Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maple Leaf Drennan, Missing In Action, Vedder Report Jan. 25  (Read 5438 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Maple Leaf Drennan, Missing In Action, Vedder Report Jan. 25
« on: January 25, 2006, 08:15:28 PM »

A warm welcome once again to the members and guests on FWR to another fishing journal on the Vedder River.

The usual routine this morning as I will be headed to the "Starting Run". I left the Leaf Mobile at 7:30. As I begin my walk down the trail I notice a half a dozen other vehicles ahead of me. No worries as I am more interested in getting a wild fish for the tube no matter who catches it.

As I reach the river I am  pleased to see the East wind from yesterday has died down and as well no one in the zone of the "Starting Run". I observe 3 angler in the "Above Run" and a few down river of me.

I settle in and start working the area where the steelhead have been laying the last while. After about 5 minutes an angler from above comes down and we exchange greetings. He slips below me and around 7:45 on a long drift, too long to be honest the Maple Leaf Drennan goes for its daily swim. ;D I set the hook firmly and I am battling my 12th steelhead of the season. The fight goes well although not a long one. I am disappointed that I see no adipose fin so no steelhead for the tube once again. It is getting a bit frustrating as I want to do my part in the brood capture program. This makes 9 out of the 11 steehead I have landed being a hatchery fish. That means I have only tubed 2 and picked one other from another angler.

I gentle flip her back in the upright position and she is on her way, back into the run from where she came.

As I walk back up to where I hit the fish I see a fish flipping on the beach at the "Above Run". I guess it was hooked around the same time I was into my fish. The anglers comes down later and it is Ross with a nice doe in the 11 to 12 pound range I estimate.

Shortly after Ross has left the chap fishing beside me is into one also. I put my rod down and get the tube ready , surely this will be a wild but no, another hatchery doe, around 7 to 8 pounds, the angler decides to keep it.

3 fish in around 30 minutes, all hatchery. :o Soon after I see another fish being packed down on the otherside of the river.

Nothing else happens so I move down to the run where I got the steelhead on Monday. I miss what I was positive was a fish but it will not come back. I fish some other runs for a while and come back where I had the bite. First cast down goes the float, solid, solid allright as it is a snag. :'(

Just then I hear Lew who has appeared from no where say "better not loose that lucky Maple Leaf Drennan"  ::)

I apply pressure and bang everything is gone as the line breaks above the drennan, Heartbreak Hotel, as my dear Maple Leaf Drennan that has caught all 11 fish disappears from sight. I look for it floating downstream with the dreaded thought that Fish Assassan would one day find it in a log jam and in a fit of revenge smash it with a hammer or worse still put another teams logo on it, whatever that team is.  ;D ;D

I look for it in the glaring sun but I can not see it, if I could I would make chase. :'( I do not remember what Lew said, if it was in sympathy of my loss or he thought it was funny to personally see my good luck charm gone. ::)

I tell him lets go for coffee at Woody's Grill to drown my sorrow, no beer there FA. ;D

Before I leave I go to the other side of the side channel, I see the killer snag but not my beloved.

I meet Lew at Woody's and we have a good visit with Carp who shows us some great salmon and halibut pictures. He is a guide so if you drop in for one of those famous mushroom burgers ask to see them.

After coffee Lew heads for home and I back for the last 4 hours of fishing time. I of course have to re rig with a new drennan but no logo on it so I knew I should have gone home. As I reach the river once again a very strong wind from the West this time has picked up and rain as well. As I reach the river a fellow is just landing a fish but once again another hatchery. ??? I meet up with young Nick and we fish near each other and he misses a fish that bangs up his roe bag. I find nothing and run into gofish who tells me he picked up one earlier in the day. He heads off to work and I head down to the scene of the drennan loss. I wade out a bit into the strong flow with a wading stick. I see the snag and a few hooks with wool embedded in the small root.

I scan the area frantically looking for the red topped drennan and blue and white logo. All of a sudden there it is ;D ;D ;D as I peer between the windows of the flow it seems to be waving at me to be rescued from it watery grave. ;D  I am sure it wants to resume the pleasure of aiding in the catching of more steelhead. The wading staff is perfect for hooking onto the line and in about two trys the drennan and all the gear is resting safely in the palm of my hand.  ;D

I notice the line broke about 15 feet above the drennan, maybe rubbing against the "Broken Rod Log Jam" while playing a fish there last week.

Anyway my day is now complete, one fish to the beach, although not a wild with the Maple Leaf Drennan rescued to live another day.

I fish my way back upstream finding nothing. I run into Joe who has also picked up a fish giving him somewhere in the 20 's so far this season. We have agood visit before we both head for our respective homes vowing to once again to be out tomorrow once again in search of another trophy steelhead.

I of course will be re rigged with the Maple Leaf Drennan that I am sure will be ready once again ready to roll  I think now it will really spin its magic making the next steelhead a wild for the brood capture tube after going "Missing In Action" for a few hours, whats your guess. ;D

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 10:42:06 PM by chris gadsden »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Maple Leaf Drennan, Missing In Action, Vedder Report Jan. 25
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 08:26:15 PM »

Or maybe it will be a bit ticked at you fro losing it in the first place!! ;D ;D  But besides that, another great journal, good job on the fish, even if it was a hatch. ;D ;D  BTW, were you anywhere near the "pot" run today??  Interested in know if there is still any action there!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 08:26:49 PM »

Great report Chris. My drennan will be going back under on Friday as I have to work again tomorrow. Don't worry about Fish Assassin picking up that drennan if you lose it again. He can't swim. Better consider taking some lessons though the way hes been bad talking the leafs if he plans on fishing the Vedder. ;D ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:30:06 PM »

don't know if anyone else does this but I load my reel with 20lbs smoke fireline and tie in a 14ft "tippet" of 15 lbs maxima with a double uni knot. my duolock swivel then attaches to the maxima. I have not lost a float in 2 steelhead seasons.... touch wood  ;D

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 08:30:16 PM »

yet another fish for the lucky drennon ;D ;D good job on the fish.

My drennon float that got me my first steel will be going down tom and i will share the pics with you ;D

gofish

• doh!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 08:42:33 PM »

Nice to meet you today Chris! After fishing the upper all morning with only 1 fish on,  I was eager to head down into your lower river "hot zone" and hopefully help fill the hatchery tube but was truly shocked to see 8 guys fishing the same 200' :o of water when I arrived ( maybe next year's coho fishermen staking out their rock to fish on already? ::) ) I figured that was you downriver and should have known better than to fish the water that you and your pet float had just fished through, but hey, you just never know when the steel will cooperate.  All the best, see you out there.  PS. good call on the parking spot, alot more visible where you were.
get off the couch

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 09:03:47 PM »

great reports, good to see you found you drennan 8)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 09:19:15 PM »

Better consider taking some lessons though the way hes been bad talking the leafs if he plans on fishing the Vedder. ;D ;D ;D

You're beginning to sound like a closet Make Belief fan ;D ;D ;D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »

Damn i wanted to find that drennan...i've got one with maple leaf killer written on it...i was looking for you on Sat. and was gonna "lose it" above you...oh well...

Lew Chater

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 10:23:45 PM »

And here I thought I was witness to the loss of the famed Maple Leaf Drennan. Should have known Chris would go back for another look as we didn't see it float away, too much bright sunlight. No fish for me but a beautiful morning just to be out!
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »

these daily journals are so refreshing.... keep up the great work chris... i'll be watchin out for you tomorrow  ;D

svsv71

• Advertiser
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 10:40:34 PM »

I went fishing today....no fish
found a drennan under rock.. :)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 12:04:59 AM »

Reading Chris' daily steelhead journal this season may lead to one of two conclusions. 1. It is quite an extraordindary steelhead season, 2. Chris is getting too good.  Or can it be both?  ;D  Congratulation to Chris again for another hatch-releasing day.  Us guys fishing the mid river rapids are forever grateful that you lower river guys are letting the hatch steelies go so we can have a crack at them up where we are.  ;D  Keep them coming .....  :D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 12:14:23 AM »

I would say that this steelhead season so far is the best i've seen in many years, I'd be interested to hear more opinions on that

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 12:25:22 AM »

Ironic that salmon fishing did not live up to it's billing last year but steelheads are in abundance this year. (relatively speaking)