Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biggest Spring?  (Read 10141 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Biggest Spring?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 10:26:26 PM »

This one is my biggest (chrome ::)) spring to date. Unfortunately, I never got to weigh it. Any guesstimates based on this picture? My guess is high 30s, maybe 38.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 12:22:52 AM »

I dont mind whites at all, there expecially good smoked.

I had my stomache pumped from eating smoked white in 2000. It had gone bad and I got really really bad food poisoning. As a result I dont eat fish anymore, I can't stand the smell of fish cooking, and I'll projectile puke if I smell it....

Largest Spring, for me, was between Keats and Gibsons in 1991 and it weighed 64 3/4lbs.

tnt

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 07:37:59 AM »

if some one want to post a pic for me I have a picture of a 64lb red from the fraser my younger brother got, its a fricken hawg. The harrison boast springs into the 70lb range but they are all whites, catch and release only, a great fishery though. I can email the pic
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »

if some one want to post a pic for me I have a picture of a 64lb red from the fraser my younger brother got, its a fricken hawg. The harrison boast springs into the 70lb range but they are all whites, catch and release only, a great fishery though. I can email the pic

Just get a Photobucket.com account and post it yourself :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 11:23:47 AM »

Photo for tnt is attached to this post (log in to view).

Hmm... Big fish... :o

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »

whites on the vedder are a dime a dozen, when there in the vedder im usually fishing for coho, in which  i find them a nusince, they were introduced in the vedder which wrecked the coho fishery, on the fraser for reds my biggest is 32and a half i only fish with 12lb main and 10lb leader and number 2 hooks for springs, and i dont loose very many cause you have miles of bar to walk, whites down here if they are bullet crome will still turn a bit in color, that dosent mean anything you could take news paper wrap them in it and they will turn back to crome most guys throw them back unless they are does for the roe, i find they are great eating just like the reds and the marbles are great tasting fish also the average size for the whites on the vedder are about 15lbs-19lbs the average size for the reds are 12lbs-17lbs a little smaller average but there are still plenty of 25lbsers for both species

15lbs - 19lbs average for the whites????   :oare you kidding??? ::)  I don't think I caught one under 20 lbs last year with most being easily in the thirties!!!!!!! and believe me we caught a ton of them....  we were trying to beach some smaller ones and there wern't any :-\

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 01:31:11 PM »

You know when the whites swim by. You can smell them :-X Nothing that a strong flavor inhancer won't cure.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 02:17:34 PM »

WOW now that's what I call a HAWG.  nice pics tnt.  My largest Fraser red to date is 38lbs and my largest white to date is a 36lber from the Cap.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »

Milo my guess would be about 32-35lbs

ratfish

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 02:52:15 PM »

Wow!!!! tnt that is awesome. That 64 pound red is awesome. Thats something dreams are made of. I would love to land a pig like that. I guess the lowermainland does have a few pigs around which excites me. I can't wait for this years return. If anyone else has pics of large springs caught here locally please share.

Tight lines

p.s.
what did he catch him on tnt

ratfish

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 03:24:52 PM »

hey Filletsniffr
I caught him with a blue hootchie and blue spinglo under my dink float. The blue hootchie worked numbers for me last year. I was hooking springs like crazy even though i only landed the one. Back home thats all we use for springs in the river is hootchies and spinglos however they have to be the small hootchies, not the bigger ones you would use trolling in the ocean. I think they are 2.5 inches long.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 05:20:38 PM »

I've seen a 75 lb fish taken in teh summer from the chuck up North, lodge record is 82 lbs I believe.

Hey Spud..remember the general week that 82 lb fish was caught...that was a heckuva week at Langara..I broke 50 twice and 40 3 times that week. That was the best biggest fish week I  have ever had...Remember those weeks and general time of year..there'll be more big un's in about 6/7/8 years after that one.

I have a guest that may have broken that 82 lber off...it had Gami's in it didn't it? He was onto the fish for about an hour and we got a look at one..that was the largest fish I have ever seen alive.

In the Whonnock River in River's Inlet, I had a very lucky opportunity in 1994 to fly in on a float plance with a DFO researcher, a lodge owner, and another DFO scientist and have a look. I saw the spawned out carcasses of fish that were in excess of 90 lbs. That was an estimated weight through a formula.....I believe the girth measured 35.4 inches and it was about 59 or 60 inches long. There was another than had decomposed some but I believe it was bigger..we didn't get any measurements on that one.

The 10 year record for Vancouver area saltwater is 61 lbs which has been reached twice in the last 10 years. I believe local derbies of the days of the old Vancouver Sun Derbies may have surpassed that..but my father remembers witnessing several in the high 50's caught in Howe Sound.

:)
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 05:24:16 PM »

about 4 or 5 years ago mass from m&m charters had a party out of the research station in west van and hooked and landed a 63 spring. if i remember it was either late aug. or early sept. down around 60 feet on a green hot spot flasher and a anchovy

Fish was 61 lbs I think..not 63.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Bone Cross

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 05:46:55 PM »

I have seen a few fish in the vedder that were easily 50lbs. My brother landed a red spring out of the fraser last year which was 52lbs. A bullet which remained a bullet, just like a fish should be.
from a Redneck point of View!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 06:06:43 PM »

That fish was taken "before my time," sorry couldn't tell ya when, but they do coem in waves, as soon as we hear of one come in, everyone gets in their boats.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote