Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: November 9th - a couple of old dogs (and a coho)  (Read 4505 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
November 9th - a couple of old dogs (and a coho)
« on: November 09, 2005, 12:36:15 PM »

Met up with a FWR member today, kind of a neat story there.  About 8 weeks back, Go Fish posted a report from the vedder with a real nice coho (12-14 lbs as I recall). 

When I read the report I couldn't believe my eyes...Go Fish and I fought forest fires together our first year in the business back in 90-91!  We spent the summer 100 yards away from the scale bar at Haig Camp (Hope's Initial Fire Attack Base).  Man we both kicked ourselves when we realized we spent a whole summer inches away from the scale bar and we were none the wiser!  Instead we fished the Silver Hope (I think that’s the name) and fooled around on the Fraser (go fish will know what that means  ;D )

Any how, after that first season with a contract crew, the ministry did away with all the contracting companies and that was the last I saw of him...until 13 years later on Fishing With Rod!!!!  Someone pass me a hanky ;)   

Anyhow, after a pm or two, we decided to connect on the river for a little fishing.

Unfortunately the action wasn’t great today.  The water was up from where I thought it would be and some of the pools I showed Go Fish weren’t as fishable as they usually are.  In the last pool we hit we found a lot of chums kicking around.  GF hit 2 chum floating roe and I got one on a hand tied jig.  The one I caught was actually really clean, from 50 feet down river GF asked if it was a chum or not so it really was in great shape - still very bright.  As the target was Coho, I slid it back into the water, hopefully to spawn.  After working the head of the pool, I decided to go down a join GF in the tail out.  He was float fishing so I thought I would grab my gear rod and huck some hardware.  Anyone guess what I snapped on...a #5 brass blue fox. 

GF and I watched the blade slowly chopping thru the water thinking that the whopping of that blade would surely stir a strike if there were any fish there.  Sure enuff, 10 cast late WHAM...fish on.   This was another one of those fish that I watched come out of no where and slam my blade - just like the last one, it was just as the blade traveled over a ridge with a 3-4 foot trough below it.  GF saw the strike too; it’s great to know you have fooled a fish into a hit!  After a couple of minutes, yet another hatch Coho met its fate at the hands of my 9 foot lamiglas.

Nice seeing ya GF after all these years, hopefully we'll see ya again soon.  GF and I certainly have a few more gray hairs than we did back in 91 so I think the reference to a "couple of old dogs" in the title is more for the 2 of us!

Gooey

When I get home from work, I'll post the pic for ya'll.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 02:11:40 PM by Gooey »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: November 8th - a couple of old dogs (and a coho)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 12:54:55 PM »

Good report Gooey, looking forward to seeing the pics.
Actions speak louder than words.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: November 9th - a couple of old dogs (and a coho)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:24:37 PM »

Right on Goey :D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 03:27:16 PM »

Tried to get fancy with my photo today...I hung the fish off a stick on the face of a mossy cliff...angle wasnt great and the belly was a little flat afte yielding 2 plump skiens, but otherwise a nice shot:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/album47/Nov9thCoho

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 03:38:24 PM »

Nice fish Gooey

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 03:47:29 PM »

niiiiiiccceeee fishhhh

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »

What a beauty. Power of internet eh. Missing colleagues, friends....

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 04:36:47 PM »

Nice fish and picture

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 06:51:22 PM »

nice picture gooey, i was at the vedder today to, the fishing action wasnt great but it was good, i saw alot more coho today then ive seen in the past 2 weeks, and happy to say that they were are silver no dark ones. Unfortunatlly i didnt hook any of them, i did hook a huge spring however and to my surprise it was very clean, landed it but thought twice about hauling a 30-35 pound spring back to the truck which was a 12 minute walk away crossing over 2 parts of the river. A good sighn though to see more clean coho.
My hands smell like fish again.............

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 06:58:14 PM »

nice Ho Gooey!  can't wait till i try to catch my second one this weekend  :)

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 07:14:40 PM »

where you fising on the chahalis ???

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 08:49:02 PM »

Sorry CohoSlayer, I try and make my reports an enjoyable read and useful by detailing my tactics for the river conditions and target species but I am tight lipped on location. 

My last trip with my dad and then GF's and my trip today, both times, we didnt see another fisher all day and we all want to keep it that way ;)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 09:34:49 PM »

what type of reel is that?

Nice fish BTW

gofish

• doh!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 11:03:17 PM »

You know Gooey, I could of swore I saw you sticking a piece of Turkey Bacon on that Blue Fox just before you pulled that fish out from right in front of me!  ;) Thanks for the day, good to catch up again. I fished up at the head of the pool for another half hour after you took off ( yes, I may have switched to a Vibrax the minute you left  :-\ ) Two more chum does fell prey to the big flash lure, but the coho stayed out of sight after they watched their brother get fooled by the GooeyMaster and get bonked!    Awesome day not to be beeked out by the crowds- now its my turn to show you a sturgeon or 10 when we get back from the Thompson! Thanks again
get off the couch

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 07:09:37 AM »

Your on, bud, love to try for some sturgeon!  Good luck on the Thompson, hopefully we'll both have a few good fish stories by the time you are back!