Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St. Mary's Lake - Feb 17 and 18  (Read 2543 times)

squishy fishy

St. Mary's Lake - Feb 17 and 18
« on: February 24, 2006, 02:49:31 PM »

Hey everyone.

I should really be working, but shhhh. This is a delayed report for St. Mary's Lake on Saltspring Island. Went with the girfriend last week to try catch some darn fish (Smallies to be exact) after enjoyable but fruitless days on the Vedder and Squamish. Weather was perfect except for a crazy windstorm that kicked up the night before fishing. We lost power for a few hours and tree debris everywhere! Huge controlled bonfires everywhere to burn the debris   :o.

The next day it was still a little windy and went to go check out the lake. It was actually nice and sheltered from the wind so we decided to rent a boat and try it out. I didn't know this but, none of the resorts I checked (three of them) rent boats out unless you stay at the resort. So bring a boat or stay at a resort We tried from the shore on the deep side of the lake (closest to ocean) anyways. No other people fishing. Probably a bit early in the year.

I had bought a whole arsenal of jigs and spinners from Army and Navy so we tried everything, but ther fish were either not there or couldn't see. The visability wasn't too hot and I thought that the wind had churned up the lake. But i found out later that there was an algae bloom problem (true?). No fish but lots of birds (i.e. cormorants).

Then we tried Cusheon Lake about a five minute drive. The visibility was much much better, but still no action. It was nice to be out, but heck, this no fish rut was getting ridiculous. Ego totally plummeting. We then headed to Fernwood Dock, a nice long dock with a beautiful ocean view. Water was crystal blue :). We spent some time fishing there but the fish gods had already cursed us. That is until a young kid and his little brother came to the dock. Hey mister, can I show you how to catch fish? He proceeded to rip some mussels of the dock and bait the hook. I waited for a couple of minutes and a bullhead took the bait. It was a tough fight but the years of angling experience finally paid off and the monster was subdued. A beautiful 10 inch fish. OK maybe 5 inch. But no less a beast.

All in all, I was just glad to spend some time with the lady, enjoy the weather, and meet the adorable local kids.

Good times

Squishy.