Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Advise Sage Centerpin rod  (Read 10246 times)

carpman

• I'm a llama!
Need Advise Sage Centerpin rod
« on: January 03, 2006, 06:16:42 PM »

Need some advise on which Sage rod to go with:

1. 3106L
2. 2106

Planning to target cohos and steelies.  Need details like comfort,  casting, etc.....thanks

carpman

• I'm a llama!
Re: Need Advise Sage Centerpin rod
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »

for the vedder/cap

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 10:49:05 PM »

I personally use the Sage 2106

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »

i 100% back F/A's choice. 3106 is better as a baitcaster, stiffer super heavy diameter butt secton, 2106 has a more supple bend from tip to butt, more forgiving when pinnin and lighter in the hand as well. 2106 would be perfect for coho and steelhead in lowermainland size rivers though i would exercise some caution when hooking up springs and chums

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 05:23:54 PM »

Allwaysfishin, I think Carpman is comparing the 3106L with the 2106, not with the 3106, which is alot stiffer and faster ;D  I think the 3106L has more of a softer action than a 2106, being that "L" stands for light, therefore its better suited as a centrepin rod. The 2106 is ideal for a light baitcaster reel, such as a low profile shimano or a 5600 series abu with its faster tip action. The 3106L and 2106 are both very good choices for coho and steelhead fishing on rivers that are about the same size or smaller than the Vedder/Chilliwack river.
Carpman, are you buying a factory or custom built Sage? I ask, because the 2106 factory rod is currently only available as a baitcast configured handle with a trigger reelseat and the 3106L is only available with a centrepin configured handle :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 05:25:29 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:53:40 PM »

so would the 2106L be a better choice than 2106?

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:56:52 PM »

I would like to have the 2106/L as a factory rod if possible.  I know the cost involved in replacing a custom rod is quite a bit more.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 07:04:22 PM »

i dont like what they do with those factory sages, they put a crappy neoprene butt on the end of it, its just crap
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 06:27:03 AM »

Carpman, the 2106L is even softer than a 3106L, with almost a "noodle" type soft action. The 2106L is best suited for low water and small stream situations, such as the Alouette. In my opinion the 2106L is almost too soft, because it lacks the backbone needed to turn fish in faster water and lacks the ability to set the hook well with hooks that are bigger than a #1. The 2106L is only available as a blank, you may still be able to find one.

Kingpin, I assume you are talking about the Sage "C P" series, which are their centrepin rods that have the foam butt caps. I think they went this route because they have access to a large supply of those foam butt caps since they use the same butt caps on their spey rods. The "C T" and "C T-F" series, or baitcast rods, have a gun metal anodized aluminum butt cap. You are probably accustomed to the custom aluminum butt caps made by Complete Angler which is a local suppler that makes them in limited production. Those fancy custom aluminum butt caps are a regional fisherman's preference, meaning only fisherman in BC prefer them ;D If you go to other regions such as the Great Lakes, they seam to prefer fancy wood butt caps on their custom built rods.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:03:44 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 09:06:47 AM »

hmmmm....u guys use butt caps on your pins?????...on my pin of 20 yrs or so...the handle is the butt....what is the purpose of these "butt caps"???

mojo still learnin'
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 09:20:22 AM »

Easier on your gut

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »

I think the variety of  butt caps are mainly due the variety of asthetic taste we all have .  They can come in cork, rubber, metal, wood/wood burles,  etc and they pretty much do the exact same job.  Only difference is in how they look so Mojo, if you like cork, then a butt cap made of cork is for you.  I like a metal collar with rubber bumper...heck its pretty much all the same!

While I am making a post, Carpman...any reason you wouldnt consider a 3113???  I havent fished the other 2 models but my 3113mb has been a delight for all the rivers I fish (chehalis,vedder, cap, seymour, thompson, stamp, etc). 

The 3113 is a very limber rod with a nice even bend from top to bottom.  It has a soft tip, great for casting a pin, and a strong back bone too.  Its soft tip makes it nice to play even a 3-4 lb cap coho and its back bone makes it capable of subduing chums and big whites too.  One of my most memorable battles on my 3113 was a 9 lb summer run taken on 4lb test!   Simply awsome!  I would highly recommend you consider that model too.

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 06:11:54 PM »

Gooey, thanks for the heads-up.  I will consider anything reasonable...
That being said, since I'm a smaller guy, I'd like something light and easy to cast.

Chrome Mykiss, regarding factory rods, I'm only going by what berry's has on their webpage.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 07:21:15 PM »

Carpman, I assume you are going by this page http://www.berrysbait.com/1/13/08/02/1101.asp on the Berry's website? If so, the rods listed on that page are custom and not factory Sage drift rods. The price is almost a $150 cheaper for the custom rod, but you have to take into consideration the components between the factory rod and the custom built. The factory rod has zirconium guides which are far more superior to the hardloy type guides that are most common on custom built rods. The reel seat on a factory sage centrepin rod is a fully anodized machine aluminum reel seat, which is worth about $60 :P  The Sage factory drift rods also come with a rod sock and an aluminum tube. Another thing to consider is the warranty, with a custom built you will have to get a rod builder to strip parts off the old broken section and rebuild them on to the new section of blank. If you break a Sage factory drift rod, they will send you a new section that is already built, therefore you save in the costs of labour for a rod builder ;D  The process of getting a blank section rebuilt can take weeks depending on the work load of the rod builder :-\
Here's a list of Sage factory drift rods that are available at Fred's Custom Tackle http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/rods/sage-gear.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:25:53 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 07:38:11 PM »

thanks!