Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else tired of it?  (Read 13817 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Anyone else tired of it?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »

This is kind of funny, the same cascading effect happens again and again in the fishing community. ;)

BB is tired of reading about snagging in reports on Saturday.

Some other members agree.

BentRod perceives it as people don't want to read about snagging on Sunday.

Readers perceive it as all members on the FWR forum don't want to read about snagging by Monday.

Readers perceive it as FWR forum is against writing about snagging by Tuesday.

The fishing community decides that Fishing with Rod, the website, is not against snagging by Wednesday.

Still no time to put in my feedbacks, going fishing right now. ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 10:18:11 AM »

You go fishing. I'll stay home and watch football all day long. Their is no need to worry about snaggers when watching the great sport of NFL football ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 10:36:29 AM »

BB, I have already written several letters and emails to electeds.  And, I continue to have conversations with a few Council members in Chilliwack.  I have also posted some of these letters on FWR.  Being that I have no legal standing in BC and no voting power, my voice only carries so much weight.  However, I will continue to be active from afar, and will do so until I am dead.  If you think writing a blurb does nothing.  Again, I disagree.  Just look at how many people have read this thread and others on the issue.  I think Rod has done all sportsmen a favor by giving us the opportunity to discuss these issues in such a way.  Enjoy your football everyone, I'm cleaning my steelhead today and getting ready for hockey tonight. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 11:04:55 AM »

Just look at how many people have read this thread and others on the issue.  

Thats right and its in General Discussion ;)

Good football so far the Cowboys are getting spanked LOL

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »

Always good to see the cowboys get spanked.

camtheman

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 06:35:22 PM »

well said

ever_hopefull

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes.  I drove out to the Vedder today with a buddy who described a situation to me, which I will pass on to you.  He was flipping through the channels last night (Saturday- Oct 18th) and came across the Multi-cultural channel which had a fishing show on.  He noted that they were fishing for Chum so, although he could not understand the dialogue, he decided to watch the program.  Before too long he started to recognize the river a bit, and the more he watched the more he realized it was filmed on the Vedder.  During the course of the program, the people fishing were snagging fish, catching them in the belly etc, then keeping them.  Another scene apparently had the fishermen gutting a fish whilst it appeared alive.  Now, I DID NOT SEE THE SHOW FIRST HAND, so the facts may be not spot on.  Also he could not understand what was being said (i.e. whether or not this behavior was being condoned) - but he was concerned about the video portion of the show.   >:(

If his description of the program was accurate (he is an investigator with Environment Canada, so I assume he is pretty clear on his observations), then this type of fishing behavior may be being perpetuated on television with an ethnic population that may or may not have a good comprehension of the English language.  If so, that is a problem and needs to be taken up with the shows producers etc.

My question is -- has anyone else seen this show?  I would prefer to have this information verified before I start contacting the Multi-cultural channel?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 09:34:25 PM »

EV, what language was the program?

ever_hopefull

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 09:57:20 PM »

He thought it was Korean - but could be wrong.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »

I agree with Brian as well.  Who'd a thunk it.  I refuse to ruin a decent report (notice I said decent report, no great!!) with the mention of.... well, you know.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »

Has it really gotten worse?
I think it is actually getting better from what ive been reading.
At least now everyone admits those fish are being snagged and not actuallly biting the wool. ;D
This one is going to take a long time but eventually it will phase out.
I said eventually. ::)

Wrong, it has not gotten better and it's not going to without an organized effort to combat it.
I think what bbronswyk2000 meant is that we don't have to talk about every time we report on something but there should be some discussion and awareness of it.

Wrong again, fish bite the wool. Some wool.

On some days I catch 15-20 chum in a day and not one is foul hooked.
Usually when it turns on for a few hours you get a fish every 4th or 5th cast. Then the bite turns off and I can't get one for hours.
How do you explain that some people catch more chum in the same run at the same time?
The color of wool.
So they do bite.

However, I can see where you are coming from...
Snaggers will put wool when they are fishing the fast water, because it doesn't make sense to just have a bare hook.

I'm turning this into another snagging thread... sorry bbronswyk2000.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 12:03:45 PM »

Has it really gotten worse?
I think it is actually getting better from what ive been reading.
At least now everyone admits those fish are being snagged and not actuallly biting the wool. ;D
This one is going to take a long time but eventually it will phase out.
I said eventually. ::)

I think what bbronswyk2000 meant is that we don't have to talk about every time we report on something but there should be some discussion and awareness of it.

I'm turning this into another snagging thread... sorry bbronswyk2000.

BINGO!!!

Oh and no worries this is the place to talk about it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »

This is what happens in our society on so many fronts these days not just in fishing.

Blights like this are swept under the carpet so to speak and then they become the norm and become acceptable. I know many on this thread are not saying not to discuss it but I see nothing wrong in adding the observations one sees on fishing trips and when filing a report.

Hopefully those that read these posts will change their ways one day. I know I have converted and shown a few people how to take fish by making them bite.

We all know on the Vedder and many other systems a high percentage of people are just flossing, snagging and lining salmon and if we stop discussing it and trying to correct it sports angling will be lost forever. Don't you agree?

Definition of angling

Laws generally prohibit catching fish with hooks other than in the mouth (snagging or foul hooking) or the use of nets other than as an aid in landing a captured fish. Some species, such as bait fish, may be taken with nets, and a few for food. Sometimes, (non-sport) fish are considered of lesser value and it may be permissible to take them by methods like snagging, bow and arrow, or spear. None of these techniques fall under the definition of angling since they do not rely upon the use of a hook and line

Buck_wife

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »

saw the same fishing show Saturday night. I want to say it was on Omni 10, but not 100% sure on that. Its a channel where they quite often do tv shows in different languages, like for people from India, also heard a talk show going on in German once, and that fishing show which was in an "asian/oriental" language.
Sorry, I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. So I that's how I classify those types of languages.  ;)

oh and Rod, don;t let the comments about being a good poster go to your head!  :P ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 01:23:17 PM »

Head is already so big that I can't put the sweater on anymore. ;D

Omni on Saturday night, just took a look at the schedule and the only relevant program (the other ones are all movies) on that night was TV Korea Magazine at 10pm.

http://www.omnibc.ca/schedule/index.php?date=2008-10-18