Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tofino report February 18th  (Read 5430 times)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
Re: Tofino report February 18th
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 05:34:46 PM »

f/m are you jealous ?  i thought you were a guide yourself down here and you should know how cutthroat this business is...... i guided  for years out of granville island and horseshoe bay and got out of it 20 years ago  because everybody and thier dog that owned a boat started guiding during expo 86.

Bill Bill Bill...Well..look at it this way...there's basically only a handful of operators locally now.

Bonnie Lee Charters.
Bites On.
M and M
Bavaria (think he's packed it in to guide the Charlottes)
Sewell's (Predator, Mickey Finn, Mongoose Striker, Built for Speed etc.. )

and the other guys locally..well..they don't count for much really since they're rarely on the water... There's plenty of room locally for more guides so I recommend getting back on in if guiding's your thing.

By the way...I'd be willing to bet a sizeable sum of money that if 100 boats were fishing local waters including around Bowen Island locally on a given day...only one boat may be fortunate enough to hook a fish that size at this time of year....and I'd place my bets on a guide boat... or the weekend warrior fishing in lala land who flukes out by coming across the fish.  I'd probably place an educated guess that there are fewer than 8 springs above the 20 lb mark in 15 square miles around Vancouver right now. 

Anyways.speaking of winter springs...locally I hear the fishing can be quite consistent dependent on the amount of effort you want to put in right now.. with most fish up to 15 lbs weighed and many around the 6 to 10 lb mark..and for the wishful thinkers and those that weigh fish with their eyeballs..what you think is 20 lbs...is likely only 15 at best.  Not saying there aren't fish larger than 20 lbs locally...but there's a lot of fishing time involved in the winter to get a fish that big in Vancouver..this year locally I know of a legitimate 27 lbers hauled out by a guide boat in Horseshoe Bay.

Me jealous? Heck no! Never in a million years.. I have nothing to be jealous of..I've caught more fish than most anglers on the coast have in several lifetimes..

tight lines to everyone out there!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »

Still wondering FM how you know its not a feeder by looks ??? Also was there not a tyee feeder caught last year at bowen? true theres not many 20lbers but that was not the arguement

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 09:13:15 PM »

Still wondering FM how you know its not a feeder by looks ??? Also was there not a tyee feeder caught last year at bowen? true theres not many 20lbers but that was not the arguement

The colour of the fish number one, the girth of the fish (notice their sex) , and the overal dimensions, the depth at which they were caught.  I have an commercial troller acquaintance who has fished 25 years and he thinks the fish are Columbia River/ Washington/Oregon River Fish or possibly Quatsino Fish.

Having worked at Langara Island for a few seasons...my analysis seems to fit as well.

You work up there too..see the resemblances?

That "tyee feeder" you're referring to was not a feeder either and I suspect that was a fish destined for an Oregon/ BC River. That was the largest winter caught fish locally in MANY years based on known reports.

That fish was locally surpassed in March or April I believe by an estimated 44 lber caught off Pt. Grey..but it wasn't a feeder..as I know the operation that caught that fish.
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

fishfryer

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 09:18:58 PM »

Boy fishin magician, could you make yourself disappear?

Grub

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 10:08:06 PM »

Hey FM show us some pics of all of your feeders!! Why are you so confrontational?... Maybe you feel the need to compensate for your own short comings by making critical statements of others?

I suggest that you spend more time fishing and less time bashing others because you obviously have to much time on your hands.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:13:42 PM by Rodney »
not cool enough for a banner

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 10:12:22 PM »

all i can say is they are nice fish. 30lber in the winter big fish not matter what. 44lber in march again massive fish. My PB feeders 17lbs from the georgia straight i might have a pic if i do i will post it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 10:13:16 PM »

Boy fishin magician, could you make yourself disappear?

No. But I can. ;D Magic.... ;) But I will not, who else would we make fun of then.... ;D

I think we've had enough of this thread. :) Enjoy the report, and photos... a pleasant read I thought as we don't get too many saltwater features on here.