Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the flow again for 2/26 awesome day  (Read 5517 times)

montegobay man

On the flow again for 2/26 awesome day
« on: February 26, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »

Hi again from from montegobay Man!!!We arrived at the wack around 600am and put our gear on and started down the trail cross over the small side channel and started our hike to the river .As we walk down the trail  foot print,s  of different critters were left behind as to lead us to a new spot to try todayThe trees were full snow allsome Mother nature at its best!!!! as we get to the run not a soul in sight.Silverback and I loaded up our rods proceeded to cast for  the next 35mins and i see my float go down and yell FISH ON!!!! and man did that fish rock it took me for a tail spin before Silverback could get to me the steelie took me to the end of the run and nothing to do but hear my main go SNAP!!!! :o :'( Silverback and I stood in disbelieve ??? man was that a brute or what it had to have been in the HI TEENS. Well thats  that, back to the top we go and start fishin' and talkin' about that fish,around 8:45 Silverback yells to me i'm on so i put my rod down and follow him down as silverback was fighting his fish we notice that it is a hatch he lands it and decided too call it a day and sit and watch me fish.well what can i say the rookie strikes again ;D back i GO!! to the top about an hour goes by silverback standing by my side rubbing off his good luck we see the float dip  ;D and here we go again
ya mon' other strong fight prosues and i landed a beautiful wild buck. silverback takes the pics and i release back to the wild ;D. the rest of the day was nothing more the awsome!!! ;D. hope you enjoy the pics light lines. montegobay MAN!!!!  YA MON!!!cool runnings.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 12:34:23 AM by Rodney »

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
Re: On the flow again for 2/26 awesome day
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »

Nice looking fishes!!!! Great job on the pics and update! thanks
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

silverback

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 09:01:54 PM »

Great post, great day,see ya tomorrow. ya mon cool runnings!! ;D

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 09:36:09 PM »

Hey guys, congrats on the fish and on the hot streak you seem to be having. Just wanted to remind you to take it easy on the fish when you land them. It's fairly obvious that you're keeping those wild fish out of the water for quite a long time while you get your photos, there's no water dripping off any of those fish. Also, while the hug may look cool in a photo, it's really damaging to the slime layer on the fish. Keep the fish in the water till the camera is ready, lift it out quickly, take the shot and let the fish go, it's that easy. Once again, I hope your luck keeps up and remember to respect any of these fish that you may land.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 09:54:41 PM »

Great report, awesome pics.  Keep up the good work!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 11:19:38 PM »

Gee, you guys are on such a hot streak.  It is like you have the GPS reading on where those steels lie. Congrat.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 11:43:29 PM »

Enjoy it while it last ! The skunk is lurking around the corner. ;D ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 07:25:24 AM »

You guys are slaying them...nice fish guys...keep em commin
weeeeeeeeeow!

tnt

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 08:40:17 AM »

Bederko the only fish out of the water is the dead Hatch, unless Im missing something here. good reminder that the ethics police are out everywhere :o
Nice fish Terry and boys
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 03:56:57 PM »

While I can't comment on the length of time that fish was out of the water for those pics, I too think there is excessive contact between the fisher and that beautiful wild buck.

As we all know, unlike salmon, steelhead don't die after spawning, they spend a good chunk of time in the river getting ready to spawn/ripenning, they spawn, mend, and then return to sea.   For this reason, a steelhead's slime coat is very important, it is their first line of defence in their immune system.  So the less contact and desturbance of the slime coat the better.

With the fish cradled between his forearm and bicept and his hand fully extended over the fish's side, there is more contact than I would think is neccesary....but thats just me! and then again, the pic I was referring too in now gone so who knows.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 04:00:33 PM by Gooey »

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 04:09:17 PM »

Coming to the defence for MontegoBay and Silverback. I know them well and these guys knows how to play and release a fish. The picture may look like the fish has been out for a long time but it can be deceiving. MontegoBay especially has been doing the fresh and salt water fishing for more than 20 years. Trust me, they know.

Kraft

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 07:32:39 PM »

What pic's , I don't see any pic's . did I miss something ?
The more Hair I loose The More Head I Get !

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 05:15:36 PM »

While I can't comment on the length of time that fish was out of the water for those pics, I too think there is excessive contact between the fisher and that beautiful wild buck.

As we all know, unlike salmon, steelhead don't die after spawning, they spend a good chunk of time in the river getting ready to spawn/ripenning, they spawn, mend, and then return to sea.   For this reason, a steelhead's slime coat is very important, it is their first line of defence in their immune system.  So the less contact and desturbance of the slime coat the better.

With the fish cradled between his forearm and bicept and his hand fully extended over the fish's side, there is more contact than I would think is neccesary....but thats just me! and then again, the pic I was referring too in now gone so who knows.

I think comments criticizing MontegoBay Man are out of line. Having worked with MontegoBay and knowing the character of him, his sportsmanship, his conduct and his credibiility are such that he should draw NO criticism.
I'm very sure that a few seconds with a fish out of water did it NO harm.  I have personally tagged and released hundreds of salmon, and quite literally released TENS of thousands of fish, over the course of the seasons..I would have to say hundreds of thousands...(try 100 plus Coho an afternoon, at times 50 plus springs a day, a million and one humpies) and the art of snapping a picture of a fish is quite harmless when done correctly..and I have that CONFIDENCE is MONTEGOBAY.

Accusing Mr. MontegoBay of abusing a fish is a character assassination.....

Hey man..Mr. Montegobayman..you workin' this spring or summer or what? I'm possibly goin' NORTH for the summer..pick up the phone!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 07:55:34 PM »

not to sound rude, but theres sure is alot of bicering going on about handleing fish. The top fish looks to be a hatchery that he bonked which is fine to handle the way it was as he cleared up in one of his posts earlier, but the wild fish is still in the water a little bit and im sure that they didnt miss handle them at all as it doesnt look like they draged them up on the beach and then tell weither or not its wild, and kick it back in like its a boot chum.

Nice fish by the way.

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 08:52:06 PM »

I feel the need to reply again. No attack was intended on Mr. Montego. I see a lot of junk happen on the river and I felt the need to speak up about the pictures that were part of the post (these pictures on the original were different than those that are showing now). I wasn't speaking about a hatchery fish that had been killed but about wild fish that I thought may have been mishandled.

I know better than alot of people that fish are not "ultra-fragile" and that taking a photo is not necessarily going to kill them. However, on a river like the Vedder, chances are high that the wild fish you catch and release is going to be caught and released again, possibly several times. Just asking that we all take care and treat these fish with respect, there are always beginners watching. Montego, I'm sorry if I have singled you out, that was not my intention. Let's all be good to the fish so that Chris's grandkids will have the same opportunities that we do...
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown