Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biggest Spring?  (Read 10140 times)

ratfish

Biggest Spring?
« on: February 23, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »

Hey guys I just recently moved from up north and was wondering what is the record for largest spring caught in the lower mainland and if any of you guys have caught any really big ones? I have caught them in the fifties but was wondering if their are any around here that big. Thanks

ratfish

Re: Biggest Spring?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 03:21:06 PM »

Thanks for the info Birdman. A vedder white up to fifty sounds like fun. Still looking for an official record though. I caught a white vedder spring last fall about 18 pounds. Was bright chrome when I landed it but turned to a boot in about 15 minutes. Back home the whites didn't do that.They stayed silver forever. Gonna get smoked this weekend so i will see if it tastes ok. 

ratfish

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 03:28:56 PM »

Well i did bleed it out and cut the gills out but that was after the 15 minutes when i looked back and seen it turn black. Up north you can leave them for an hour or two before you have to worry about bleeding them. They just seem to stay the same.

ratfish

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 04:34:12 PM »

Well what about harrison whites because isn't that where the vedder whites came from? Do the harrison whites turn boot right away too? Oh yeah still looking to hear what the record spring is for the lowermainland.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 04:35:32 PM »

caught a 43lb'r last year, didn't boot up all..only boots were boots later in the year.

ratfish

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 04:39:08 PM »

Wow, Nice fish golfman65!!! Must of been a good fight eh. How early did you catch him?

ratfish

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 04:42:26 PM »

63 pounds eh, I wouldn't mind that pulling on my line. That isn't to far of from my hometown record either which is 78 pounds i do beleive.

ratfish

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 04:43:52 PM »

I caught the 18 pounder in mid october

FilletSniffr

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 06:55:49 PM »

Hey that's huge Ratfish!! What did you catch the beast on?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 08:08:39 PM »

35 on my 6wt; not what I wanted to do on my 6wt, but once she hit I just had to land her.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 08:13:51 PM »

I've seen a 75 lb fish taken in teh summer from the chuck up North, lodge record is 82 lbs I believe.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

ko

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 08:37:47 PM »

whites on the vedder are a dime a dozen, when there in the vedder im usually fishing for coho, in which  i find them a nusince, they were introduced in the vedder which wrecked the coho fishery, on the fraser for reds my biggest is 32and a half i only fish with 12lb main and 10lb leader and number 2 hooks for springs, and i dont loose very many cause you have miles of bar to walk, whites down here if they are bullet crome will still turn a bit in color, that dosent mean anything you could take news paper wrap them in it and they will turn back to crome most guys throw them back unless they are does for the roe, i find they are great eating just like the reds and the marbles are great tasting fish also the average size for the whites on the vedder are about 15lbs-19lbs the average size for the reds are 12lbs-17lbs a little smaller average but there are still plenty of 25lbsers for both species

ko

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 08:56:20 PM »

sounds like your cooking your fish in ****t

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 09:10:53 PM »

I dont mind whites at all, there expecially good smoked.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 09:57:06 PM »

Wow, Nice fish golfman65!!! Must of been a good fight eh. How early did you catch him?

caught him on 10/2 last year, it was like trying to land a car. he went up river for awhile at a walking pace, then jumped once and headed down at a walking pace again, took me way down river but i finally got him when i walked him way up on a gravel bar. i had on 15 lb test and couldn't budge him at all.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:59:44 PM by golfman65 »