Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River August 12th, 2007  (Read 3472 times)

Brothersage

Capilano River August 12th, 2007
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »

Fished the Capilano River last night between 6:30 - 9:00pm hooked three fish one was on the fly but the other two were on a big black marabou jig. First cast and wham fish on a few jumps later she was gone. Second cast, again fish on! looked to be about 5lbs broke the line and that was it. Saw about 4-5 other fish hooked. Lots of fish around & lots of guys  but felt good to be out there!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:47:58 AM by Rodney »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano River
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:30:08 PM »

Good report, thanks for sharing.

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »

My Dad is visiting from up north - he's missing out on the pinks and chum season in Kitimat - what species are there in the Capilano right now?  Is there retention or is it catch and release?

I tried the Cable Bridge in July with no luck.  Anywhere else along the Cap that you would recommend? 

We're probably going to Cates tonight, and probably hit the Capilano on the weekend.

Thanks,

Joe

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »

the cap is low, slow, and relatively clear right now...fish are spookish.  Throwing spoons and spinners is effective this time of year, its just that with were the fish are (near the bottom) people dont want to let their $4 lure get too close to the bottom...but thats where the fish are.  try a slow retrieve of blue fox spinners or spoons like crocs, coho, and kitimats and you will have success.

Brothersage

Re: Capilano River August 12th, 2007
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 05:10:10 PM »

Hey Joe, you can keep 2 over 30cm and 2 under 30cm as long as they are hatchery . I'm not sure when but that changes to 4 fish a day. The fish that you'll be targeting in there right now are coho they range from 2lbs - 5lbs you might hook the odd steelhead which are catch and release!The springs start sowing up in the river at the end of september also. Try using the big black marabou jig that I talked about and like gooey said keep your presentation on the bottom where the fish are! I went out and bought some more for my next trip.Hope this info helps a little!Tight lines!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »

Just to expand Brothersage's post. All coho must be 25cm or longer (so the two under 30cm coho allowed should actually be between 25 and 30cm long). From September 1st, that regulation changes to 4 coho that are 25cm or over.

flatlander

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:08:07 PM »

Jk gone fishin, mind sending me a email as to where to go at Furry Creek or anywhere else for pinks.  I haven't fished for pinks before.  You using Croc spoons?  How heavy?  How deep are you taking them?

Cheers!
John

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:29:53 PM »

I'd go to cates for pinks right now... But there are crowds... But it's a good place to start.

Furry is so damned far away, and the limit is only two... Plus I've been hearing rumours of cars being towed due to construction...

The absolute best spot to be in 2 weeks will be the fraser... You can hook as many as you want to muscle in... I take all newbies out to chilliwack area, and they catch fish like it's easy...

Wait two weeks, seriously, it will be worth the drive!

Good luck...
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

flatlander

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »

Thanks Nicole, I've got some time off work this week so I think I'll try cates.  I was at Pacific Angler yesterday and I overheard some talk about Ambleside being good.

Cheers!

flatlander

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 03:09:37 AM »

Thanks jk gone fishin, I'm not big into crowds so FuzzyCreek might be an option.  I haven't fished there before are you right down by the creek mouth?  What's the parking situation around there...don't want to get towed?

Cheers!

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:10 AM »

Does one need waders to fish Furry Creek?

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 08:59:21 AM »

I'd go to cates for pinks right now... But there are crowds... But it's a good place to start.

Furry is so damned far away, and the limit is only two... Plus I've been hearing rumours of cars being towed due to construction...

The absolute best spot to be in 2 weeks will be the fraser... You can hook as many as you want to muscle in... I take all newbies out to chilliwack area, and they catch fish like it's easy...

Wait two weeks, seriously, it will be worth the drive!

Good luck...
Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I might take you up on that offer!  It would be great to go out with people that have some experience down here.

Thanks,

Joe

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 10:50:57 AM »

I'll take you out, if the Fraser is not closed by then...

There are a few people in line for trips ahead of you, so I can't guarantee anything :)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

JoshGuy

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 11:09:28 AM »

Hey! Me too! I'm having rotten luck and could use a pro. I'm 0 for 6 in salmon/times gone fishing!

Cheers!
-JoshGuy!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 11:59:27 AM »

I think you can take years off your learning curve by fishing with other anglers... There are alot of different techniques out there, and learning what other people do helps your own perspective on angling...

Never be afraid to ask questions, it will make you a better angler...

people who have taught me some useful things over the years:

Dad - all the basics with gear fishing, fresh and salt
Gord Goodey - fly tying, traditional stillwater flyfishing
Tom White/Jim Teeny - Single handed fly casting
Gio - fly fishing coho in fresh, chironomiding, and spey fishing

Now I'm learning beach fishing, and there will be a new bunch of people to give credit to as the years go along...

:)
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin