Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else tired of it?  (Read 13819 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Anyone else tired of it?
« on: October 18, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »

Personally I love reading reports but dont like reading about the snagging. It seems a report cant be made without mentioning the snaggers out there. I think we are all aware its going on especially on the more popular spots/rivers. I cant dictate what people write but I can voice my opinion. If you had a great day why put a downer on it worrying about people fishing like that?

I try and stay away from spots with those people but sometimes I run across them anyways. I used to get mad but now I dont care. I have done my part ( written letters, made phone calls ) so now I dont need to do anything else. I will always go out and just enjoy myself without worrying about what others are doing.

I notice Rodney never posts about them but I know he must run across them. I thoroughly enjoy his reports because of this.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Anyone else tired of it?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »

Very good point!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »

I'm tired of reading about it also.  However, if we all stop talking about it, reporting it and trying to stop it, it will never get better.  I know for a fact that several fisheries around the world have and are being decimated by unethical behavior.  IMO, we have to continue to bring the heat and even turn it up to make it stop.  Otherwise, we might be wishing some day soon that we did more. 

fishnjim

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »

well said, we all see those types doing the non-ethical stuff....best is to just report illegall activity...if the co comes great..if not..oh well..we tried.  i like to try and go fishing to relieve stress not create it.  so with that i do try and go to quiet places where i do not see that stuff.  but unfortunately, those busy spots are usually the only places with openings of some ort or another.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 07:36:45 PM »

I'm tired of reading about it also.  However, if we all stop talking about it, reporting it and trying to stop it, it will never get better.  I know for a fact that several fisheries around the world have and are being decimated by unethical behavior.  IMO, we have to continue to bring the heat and even turn it up to make it stop.  Otherwise, we might be wishing some day soon that we did more. 

People have been talking about it for years on these forums. Has it gotten any better? Its gotten worse. So whats the point about talking about it in a report. If you really want to talk about it I would start a separate thread regarding the issues and what can be done to educate and resolve the problems.

Their are always threads kicking around specifically on this issue I just dont see a need for them in good reports. It kind of spoils them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:46:06 PM »

Has it really gotten worse?
I think it is actually getting better from what ive been reading.
At least now everyone admits those fish are being snagged and not actuallly biting the wool. ;D
This one is going to take a long time but eventually it will phase out.
I said eventually. ::)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 07:53:23 PM »

I seriously doubt Rodney is going to restrict all talk about snaggers to one thread.  Not feasible.  Personally, I like to keep informed about what's really going on.  If I want rose colored glasses, I'll call up a local shop up there and ask for a report.  Knowing what's going on helps me to figure out ways to combat what's wrong and enhance what's right. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »

Fished the stave today and yes I did see the snaggers but I did not see them keep their snagged fish. The ones I saw they released them. I even noticed a couple switch to a float when they saw us hammering them on jigs. The only thing was they had no jigs but they kept at it.  I too think that one day it will get better once they see how many more fish they actually hook by making them bite.

I also think that it should be kept at the for front as I am sure some of them lurk through these fishing forums and that is the only education they get when ity comes to fishing ethically.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 07:57:07 PM »

I agree with Bryan, especially the part about that I write good reports. ;D :-[

I seriously doubt Rodney is going to restrict all talk about snaggers to one thread.

I don't think that was the intention of this thread.

Maybe I'll share my thoughts on this later. Dinner time. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »

Agree with bbronswyk2000. My .02

fishfinder

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »

Yes, it does get tiring reading about it. I hate seeing it on the river and have to walk away to fish in a quieter area. But what's really tiring is having to find new places to fish year after year because the snaggers move into the runs I like. There were snaggers in the 80's too, but they were mostly at the major meat holes. Now they are in just about every run, from the top all the way to the Freeway bridge. People who fish ethically are in the minority, it seems, and we're stuck fishing in less productive waters just to seek some solace.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 09:38:58 PM »

I agree with Bryan, especially the part about that I write good reports. ;D :-[

I seriously doubt Rodney is going to restrict all talk about snaggers to one thread.

I don't think that was the intention of this thread.

Maybe I'll share my thoughts on this later. Dinner time. ;D

Your right Rod that was not the intention of the thread. Too tired to get into the nitty gritty of what I meant but I think most people here seem to understand what I was getting at.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 07:41:37 AM »

If that's how "most people feel", I won't mention snagging in any other post except for this one and the recent thread My Notes.  However, I can tell you I think it is a huge mistake to put our heads in the sand and stop talking about it.  After seeing this fishery decline the past few years, my clients, my friends and myself are already starting to make plans for elsewhere.  I also had several conversations with contingents from other countries and they're not coming back next year.  I can stay in Washington and have 20 coho days on the Skykomish.  With the average size of at least 10 lbs.  Snagging is not tollerated there.  WDFW listens to their constituents and pulls out a can of whoop my friend on people who fish un ethically. 

