Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Failure creates adventure on way to Vedder  (Read 2542 times)

Riverman

• old fart
Failure creates adventure on way to Vedder
« on: January 30, 2006, 10:52:20 AM »

Only having Monday as my one opportunity to go steelheading I was determined to succeed!Lately I have had a nagging feeling that I should be treating the fish gods with more respect.I neglected to listen to my gut with near tragic consequences!
     Put up some beauty roe bags Sunday.Also prepared some first class shrimp I was certain were going to be the ticket.Went over my tackle with care to the little details and I was sure I had it right.Yessir this was going to be a rare outing.But there was that feeling again Checked out the old 4x4 just to be on the safe side.Found a slight leak at the clamp holding the hose on the tranny cooler.new clamp shorten hose ready to go.To bed early with thoughts of chrome steelhead rocketing thru the pools of the vedder keeping me awake.As I lay there I could here the rain coming down with ever increasing intensity.Oh well I thought it usually rains less up there anyway.             
  5 am roll out down the freeway I go.Just past Whatcom Road the tranny starts to sound like it is stuck in first grear.I back off to about 70 kmh and try to make make No 3 road just before she quits altogether.But I stay calm put er in neutral and coast off the highway and into the lot of the veggie store.The clamp I installed has failed and I have lost all tranny fluid! Ouch! At seventhirty I get a tow number from the store owner.Ben from Jack's arrives and we swap fishin stories all the way back to Bert's transmissions in Langley. :'(
  I see by the local creeks fishing was a bust anyway.I still would have enjoyed the walk though.Next time I am going to have more respect for the river goddess.So here I sit waiting for call from the mechanic.
   I think I will go and offer up a small animal or something in sacrifice(just kidding Peta police)
Riverman

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re: Failure creates adventure on way to Vedder
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 11:24:24 AM »

You are lucky- you saved about $20.00 in gas. I was up there...what a mud flow!!!!!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:43:39 PM »

Hopefully is not a expensive repair

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »

sorry was in the general area at that time good luck with the tranny repair ,I should have checked river conditions before leaving you needed a plough to fish that water..  :'(  
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!