Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lucky Lew And Dean Assist, Another Journal, Vedder, January 17  (Read 5968 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Lucky Lew And Dean Assist, Another Journal, Vedder, January 17
« on: January 17, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »

After yesterday's excitment and fishing all day I was in poor shape this morning. My cold was now worse than yesterday, probably because getting damp in the afternoon rain. However I dragged myself out of bed and slipped down to check the river readings on the computer. It showed a jump of about 3 to 4 inches.
Just as I was thinking of returning to the comfort of my bed the Master calls and says he is near the river and will give me a report on how the visibility is in a few minutes.

Around 7:00 I get the word from Nick, "the river is up a bit but fishable". I of course am now wide awake and decide to go and give it a try for a bit. I gather my equipment and am on the road in about 10 minutes with the first stop at Tims of course, the only bright spot so far to the day other than the full moon beaming down between the broken cloud cover.

I reach my fishing area just as daylight begins to break, I am happy to see it does not look like rain for a change. I am amazed there is no fisherman around, only some early morning walkers. As I cross the sidestream I see the visibility is 12 to 18 inches not the best but as Nick says fishable. Besides I have caught fish in these conditions but one has to work harder thats all.

I head to the "root run" but it looks a bit fast to me in the overnight jump in the water so I head to the KE run and spend some time there before moving to try some other spots to no avail.

As I wanted to take the truck load of bottles in from Saturday's cleanup in I decide that would be more profitable. Before I leave the area I stop at the KE run for a few casts. I get a pull down there but not certain what is was, a small twig embedded in the rocks or what. Whatever it was the drennan did not disappear again.

I get home to load the bottles and I see a e-mail from ATS that he is coming up with his friend Dean, we agree to meet at Cookies for lunch. Around the same time I get a call from the Master, he has just taken a nice hatchery doe and of course finished for the day. As he is going to meet bederko for lunch we decide to get together with ATS and Dean. Nothing better than having lunch with some good fishing partners and those that are committed to saving our fish and the environment they live in like ATS is.

ATS who I have just met last Saturday is working hard on the proposed gravel mine on the Chehalis River. He has put a lot of time on this issue and we must support him as much as we can. He has got the ball rolling and a number of other groups are also getting involved all very concerns what this could do to the Chehalis if it did get the go ahead from Government agencies, great work ATS.

After lunch we go our seperate ways, me to take the bottles in, some of the others fishing somehere. ;D ;D

Before we leave Dean shows me some nice roe sacks he has tied up and I bum 4, boy did they look good, better than mine. ;D

I complete the awful job of doing the bottle returns, I do not know how the CVRCC directors always stick me with that job. ??? Anyway the staff at Encorp always are good as they also appreciate the work the CVRCC and the volunteers do on cleaning up the Chilliwack Vedder River so they pitch in and help do the sorting. We set a record this time as we got a total of $68.65. I give the staff a $10 tip as they save me 30 minutes of time. As well I wanted to try to get back to the river for the last part of the day, in the hope it had cleared up a bit.

As Lew is the CVRCC treasurer I phone him on his cel and see if I can get him the monies. As luck would have it he is just finished fishing so we decide to meet at Fred's to do the exchange.

Lew by the way has had some excellent fishing the last two days with two very nice hatchery fish, one that hit the scales at 13 pounds 6 ounces, a very nice doe. I was very happy for him as Lew works so hard with the rest of the CVRCC directors on the Adopt A River program so he was well rewarded on Sunday and Monday with these two steelhead. ;D ;D

After doing the money transaction at Fred's Lew says " you got to show me where you are catching your fish". ;D  "No problem lets go" is my reply. One thing Lew and I over the years seem to be a lucky charm to each other. This is no lie when we fish steelhead together or near each other I hazard to guess we are into a steelhead 75 percent of the time. ;D Lew can comment on that later.

Anyway as we head to the KE run we see Toothpick Tom and Chris fishing the "root run". I tell Lew lets go right to the KE run wondering if the two mentioned anglers had been there.

As we slip into the KE run I see the water is much improved from my early morning visit. We start at the top of the run as I have now slipped on one of Dean's deadly roe sacks. I say some thing to the fact to Lew you never know when a fish is going to pull in and we talk about how we bring luck to each other. I am not sure how many casts it was but it was not many and down goes the Maple Leaf drennan float. I truthfully could not believe it and I guess it was a mixture of surprise as well but I firmly set the hook.

As I once again for the sixth time this year feel the thrill of the head shake of a steelhead. I remark to Lew most likely too cockly " there's one Lew" as the steelhead heads downstream. A fellow below does not realize I have a fish on for a bit and on seeing the fish thrashing on top of the water opposite him later tells me " I thought it was a fish chasing my float" ;D ::) I should have said if it had a Maple Leaf emblem on your float it could very well have been possible. ;D ;D

The fish then head towards me, in quite close and goes to the top of the run. We are fiddling with my camera as I fight the fish but for some reason I can not get it to fire up. When I first get a glimse of it I think it is a hatchery fish but as we get it closer we see it is a wild doe of around 9 pounds.