Many of you might cheer this loss of competition on the river, but I can tell you, none of the people in my parties have been involved in intentional snagging or over fishing.  We have, however, contributed approximately $15,000 to the Canadian economy the past 9 years.  Do you think this lost revenue is going to be made up by locals? 

Also, If I stop coming to the area, I will stop writing letters to your electeds to try and affect change, and start putting my efforts into preserving my new fishing spots.  So, good luck with your head in the sand and your feet in the gravel dredge holes.  Let me know how that works out for you. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:43:55 AM by bentrod »

bluesteele

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 09:33:34 AM »

If that's how "most people feel", I won't mention snagging in any other post except for this one and the recent thread My Notes.  However, I can tell you I think it is a huge mistake to put our heads in the sand and stop talking about it.  After seeing this fishery decline the past few years, my clients, my friends and myself are already starting to make plans for elsewhere.  I also had several conversations with contingents from other countries and they're not coming back next year.  I can stay in Washington and have 20 coho days on the Skykomish.  With the average size of at least 10 lbs.  Snagging is not tollerated there.  WDFW listens to their constituents and pulls out a can of whoop *** on people who fish un ethically. 

Many of you might cheer this loss of competition on the river, but I can tell you, none of the people in my parties have been involved in intentional snagging or over fishing.  We have, however, contributed approximately $15,000 to the Canadian economy the past 9 years.  Do you think this lost revenue is going to be made up by locals? 

Also, If I stop coming to the area, I will stop writing letters to your electeds to try and affect change, and start putting my efforts into preserving my new fishing spots.  So, good luck with your head in the sand and your feet in the gravel dredge holes.  Let me know how that works out for you. 

Hello everyone here goes my first post!

Bentrod is right on the money as far as I am concerned. If someone wants to put a blurb in their report about snaggers whats wrong with that? Where do you draw the line?  I see no difference
in reading through a newspaper and coming across all sorts of crap you dont like. Where does the editing stop. TV commercials you dont like while watching your favourite program.

I think if it bothers you so much dont read the reports. Pretty simple. Me...I like to be informed of whats going on. Trying to shuffle off a subject to other places is like putting your head in the sand. The I don't care attitude doesnt help anyone. Maybe if someone was breaking into your car at the vedder and I witnessed it and said nothing to the people doing it. Because it happens all the time anyways, the police dont do anything,  so why say anything to the lawbreakers as long as they dont bother me.

Rod is also right on about the Washington fisheries IME. Having spent alot of time in both Washington and Oregon things are different on the rivers. Enforcement is much more prevalent than here in BC. I am sure their budgets are way huger than ours. Reason being people speak up and voice their concerns and lobby the govt. Very simple.

Hopefully Bryan you will come to understand one day that the " I don't care" attitude will work against you.
And one other thing which I am sure you have heard of THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE

Bluesteele

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »

Wow talk about your over reacting.

I will explain it so you understand. When someone writes a report, as a reader of that report it gets me pumped for my next time on the water. When I read about the snagging going on in that report that pump for my next trip gets squashed.

Here is an alternative. Say you went to the Vedder, you come back and write a great report in the Fishing Reports section. No mention of the snagging. Than after writing the report in the report section you proceed to the General Discussion forum. Now you start a topic entitled " Vedder River Ethics " You vent your frustrations by posting just on the problems you encountered. You could do this every time you go. I dont care I can skip that topic in General Discussion.

Nobody's head is in the sand we are all aware of it. We call the RAPP line when needed, some of us write letters, we do discuss it from time to time on threads that are not a fishing report. What else do you want us to do? How is complaining about it in a report going to help this any differently than just posting it in a separate post?

If a new guy comes on the forum and writes a report and mentions it than fine because he did now know the problems exsisted before that so we can than talk about it so he understand what he can do.

Bluesteele it will never work against me because I will still do what I need to do. I will call the RAPP line when appropriate. I just wont confront people like I used to. Its not my job to confront people its the job of the CO's not mine. So if I see people snagging fish deliberately and keeping them I make the 2 minute phone call. If I see people fishing without a float on the Vedder or fishing with 10 foot leaders I dont care because technically its not against the law.

Their have been a ton of posts on this subject and it has not helped. What might help is a letter writing campaign. Are you willing to start one? How about you Bentrod? Writing a blurb in a fishing report does NOTHING.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:54:19 AM by bbronswyk2000 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"