Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 FWR Steelhead Derby Day Report, January 14th  (Read 19405 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: 2007 FWR Steelhead Derby Day Report, January 14th
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2007, 10:01:30 AM »

Congrats and thanks to Rick for putting on a great show! And an impressive "WOW!" for all the great donations for prizes!  Nice to put a few extra faces to names too.  Xgolfman:  Great to fish with you.  We should get out more often!  Next time we leave Rick at home so he doesn't get the only fish of the day!   ;D

You too Merc. thanks for the stoogie too...Was an excellent day once we ditched girlie man the hole jumper!!!  Look forward to hooking up and fishing with you guys anytime!!! give me a shout!!! Can't wait to see Rick and his pin rod...Man I'm not going upstream of him!!!
SAssy...don't worry...it's not THAT big... ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2007, 10:21:07 AM »

Was a great day yesterday and despite low fish numbers I think everyone went home happy and satisfied that they had contributed to the river and got to meet and greet folks from the forum.
It is fitting that Rick won this derby, his efforts to pull this off over the past couple weeks were amazing... dare I say , he deserves it ;D. And on that note, thanx to all the great folks that were helping out.

The 'Venison chilli" was indeed deer meat, coastal blacktail to be exact. The recipe is secret ;D... but I hope you all enjoyed it.
The  Steveston Marine crew were happy to be a part of this event and look forward to supporting next years FWR steelhead derby.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2007, 11:01:26 AM »

This looks like that corner above apache, and the washout at the spawning channel... Am I right?

What a gorgoeous looking piece of flywater...

yummy!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2007, 11:18:35 AM »

Here are some more photos. These ones were taken by Lucky. If anyone else has photos and wish to have them added to the derby album, please send them to info@fishingwithrod.com.

mr.pink

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »

nice fish rick,congrats m8.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2007, 02:01:32 PM »

Could the FWR member who won the free labour on a custom rod please contact me by P.M. or by email.
thx
thomas
<tom@stevestonmarine.com> or <allwaysfishin@hotmail.com>

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2007, 02:34:15 PM »

Hey I don't nkow who can answer this but does anyone know what they will do with the money and how will they help the claybanks? i'm just wondering because it seems like a rather difficult problem to fix.

David Lamson sent this email to me today, which answers your question. Keep in mind that the Chilliwack River Action Committee is not just doing work to provide better fishing on the river, but to enhance habitat and undo some of the damages that both man and nature have done to the fish. As Dave once said, "For every fish that I caught, I want to put five back."

Quote from: David Lamson
The donation of $1040 to the Chilliwack River Action Committee will all be used for habitat restoration. CRAC directors are volunteers and do not charge for any of the work of doing research, preparing applications, or project administration.

Our main project continues to be working on clay slides of which there are nine on the Chilliwack  River.   Six of these have been worked on over the years, but some of that work was over 15 years ago and needs updating.  Over the years the river naturally changes so adjustments are needed. Clay siltation stresses fish, seals spawning gravel, and diminishes aquatic life needed for fish food. We're starting with a gap analysis and siltation/sedimentation study this spring.  The other main project is constructing off channel rearing and overwintering ponds as wet areas are always diminishing.  The money donated will go with other funds raised to be seed money when applying to funding agencies. This type of habitat restoration work is expensive as hiring the necessary engineers and heavy equipment is costly.

The Chilliwack/Vedder has long been known as a world class steelheading river. Good habitat is essential to the sustainability of our resource.  We must look after it.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »

I meant actually just above that, where that big cedar tree sits at the edge...

I'm not sure if that's where it is, it could be around the old butterfly too, I guess I'll have to go for another walk this weekend...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »

Well, that was a great day yesterday.  A very impressive turnout, awesome prizes, great food.  Incredible job in pulling it all together Rick, and everyone that volunteered there time. Count me in again for next year. ;)  Oh yeah, congrats as well on winning the Derby Ricky, as much as I hate to say it, nice looking fish, and couldn't have gone better in my opinion.  You deserved it.   ;) ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2007, 05:09:49 PM »

So here are a couple of the pics that I was able to get!!
The First Place Presentation, great job Rick and Congrats. :)

Aww, I think this one needs a caption, cause well....... There are so many ways to talk about this pic!! ;D

Brian winning his nice new Pin Rod, congrats on that Brian.

Hmmmm....Looks like they do actually get along at times, look at those smiles!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Clipper

• Kevin
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2007, 07:01:23 PM »

theres better pics of noseys fish than that!!!!!!! ???
tight lines

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2007, 07:14:52 PM »

looking good in the tights rick ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »

On behalf of the Chilliwack River Action Committee thanks so much to all that took part, that included, Rick along with his group of organizers, the anglers, the donors of prizes, all the food and the wood that was a life savers for us all. Must not forget the cooks, Mary, sassygrams and others. Also to Xgolfman for picking up the full bill for the vat of coffee.

The $1040 was a very nice donation but to see so many willing to help contribute in the ways I mentioned is so rewarding to David Lamson and his small committee that work countless hours trying to make the river a better place for not only the fish but us anglers as well.

I will be mentioning this event to The Environment Minister at our meeting tomorrow as we strive to get more hatchery steelhead on other rivers in British Columbia and pry more money from the Living Rivers Fund to repair the slides on the Chilliwack.

When a small group of anglers can come up with this money for a one day event after only two weeks of planning then to me in the bigger picture all levels of government have a bit of catching up to do.

Once again thanks to all you great people that turned out yesterday even though I donot think their was a Leafs fan among you. ;D ;D ;D

ever_hopefull

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2007, 10:39:04 PM »

Thanks everyone for organizing the event.  I certainly appreciated winning the bait caster rod, as my old one is a cheapie and sucks.  It was good to put a face to a bunch of names. 

A buddy of mine (who was not in the derby) was walking near ThickRick on the way to Peach Road that the morning, and as he was getting geared up a fellow told him that one fish just came out of there just a few moments before, and before he had his hook tied on - ThickRick had his fish to the beach.  He was pi**ed, as that was the closest he got to a fish all day. >:(  I guess the moral of the story is to get your gear ready the night before. ;)

Thanks again - and I am sure we will see you out there sometime soon.

Clipper

• Kevin
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »

had a lot of fun and way to go thick rick nice fish .good turn out maybe we should have another one later so everyone who didnt attend would have a chance and we could raise more money. the meet and greet bbq was a great idea for all us to finally put a face to the log in handles. do u think that would be a good idea? maybe on valintines day ;D
tight lines