As I sling the tube off my shoulder I say to Lew " good another for the hatchery". I guide the now tired fish towards shore and we slip her easily into the tube. A much easier job with two people. I notice the hook is in her mouth deeper than usual but thankfully there is no sign of any blood. Lew skillfully and easily extracts the hook and we zip the holding tube shut.

A call to the hatchery and Ron is on his way down to pick her up with the hatchery truck. Lew continues to fish and I visit with Tom for a while always a good fellow to talk to, one of the top rods on the river with many years of fishing the Vedder.

Ron comes and packs the steelhead to the truck as I follow to retrieve the tube after the fish is safely tucked in the tank. I visit for a while with Tom and Barry who gave us the other fish at the end of day yesterday before heading back to find Lew.

As I near the river Lew is coming towards me and motion to me lets go have a coffee. This to me sounded great as why push our luck fishing together, lets save it for another day, another day when we can get out together on our precious Vedder a river that is dear to both our hearts.

Next time it will be Lew's turn to show me his "hot spot" don't you think and before I forget thanks for the assist Dean. I still have 3 of your roe bags left and I hope they work their magic tomorrow as well. ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 05:57:42 PM by chris gadsden »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Lucky Lew And Dean Assist, Another Journal, Vedder, January 17
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »

Yet another!!!   ;)  Great job!! Again!!  From what I can tell, there were lot's of fish around today!!  I heard of two other ones as well, which you might here about later tonight!!  I wanted to go, but I couldn't do to a rush job that needed to be done today at work!!  Wouldn't you know it, it was a wonderful day out, and work was, well....  Let's just say I should have just gone fishing, because at about 6:45 this morning I badly turned my ankle at work!!  Now it is swollen and wrapped.  But, does not matter, just glad to see some of my friends getting into Steelies!! :D  Besides, the ankle won't keep me off the river this weekend, just slow me down a bit!! ;) ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 06:03:57 PM »

Thanks to IH8XC for making my car not mobile and missing 2 good days of fishing. Tomorrow is another story when it is fixed. 8) Thanks for the report.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »

After yesterday's excitment and fishing all day I was in poor shape this morning.

Had that one beer yesterday eh Chris ! ;D  Sounds like you're having a banner year. Care to share your secret spot ? In return I will lay off bashing the Laughs  ;D ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 06:34:31 PM »

gerat read agian thanks for keeping use tuned in.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:40:25 PM »

great read once again chris ;). good job ;)

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 06:48:04 PM »

Damn retirees!!! ;) ;)

Shane

PistolPete

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 07:02:15 PM »

That Toothpick guy is allways around fish but I never see him catch any ? Good job Chris.

Lew Chater

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »

I can't "beleaf" that a fish would take a lure under a Maple Leaf drennan, but I have to admit, this one sure did a job on Deans bait after only a couple of casts ( the bait was still good to use when I took it out of the fish's mouth.)
 It is as Chris said, I don't know how many times over the years that we have had fished together on the river. Quite often we don't start out together, but meet as I'm coming up the river or Chris is coming down and sure enough, one of the floats goes down. I remember fishing opposite Chris on the other bank and I hooked a huge chrome doe, and Chris waded the river to help me out and take a picture.
It is really exciting to put a wild fish into the tube, knowing that these genes will help keep the steelhead stock growing. Guys like Chris put a lot of work into this program, (I know, I know, it's a tough job but.... ;D...), as it takes a lot of care and time to tube the fish, find  appropriate holding water to tie the tube, phone the hatchery, wait for them to come, help get the fish to the truck,(sometimes over tough terrain etc) and then get your tube back from the truck to try again.

Again as Chris mentions, a lot of people work at various aspects of protecting our environment through participation in various organizations (CVRCC, SDA, FVSS etc) and thank goodness they do. I know that Chris unselfishly gives accounts of his fishing exploits and volunteer work in hopes of encouraging good sportsmanship and care for our resource by those that read his stories.

I'm sure we will be out there tomorrow looking for another adventure. Sure keeps us old pensioners in shape!

Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 08:34:41 PM »

Hats off to Chris and all the people that unselfishly donate their time and expertise to help the resource and the people that enjoy it,all the respect that can be given should go out to all of those individuals.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 08:59:30 PM »

Thanks again for another good read,take good care about your cold ;)

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 09:21:34 PM »

OH NO DEAN IS GOING TO GET A COMPLEX!! ;D ;D

Chris, I just knew you would get a fish with one of those roe sacks. When we left lunch today I said to Dean; " If Chris gets a fish with your roe sack, after I got one with one of them last week would you be frustrated"? Of course, Dean said no, not at all, he would be happy if you got one. But he did admit, he's getting a bit flustered having this dry spell right now. I've been very fortunate to have landed 5 so far and lost 3. :) Usually Dean and I are pretty equal in fish numbers, but for some reason his float hasn't been going down lately. I know that will change soon though. :) Hopefully Dean will be posting his own reports soon as I know he has his user name picked out already.(Chris knows what it will be, I'll leave that as a surprise from Dean. ;D it's a funny one.) By the way Chris, if you want that recipe for the roe sacks, let me know, we can share it with such a deserving person. We've perfected that recipe over years and years of testing countless recipes.  ;D You'll have a hard time breaking an egg with your fingers squeezing them, :o but when they do explode, it's a mouth full of succulent egg juice in the fishes mouth. When they bite, they don't let go. :o

Anyway, I will add my report since I am here now. ;D First off I should say I got a nice 10lb hatchery doe yesterday from some local flow. :o ;D You will have to figure out some how what local means to me. ;D 8) I had an hour and a half before dark yesterday so I headed to a spot where I lost a couple of steelies the other day. I was fishing some big boulders in some white water when my float got slammed down quickly. I learned my lesson from the other day because in this spot I have to cast way upstream then reel up all the slack line quickly as the float comes toward me. There's no other way to fish this spot. The other day I hooked two there but couldn't set the hook because I was not fast enough at reeling up the slack. This time I did it right!

This plump chrome doe ate a juicy Coho roe bag (this one was my roe bag ;D). After a scrappy fight where the steely tried to go into some overhang and also tried to knock itself out on a rock with a backwards jump, :o i managed to swing the spunky fish into a slack water pocket where I decided to retain the fish for a future supper meal. She weighed a little over 10lbs. :) I think I should have gone back there today. :'(

After speaking with Chris on the phone this morning we decided (Dean and I) to meet Chris, Nick, and Bederko for lunch at Cookies in Chilliwack. I had to pick up my repaired Sage rod from Pete at Fred's so it worked out well. THANKS PETE!! Excellent job as always. I think I break a rod every year or two. ::) :P
So after a nice lunch and some good conversation,(Dean and Chris sure knew a lot of the same people :o small world) Dean and I decided to go and fish the Chehalis. We really wanted to stay and fish the Vedder, but we knew the hatchery has not received any brood stock on the Chehalis yet so we thought that would be more rewarding if we got a wild fish there since we do not have brood permits on the Vedder anyway. ( I miss the Vedder!!!!!!!! :'( ) Save some fish for me Chris. ;)

Anyway, we only had a couple of hours to fish so we went to the Pump House (Intake), as we seen there were a couple of vehicles at the Easter Seal run. The water was medium height and quite clear. I started at the Intake, and Dean headed up to the C hole. Dean took a long rope with him in case he tubed a fish, I could cast across over to him to retrieve the rope and swing the tubed fish across the river. It was a good thought, but there were no fish to be had at the C hole.

I pounded around the Intake for awhile and only had one good take down, but that was it. Then I fished above there for awhile and below it in the riffles by the bridge but with no success. Dean then went across the river and fished the root tree and below and above it without a sniff. Of course we didn't have time to search other areas, but we were surprised not to have touched anything there because the river was in good shape. Oh well, that's fishing I guess.

All in all it was a nice day to be out. The weather was fine, and we had a nice lunch with friends as well as getting my steely stick back from Pete. ;D

Congratulations on another well caught Steely and a great read Chris, and hope to see you again soon. Perhaps on the flow next time. I tried to give Dean a call to give him the news, but there's no answer, he may be taking a snooze.

All the best,

ATS

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:32:21 PM »

Damn retirees!!! ;) ;)

Shane

No kidding. ::) This kind of cruel treatment should be banned! :o I pick up the phone and I hear, "Just heading out now. So, you should drive out here." or, "Yeah, yesterday was a fantastic day, you should have come out." If it's not phone calls, I get emails with all these photos popping out of them. :-\ Meanwhile, I spent 6 hours on the screen today typing, another hour going over bills and account balance, a couple hours of reading studies... Cruel I tell ya! :o

Nice stories though. ;) Not to worry, it's only January, and if history repeats itself, this is when most of you peak in the entire steelhead season. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »

Thats good, you youngsters, Rod, FA, Shane, TS and others, you have to keep working to pay our pensions. ;D ;D Also you are supposed to leave the river to us old guys during the week, keep your nose to the grindstone. ;D

By the way only a little over 8 hours until the float goes down tomorrow. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 11:13:59 PM »

A few more hours I'll be out on my local flow. Tough when you're the boss  :D