Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luckiest little Coho on the Cap - Nov 8th  (Read 3158 times)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Luckiest little Coho on the Cap - Nov 8th
« on: November 08, 2005, 06:20:38 PM »

Figured I would stay close to home again today, didn't feel like getting up too early as I do that for work anyway.  Arrived around 7 am to find no one in the usual parking place which is sometimes a good sign or a bad sign.  I figure that the major push of fish is over, but there will be the odd school coming through.  Two people at the Doctors pool and looked pretty dead overall so I continued down to the Highway Bridge pool.  Water was a lot lower than of late and the clarity is much better.  Started the morning by a home made brass colorado blade set-up and hooked into a coho but after a headshake or two it went back to its resting spot. 

Switched to a silver blade and no further luck.  Switched rods to the roe presentation and patiently cast out in the constant light rain.  Still no company which has been rare all season, but once you are deep in concentration, you could be anywhere in the province.  Float was drifting nicely all day and I had seen only two fish rise in the pool, one probably the one I hooked earlier  ;)  Anyway, patiently waiting for that telltale tap when I felt a solid tug and I instinctively set the hook.  COHO ON...fish rolled and splashed about the surface and the hook stayed tight.  After a few determine tugs, it came to the bank and I gently beached it and slowly bent down to claim my silver prize.  But as I did so, the line went slightly slack and the small 2 lbs male sensed this, basically gave me the finger (in that fish way), flipped the hook and was gone.  I was envisioning him with bacon, eggs and stuffed with garlic for this morning's meal but I guess he had other plans.  Hope he gets to do his thing into a heath tray.

Took a few more casts and another solid thud on the end.  Another good hookset and a much larger fish was on.  Good rolls happening and certainly a very white belly and some flashing.  Seemed like a good day so far  ;D.  Fish took some line and gave a spirited battle with no jumps.  Saw the tell tale signs of bars when it came closer and it was a very nice silvery male chum.   If I was on the Squamish it would have been prepped for the smoker, but the hook came out easily and it joined the coho that got away.  That was it for my day and I returned home at 11 am.  Hands just too cold.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Luckiest little Coho on the Cap - Nov 8th
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 06:51:02 PM »

nice report  ;D at least your not the only one that loses coho at the beach like that. I am the champ for that  ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:19:55 PM »

Nice report
weeeeeeeeeow!

HereFishyFishy

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:41:19 PM »

If I was on the Squamish it would have been prepped for the smoker, but the hook came out easily and it joined the coho that got away.

Are you not allowed to retain Chum on the cap?
there are actual fish involved in fishing right?

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 08:49:37 PM »

If I was on the Squamish it would have been prepped for the smoker, but the hook came out easily and it joined the coho that got away.

Are you not allowed to retain Chum on the cap?

You are NOT to retain chums.

phatwop

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 02:50:53 AM »

sounds like a nice little day.  :)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 07:46:50 PM »

nice report

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 08:21:31 PM »

Cheers Scruffy.. Haven't seen you out lately, where have you been?