Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelheading With The Master, The Journal For Feb. 21  (Read 5461 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Steelheading With The Master, The Journal For Feb. 21
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:53:27 PM »

Once again a very warm welcome to all reader of The Journal on Fishing With Rod you fishing information web page in B.C.

After yesterday's very enjoyable day I was looking forward to today adventure and what new might happen out on the river. It seems each day there is something different to report than just the steelhead being caught which this year seems to be one of the best in recent memory. How lone will it last this year is another question.

I had discussed with The Master where we would each start as not much use us being in the same spot each with a tube. Besides he was taking Fred out from Chilliwack Dart and Tackle for his first steelheading trip of the season. We planned to hook up later in the day to fish together as Fred had Inly to around noon to fish.

With our location picked to start the night before when I got to the parking area a little after daylight and as I reach the river I see them both at work. I also see a fellow packing out a nice hatchery fish, his day ended before mine even started. ;D This chap is on the cell phone bubbling his excitement to someone about his good fortune. Also another fellow is playing a fish and needless to say my excitement starts to grow as well so my pace quicken as I head to my starting run.

This run had been productive but had slowed down the last few days and with only 4 anglers there when I  got there there must be another hot spot the regulars that fish this run had found.

I fish there for 20 minutes or so and we are bothered by a cormorant that is seeking out smolts and fry I guess. He would fly to the top of the run and then drift down seeking his prey. Scotty says he say him gulp down a fair sized trout the other day. I practice my throwing arm to try and send him on his way for all his activity could be scaring any steelhead that may be in the run, especially in the clear water. I finally discourage him as he leaves the run as I do, for a new location.

A note on the cormorants I believe they have just started to frequent the Vedder in the last few years and will be taking there toll on smolts as do the diving ducks. Part of nature I guess.

I reach the next run and run into Montegobay man and his two partners. Just before we meet up I think I may have missed a fish but not certain. Have an enjoyable visit with M. M. as we fish but find no more takers so I move towards the "Diving Board Run" which has about 5 anglers working it.Just before I get to it I spot on the other side of the river the tell tale red top of a drennan. ;D My first thought it could be my lost Maple Leaf Drennan #1 so I do some heavy wading to get to it. Montegobay Man must have wondered what I was doing. ;D When I get to it I see it isn't the MLD but I nice 28 gram one instead that is popped into my vest. 

Just before I reach the "Diving Board Run" Malcolm who is at the top of the run signals a fish on below. As I pass Malcolm on the way to see if it as wild for the tube he say and he said two have been taken already and he has released a fish himself. Just before I reach the scene of the action the fish, a good sized one has found a snag and breaks off. Just then Malcolm is into a fish so I charge back up stream, getting my exercise. It is a nice hatchery but Malcolm wants it released which I do for him.

I finally get fishing for a short time when Frank (of Red Toque Run Fame") is into a small fish that turns out to be a hatchery. As he has to leave shortly he says he is going to keep it, I snap a picture. a few years ago when Frank got his first ever hatchery I was there and got a picture forhim which he treasures to this day.

I am then back fishing and it is my turn as the steelhead at the tailout of the run grabs my prawn tail.

It fights well for a fish in the 6 pound range and when I get it near enough to see I see the adipose, good another buck for the tube.

With it safely in the holding tube call to the hatchery made, and Ron will be down in about 45.

Nothing happens for a while and then an angler on the other side rolls a fish. I am not sure how it started but the fellow on my side and the other fellow that lost the fish start shouting at each other.
I guess the one on the other side thought maybe the one on this side cast to close to where he lost the fish. The language got quite colorful if you could call it that. I tried to reason with the fellow on my side that it was not worth getting into such a discussion but it did not help.

As this was spoiling a number of angler's day including mine I picked up the tubed fish and pulled it to the top of the run as far away from this verbal exchange thinking to myself no fish is worth this sort of thing. :(

I folded up my rod and waited for Ron and it was not a long wait as I see him appear just as another fish is hooked at the bottom of the run, I slip for a look but it is a hatchery which is eventually lost.

Ron loads up my fish and I catch a ride back to the Leaf Mobile.

I see " The Master" working the run I saw him at earlier, I phone him on the cell and said lets go for lunch. OK he says and adds we have had a good day so far, 8 hooked between Fred and I with 4 landed. Fred has taken a fish so he is now a spectator. ;D

The three of head to Cookies for lunch and I get the run down of the morning action, good stories as usual. ;D

Nick takes Fred home and I head to the area we are to fish and wait for him. As I wait I see one fish taken and apparently 2 were just hooked and lost before that.

As Nick arrives we head to the run we are going to start at and in no time Nick has missed 2. I have one fish chomp my prawn tail in half but I donot set the hook as the float does not go completely under.

