "my local river" that would be the Chehalis for people who appreciate useful reports ;) and have to let you know there's plenty of fresh hos still to be had but you gotta hike for them if you're not going to be there at first light when they're on the move.
Stopped by Inch Creek along the way and cohos there are getting colored up and pretty scarce. Decided to just head on to my fav the Chehalis instead and do some exploring. Spoke to one guy coming out of the the canyon that got a couple but the weather looked cold and rainy up there and decided to head for the sunshine down lower instead. Started bushwhacking about 1:30 and after almost an hour of not finding a fishable piece of water with hos was about to head back and then I stumbled (almost literally) across the El Dorado!! Couldn't believe my eyes!! A whole pool of about 20-30 chrome coho  :owith only a few chums mixed in. Getting across to the other side where there was a small opening in the trees where you could just barely fish required a high wire act across a fallen tree bridging the stream. Was a tight spot and had to clear some branches but second or third drift with roe and the first silver coho hit and went wild and lost it. Then another and lost it. ::) Realized the tight conditions meant a change of tactics and the next two I landed quickly and were beauty chromer hatchery. ;D Lost another after that and things slowed as I think they got wise.  Decided to head back as it was starting to get dark and I really didn't know how far I had gone so didn't want to be crossing some of the streams and not being able to see the shallow places for crossing or the setting sun for my bearings. Didn't hit a single chum and all the cohos willing taken the roe. Next time I'll bring my lighter action shorter rod and just use a single split shot and smaller float to try and minimize the visual clues for them. Was using 8lb leader about 26 inches.
So go get 'em guys they are definitely still out there in numbers if you want to go find them.
Tight lines!
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
Re: Chehalis Nov. 7th - Plenty of Chromers!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 08:44:27 PM »

Good report, thanks for that. Sounds like you had to work for those ho's :D I might find myself hiking through the bush tommorrow.
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »

Sounds like a nice trip.... ware abouts was this... ::)
crab cakes

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 09:00:02 PM »

Well He said that he was on the Chehalis, the lower portion.  You don't really think that he is going to give you a map do you. ;D ;D  I pretty much know where he was because I have been down river there.  Besides, I find it more fun if I have to work for the fish!!!!!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

DAWGMAN

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 09:07:33 PM »

sounds like a fun time. how were the water conditions. ;D

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 10:28:28 PM »

Good read, sounds like a day to remember.  Those are the kind of days that make the thousands spent on tackle over the years all worth while.

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 10:38:06 PM »

good report :) think i might hit up that river soon.
My hands smell like fish again.............

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 11:10:55 PM »

Well the alarm went off at 4:30 in the morning and out I went with roeman to the chehalis. Got to the river  around 6am Fished upper portion first light and on the 2nd cast my float burries and fish on. A couple jumps later my chrome 5-7 pound coho was gone >:(. Things then slowed down and i landed a few chum. At around 7:30 we decided to go exploring and hiked in the bushes for nearly 30 mins then decided to go back and check out easter seal. Well the rippers were at it there snagging chum so i got out of there. Then went back up and ended up hooking into a monstor spring on roe sacks. Easily 30-40 pounds. The fish was controlling me swimming up and down. After a 10 or so minute battle the semi-fresh spring broke off near shore. Hooked a couple more springs and chums then around 1 I let the roeman borrow my pin because he got a big nest and had to stop fishing ;D Anyway i tied him on a fist size clump of goo as a joke and sure enough float dips and ends up landing a beauti 4 pound hatch coho.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 11:19:30 PM »

Well that kind of backfired on you now didn't it!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 11:19:44 PM »

hiking into those bushes can definitely be worth it ;)
Unless you stumble across a bear.  ;)
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »

With so much people traffic around, that would be rare!!!!!  Could happen, but just make a lot of noise as you are walking, that does help!!!! ;D ;D  Myself, I like to sing really loudly!!! ;D ;D

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 11:41:12 PM »

every one is getting up so early to fish i know its the best time, but dam 4:30 thats craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy  :o
My hands smell like fish again.............

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 12:10:16 AM »

With so much people traffic around, that would be rare!!!!!  Could happen, but just make a lot of noise as you are walking, that does help!!!! ;D ;D  Myself, I like to sing really loudly!!! ;D ;D
Unless the bears like your singing. :P
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 07:51:16 AM »

lol yes i know it kinda backfired......I wont let it happen next time ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

BCSteelheader

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 09:01:31 AM »

:o 
With so much people traffic around, that would be rare!!!!! Could happen, but just make a lot of noise as you are walking, that does help!!!! ;D ;D Myself, I like to sing really loudly!!! ;D ;D
.  This is the lower chehalis were talkin about right!!!  you're only foolin yourself if you think there isn't bears all over down there.

Out of 6 trips down on the lower recently, every trip has yeilded fresh (within 12 hours) signs of bears.  including an early morning jaunt by myself trying to beat the weekenders into the spot.  bear had other ideas and sent me high tailin outta there.  although it was first light I had come within 30 feet of this bear.  and trust me I was making lots of noise. especiall since the trail to the spot is not well established and I had no light. ::)  let's just say there was a fair bit of bush swackin goin on!! :-\

"Catch & Release" by SG