Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which political party do you believe would be better for fishery as a whole?

Liberal
- 9 (16.7%)
Conservatives
- 21 (38.9%)
NDP
- 8 (14.8%)
other
- 16 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Which party is better for fishery?  (Read 26029 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Which party is better for fishery?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2005, 04:35:51 PM »

One allows harvest, protection and rebuild all together. The other is protect keep the nature let it do its on things no intervention (basically keep it wild no activity allowed).

No_way

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 04:50:18 PM »

Oh, they aren't against the harvesting of natural resources.  Just that it be done in a sustainable way with a minimum of negative impact.  They may be a little naive, but they're not the political wackos they are seen as.

eg.:  fishing is good but overfishing is bad. 

Fishing with nets is good but fishing with 10 km nonselective nets is bad. 

Dragging heavy commercial tackle along the bottom is bad.  And so on.

timbo

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 04:59:24 PM »

Here is my 2 cents.

I really do believe that it is a very sad state of affairs in this country and I honestly believe that it really makes no difference for whom you vote for because it will not make any difference either way. It kills me to say that... but before you all jump on the patriotic bandwagon let me explain.
The 2 parties that have any chance at winning are both corrupt and have other things that they care about other then the fisheries in this country. I don't trust either one of them. The other problem is that there is a high probability of another minority government as there is no one running that is capable of bringing this country together. In the east they will vote libs, Quebec will vote bloc and the west will vote conservative. This leaves one big mess in parliment and an ineffectual governement that is more worried about saving their own asses than our salmon.

Just my thoughts

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2005, 05:13:30 PM »

You do have a point.

No_way

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 05:25:29 PM »

You do have a point.

No, he has THE point  ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 05:38:53 PM »

If anybody cares for a little education on the green party you can read their policies at www.greenparty.ca.

Their stance on fisheries: (the broad, web friendly version ;) )......
#1 Use a community-based approach to establish fishing quotas that support a sustainable fishery.
#2 Increase funding to ensure that shoreline communities stop dumping untreated waste into the ocean.
#3 Claim sovereignty over the whole area covering the Grand Banks and Flemish Cap to protect Canada's fish stocks.
Not a bad start...at least its based around sustaining fish stocks first (which ultimately sustains fishing communities). 

I think though that the greens will always run into the "theyre not going to stand a chance in this next election, so I should tip the vote in favor of the (insert favorite party) since they are the next best alternative"....also, they have a few fairly radical ideas that will be sure to prevent alot of people from considering them seriously.

I think too its tough naming a party after a wimpy color like green ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2005, 05:49:46 PM »

Ya and usually Green get related to environmentalist. Whom are against corporate (most of the time). Inturn unfavourable investment environment, which leads to cut backs, lay offs.....

They should change their name. Don't shoot me, it's just what I think.  :D

No_way

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2005, 05:59:39 PM »

Ya and usually Green get related to environmentalist. Whom are against corporate (most of the time). Inturn unfavourable investment environment, which leads to cut backs, lay offs.....

They should change their name. Don't shoot me, it's just what I think.  :D

The green party argues that in the long term their policies are better for the economy.  If there are no trees there is not logging.  If there are no fish or no clean water there can be no fisheries.  That much is true.  But I looked at their web site just now and they don't have their election platform posted yet.  I don't know about he other parties.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2005, 06:27:15 PM »

Sticking to the question (Which party is better for fishery?), the answer is really quite obvious. The Liberal Party has demonstrated that it is not for the fishery in any way,shape or form. Therefore, the Conservative deserves an opportunity to put their party on the line for fisheries.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2005, 06:40:29 PM »

Last election each party was given a grade based on their fishery policies. I forget who did the report but the grades went as follows:

Green: A
NDP: A-
Liberals: D
Conservatives: F
Actions speak louder than words.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 07:04:47 PM »

Sticking to the question (Which party is better for fishery?), the answer is really quite obvious. The Liberal Party has demonstrated that it is not for the fishery in any way,shape or form. Therefore, the Conservative deserves an opportunity to put their party on the line for fisheries.

It would appear from previous Conservative governments (and that is how you are judging the Liberals - a previous Liberal government) that their record on fish isn't exactly something on which I'd want to stake my fishing future.

http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/getinvolved/item.shtml?x=684
In 1988, Brian Mulroney's government passed legislation setting up off-shore petroleum agencies for off-shore Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.  The Canada-Nova Scotia Off-shore Petroleum Board was given explicit authority to over-ride other acts.  This has meant that permits for oil and gas exploration, and seismic testing, has taken place over the objection of DFO scientists.  The two regulatory boards are loathed by the region's fishermen. They are not regulators as much as they are promoters.  The all-party report of the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans (fall, 2001) urged that the obvious conflict between the Oceans Act and the Fisheries Act and the off-shore boards be resolved by placing the DFO and Oceans Act authorities above those of the boards.

http://www.bcen.bc.ca/bcerart/Vol2-4/kemanoga.htm
THE MULRONEY ERA: FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES

The gods were smiling on Alcan in September 1984 when Brian Mulroney swept to power. The rewarding partnership between Mulroney and Alcan lasted almost nine years. Eight months before Mulroney was elected, Alcan had applied to the B.C. government to get approval for what was then a $3-billion, Kemano project. But it was facing stiff opposition from the public and a group of pesky scientists at the Department of Fisheries and Oceans known as the Kemano Task Force.

Mark Hume's Jan. 8, 1991 opinion piece that tried to explain the Kemano 2 agreement was headlined "Fish Flounder in the Face of Alcan's Clout". Hume wrote that, "The company has two directors made companions of the Order of Canada by Mulroney's government, two Conservative Senators appointed by Mulroney, a former ambassador who served Mulroney loyally during the free trade campaign and three directors who serve on advisory bodies to Mulroney's administration." Sgt. White, who reviewed Hume's article as part of his investigation, said "The only way to prove a case against the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans would be to prove the allegation outline by Mark Hume, that Alcan received its desired flows on the Nechako River in return for financial support in the last election campaign. This is pure speculation. There is no proof. The decision appears to be a political one."

Ooopss..gotta go for dinner..... Lot's of reasons why the Conservatives would be a poor choice.

mark

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2005, 09:25:22 PM »

Well...... What the hell lets all start a new party guys The Fishers Party.We can take the money made from the stupid gun law and use that money for fisheries conservation instead. ;D

No_way

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2005, 03:19:14 PM »

Well...... What the hell lets all start a new party guys The Fishers Party.We can take the money made from the stupid gun law and use that money for fisheries conservation instead. ;D

Sure, get a couple billionare backers and maybe you'll get a vote or two.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 03:32:23 PM by No_way »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2005, 03:25:08 PM »

Anyone that solely bases their vote on fisheries needs to give their head a shake.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »

Anyone that solely bases their vote on fisheries needs to give their head a shake.

Totally agree