Finally "The Master" lives up to his name and is into a nice fish. I go up and help him tube very bright wild doe. Nick snaps a picture of me putting it in the tube and then calls for the hatchery truck and Ron. The hatchery says he is currently picking up a buck from stdslayer and Ron will be us shortly.

Two fellows near me move to "The Master" asking questions I am sure, realizing he truly is "The Master". Always being helpful to the new angler as he was to me many years ago I see him slip each of the anglers some of his tied roe sacks to try and get them into a steelhead also. ;D Good show.

Ron appears and I go with him to retrieve Nick's tube and but mine and his away as the tubing day is over..

We then head to "3 Fish Run" but we find nothing. Nick decides to head back down and I up to where I got that nice wild doe at the end of yesterday's fishing. We say we will meet up around 4.

When I get to my run 2 fellows working it so I go to a run above them. In no time where I got the one yesterday one of the angler lands a nice 11 or so hatchery doe that he keeps. The other angler then moved into the hot spot and then in no time he has nice 12 to 13 pound doe on the beach.

With the run now vacant I move into position, telling the two lucky ones "my turn now". ;D

As try as I can my float stays above water as the two lucky one bubble over their success.
They leave together with their prize as I continue to flog the water. Then on the other side 3 fellows appear. One appears to be a guide the others clients. :-\

In a few casts one breaks off on a snag, they look like beginners to me as the guide gives some advice. as the one that broke off ties up the other fellow is now into a fish, did I say beginners?

He eventual breaks off the fish but to save myself further embarrassment I decide to leave before they hook another in front of me. ;D Anyway time to meet up with Nick who when I reach him has not had a further opportunity either.

As we leave for our vehicles we decide it was a good day being able to tube a fish each but Nick provided once again he is truly " The Master" getting into seven fish to my one but there was yesterday that was my day but I guess that is now history. ;D

Wait for tomorrow though as we will go our separate ways to start another adventure and another journal.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 07:25:03 PM by chris gadsden »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Steelheading With The Master, The Journal For Feb. 21
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:04:40 PM »

Thanks for the report Chris!!  How was the weather today??  BTW, did you have the Hat and the Make me Laugh Drennen?  If you did that could explain your slow day!!  Maybe you should leave them at home again and see what happens!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 07:11:55 PM »

good report man "the master" get alot of fish, ::)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 07:28:18 PM »

awsome report   nice pics
weeeeeeeeeow!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:42:46 PM »

Nice to hear the old farts are cleaning out the river again on the weekdays. :) Another great read, only making us jealous.
The Bigger The Better!

SNAFU

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »

Chris;

As always a great report; thank-you.  I ran into Frank (w/ red toque) on Sunday afternoon shortly after he caught a nice hatchery buck.  Did he tell you about it?  and if he so, did he indicate what the weight was?  I gave him an estimate and am curious how close I really was.

I know where MDF#1 is............I saw Bryan McCabe pull it from his gear bag in Torino (wink)....

SNAFU (Brian)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »

I know where MDF#1 is............I saw Bryan McCabe pull it from his gear bag in Torino (wink)....

Now we know what's ailing Team Canada :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 10:47:47 PM »

Did you get rain in the wack yesterday or did it stay dry for you guys down there? If so is the water still dropping and clearing?
Very light rain not enough to change anything at the momement.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 11:04:35 PM »

Looks like this year's steelheading has turned out to be a turkey shoot, way more fish than usual. What a season! Wish I can be at the river more.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 12:01:29 AM »

Nice reports.

Damn, its very tempting to head out there, even with the "crowds".

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 12:15:40 AM »

There has been a fair amount of room in the late afternoon. As I said in my report on Monday I had a number of runs to myself the last two hours and hooked two fish.

A lot of people go home with a fish so that clears some off the river. ;D ;D

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 01:09:40 AM »

Nice report & pictures too Chris. Keep up the great report.

Joey

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »

Nothing happens for a while and then an angler on the other side rolls a fish. I am not sure how it started but the fellow on my side and the other fellow that lost the fish start shouting at each other.
I guess the one on the other side thought maybe the one on this side cast to close to where he lost the fish. The language got quite colorful if you could call it that. I tried to reason with the fellow on my side that it was not worth getting into such a discussion but it did not help.

It happened when you lost a fish.This guy with centre pin cannot cast far and beside the run was quite wide.Some old folk get cranky all the time

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 04:59:02 PM »

It sounds like a gong show down there,another sockeye season at the vedder ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 07:35:27 PM »

It sounds like a gong show down there,another sockeye season at the vedder ::)
Not really as there are very few instances like this during the steelhead season. Most steelheader anglers get along very well.

Of course I got upset with an angler a few days ago for dragging a wild steelhead on the beach and maybe was too vocal myself. ::)