Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lafarge Lake fall flyfishing techniques  (Read 8172 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Lafarge Lake fall flyfishing techniques
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »

This thread is branched from: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19179.0

big fish dont seem to be as easy to catch trolling  :-\ I have always been more successful casting/retrieving and now thats its getting a bit colder the fish get somewhat lazy also so i will normally just dangle a chronomid LOL
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:29:26 PM by Rodney »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Lafarge Lake fall flyfishing techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:47:21 PM »

my best pattern in Lafarge has been this exact chronomid. here are the details of the fly. it is up to you to tie it though LOL

Hook: size 14 Tiemco 2499SP-BL
Beadhead: 7/64 Copper (metal)
Body: Black flashabou (use 4 strands and wrap to desired body taper)
Rib: RED microwire

coat the entire fly with head cement as trout teeth will bust up the flashabou fairly easily if you dont. I have caught many fish on this fly here in the lower mainland and even in the interior. I find the trick is the bead colour and the body material. I use black flashabou for all my black chronies  ;D gives it that certain extra that  ;D acetate floss cant
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »

Don't be discouraged. :) The expectation should obviously be lowered for this time of the year since the weather is much colder. Fish are less active therefore hookup rate is not as good as what you may have experienced in the spring months. There are four more stockings expected for Lafarge Lake before December 4th, including more broodstocks. Good luck.

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »

I would have to agree with Rodney, I was up fishing in Kamploops a couple of weeks ago. Boy was it cold...lol.

The fish that were caught were fat and healthy, my best was a 19's fish. Great colours and health. But they dont' fight or take the fly the same as when the water temp is warmer.  They are sluggish and who can blame them, water temp was anywhere from 3-7 degrees Cel...

I've been told that changing the size of your pattern, bigger leaches patterns, and slow retrieves can be effective. Changing it up abit.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »

I would have to agree with Rodney, I was up fishing in Kamploops a couple of weeks ago. Boy was it cold...lol.

The fish that were caught were fat and healthy, my best was a 19's fish. Great colours and health. But they dont' fight or take the fly the same as when the water temp is warmer.  They are sluggish and who can blame them, water temp was anywhere from 3-7 degrees Cel...

I've been told that changing the size of your pattern, bigger leaches patterns, and slow retrieves can be effective. Changing it up abit.

I bolded the most important part. These fish are lethargic BUT will take an offering if not much work is involved. I like to troll until I find the fish. Than the anchor comes out and its time to cast. I cast out and let the fly sink. Than I will make 1-2 foot strips very slowly.

Here is another tip. You can fish leeches under an indicator. Find the depth and start a foot off the bottom. Cast out your line. Let it sit until the leech is horizontal. Now you retrieve with a hand twist very slowly. Another way is casting it out and making one foot retrieves. Inbetween retrieves give it a few seconds for the leech to settle back down. Retrieve right back to the boat. I'll be out in Chemainus on Thursday in search of some larger fish. Good luck.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »

Well, this has all be very good info.

I was out on Lafarge this evening and got a big fat zero - not even a bite.  I didn't want to use my float boat but I do know I spot I can wade out to that I have fished with some success before.   Started out stripping a green woolly bugger at varying speeds from fast to slow - after no success with that I tried to cover more water by casting a spinner in a fan pattern from where I was standing.

From what you are saying I will remember to try a really sloooowww retrieve strategy next time (Thanks for the tip about the leech under the strike indicator bbronswyk - another thing I can experiment with).

A quick question:

I was fishing a floating line so I think my fly was quite far off the bottom.  Does it make more sense to use a sinking line in situations like this?  If I am trolling what works best at this time of year?

Oh by the way, I fished lafarge about 2 days after a stocking earlier this year and they were absolutely hammering my fly just about every second cast - I am not sure the theory about them needing to rest a few days always holds.  Just my two cents worth :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:04:13 PM by fishseeker »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »

If you are in your belly boat you can fish two rods. I would try an intermediate sink and a full sink. A floater is only good on top of the water or barely sub surface. Not a ton of dry fly fishing in the fall and if your using a bead headed fly with a floater your probably only two feet down.

I really like the leech below an indicator. Give it a try.

Here is another one without the indicator. Use a full sink ( the faster the better ) let the line go right below you about a foot off the bottom. Work it just the way you would as if you had an indicator. This way when you retrieve it you are targeting the entire water column directly below you.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:39:59 PM »

h by the way, I fished lafarge about 2 days after a stocking earlier this year and they were absolutely hammering my fly just about every second cast - I am not sure the theory about them needing to rest a few days always holds.  Just my two cents worth
I fished there one day when they were stocked and got into lots of big fish
and the next day there were lots caught all around the lake

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:53:57 PM »

If you are in your belly boat you can fish two rods. I would try an intermediate sink and a full sink. A floater is only good on top of the water or barely sub surface. Not a ton of dry fly fishing in the fall and if your using a bead headed fly with a floater your probably only two feet down.

I really like the leech below an indicator. Give it a try.

Here is another one without the indicator. Use a full sink ( the faster the better ) let the line go right below you about a foot off the bottom. Work it just the way you would as if you had an indicator. This way when you retrieve it you are targeting the entire water column directly below you.

Thanks a lot for your answers bbronswyk2000.  I appreciate the info and I have learned a lot from your answers to posts from myself and others. [especially answers you gave me last year about fly fishing for Chum and appropriate gear - it really worked out well]

Definitely going to give these sinking techniques a go.  I am planning a Como outing with my nephew this weekend provided the weather isn't too miserable.  The easiest way, I think, will be to troll a leech on a sink line very slowly with him holding the rod (not even a fly rod - just a really short one that he can handle).  Indicator techniques and vertical retrieves off the bottom might be a bit technical for a kid but I am pretty eager to give this a go.  (Mind you, my nephew learns fast - pretty sure he will be teaching me how to fish a year from now :))

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 10:56:33 PM »

If their is a bit of chop on the water you can just cast out the indicator out with the leech. The chop will move the leech up and down. Thats enough movement to get a fish interested.

With kids you can fish with the indicator or trolling. I usually troll with my kids because they dont get bored as fast. Get him to twitch the line every once in a while when trolling to make him feel like he is doing something.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 01:19:54 PM »

Good suggestion.  Kids have an attention span of no more than 5 minutes before they start fidgeting restlessley.

At first I thought it might be a good idea to chuck out a worm and leave it on the bottom but that would bore him to death if the action is slow. 

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:12 AM »

If their is a bit of chop on the water you can just cast out the indicator out with the leech. The chop will move the leech up and down. Thats enough movement to get a fish interested.

Just to add abit, if there is a chop or a light ripple this will add good movement to your fly under an indicator - but if it's too choppy and wavy and you don't get any strikes - you may want to add a weight (shot or putty) approx 18' ahead of the fly on your tippet / leader to give the fly some stability under water (that is when you are anchored down and fishing a fly under an indicator).

Good luck and have fun!

e36blue

• It's a dog's life...
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 09:39:44 AM »

Just curious - anyone ever try a pellet fly for hatchery fish that are just released?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 09:49:38 AM »

Just curious - anyone ever try a pellet fly for hatchery fish that are just released?

yup. works good doesnt it?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 09:59:14 AM »

Just to add abit, if there is a chop or a light ripple this will add good movement to your fly under an indicator - but if it's too choppy and wavy and you don't get any strikes - you may want to add a weight (shot or putty) approx 18' ahead of the fly on your tippet / leader to give the fly some stability under water (that is when you are anchored down and fishing a fly under an indicator).

Good luck and have fun!

Thats a very good point.

Belong to the "4 F Club"