Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Really dumb question  (Read 35660 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Really dumb question
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »

no hurry on my end kiddo  ;) LOL the reel hasnt gone anywhere in the months its just been sitting i dont imagine its going to grow legs and run away now LOL

I hope you have let your parents now that Rick Passek is a qualified casting instructor and teaches people ALL THE TIME so its not like he is some random guy. That is what he does for a living, he also guides, writes fly fishing books and im sure teaches fly tying classes also  ;D

i am sure if they google his name they can see more of what he is about also. I understand the whole parents thing though because you can just never be to cautious these days  :(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »

yea, if should them his website and stuff and theyve read this whole topic, im hoping theyll have an awnser pretty soon

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2009, 06:21:40 PM »

I'm sure I got a new floating line kicking around, but you'd need to buy backing.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »

I'm sure I got a new floating line kicking around, but you'd need to buy backing.

Heck, backing is cheap - if you're in Vancouver (didn't note a location?), I can buy you the backing.
:D
Tex

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »

if he gets the reel from me it already has backing on it !!!

hell it even has a fly line on it but its a 4wt line and wont work for a 5wt or 6wt rod unfortunately. I could possibly even toss in my 5wt dry line because i want to replace it with a Rio Gold line anyways  ;) and if i gave the line away it would force me to buy the new one LOL

seems to be alot of options open to you BlackBlue  ;D as you can tell there is a good batch of us out there LOL
Check out our new blog

salmonlover

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:09 PM »

seems to be alot of options open to you BlackBlue  ;D as you can tell there is a good batch of us out there LOL

tell me about! where were you guys when i was his age.

i am getting into flyfishing too. but this thread had some complicated replies back and forth. not really sure what to go with now erm. no im not looking hand outs just some good knowlegable  advice. basically from most of the replies 5wt is the best route to go for a newbie? and stay away from a sinking line to begin with?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2009, 09:26:25 PM »

if he gets the reel from me it already has backing on it !!!

-more likely i will HOOK but for how much would you want though cause i dont want you just to give it to me, and i might also get the rod from Prariefire for $30, then get a really good line maybe even that RIO GOLD line that you keep talking bout ;)

-and Tex and Jamison Jay thanks for the offers but ill pass on those, Thanks though ;D

prairiefire

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2009, 10:30:57 PM »

I'll hang onto the rod no problem. I actually bought 2 but I don't really need both. I am also upgrading my floating line. My old 6 wt line I was just gonna toss out. It's only a couple years old but it's a cheap line. Not to sure what type. It came with my TFO combo from Sea-Run. You can have that if you like. Most fly fisherman are pretty cool. Not like the meat beaks you can almost get into fights with on the Vedder during peak Salmon fishing. ::) 
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:56 PM »

BlackBlue - we could call it $20 at most. like i said i rather see it go to a good cause rather then sit un used. I think buying a line is the best choice because mine is like 5yrs old and even though still works perfect the lines that are out now are so much more advanced.

Salmonlover - when your starting our learning to cast its best to learn with a dry line because the overall weight of the line is easier to keep airborne when learning. this ease helps to stop the frustration from mounting faster. keep everything as simple as possible when your starting out. concentrate on casting THE LINE not the fly and allow the rod to do the work for you.

and i mean keep it simple by casting with even a tuft of wool (to respresent a fly) so that if you hit yourself i wont hurt (as much) or do it with just a fly on your leader. I see lots of guys that are trying to learn to cast and they are out there trying to cast chironomid setups (meaning with a strike indicator) which are tricky at the best of times, especially when you get into really long leaders  :o trust me a strike indicator is a real pain when you start learning to cast one  >:(

prairiefire - i bet the cheap line you got on the real is that garbage made by Sedge. im pretty sure thats the stuff they put on all their full combos. and yes i agree its crap, it will cast fine but never as good as a high end line ($60-100)
Check out our new blog

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2009, 06:26:23 AM »

If you are going to buy a new line then I would suggest a Headstart line from SA. It will be the best to learn with and has all the same coatings and make up of SA's higher end lines. Also it's profile will not only allow you to cast well sooner but when you decide you want something a little more specialized it can make a great shotting head line for tips. It's also priced alot nicer than most good lines on the market.

It's important to remember, in flyfishing rods and line, just because it's priced higher doesn't mean it's better or will make you cast better. It's usually because experienced casters are looking for something specialized.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »

Gentlemen, this generosity of time and items is just great.

My advice echos others...Stay away from cheap flyline!!! I have a reel spooled up with some Canadian Tire cheap stuff i bought this year and my 12 year old SA line 100X better.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »

If you are going to buy a new line then I would suggest a Headstart line from SA. It will be the best to learn with and has all the same coatings and make up of SA's higher end lines. Also it's profile will not only allow you to cast well sooner but when you decide you want something a little more specialized it can make a great shotting head line for tips. It's also priced alot nicer than most good lines on the market.

It's important to remember, in flyfishing rods and line, just because it's priced higher doesn't mean it's better or will make you cast better. It's usually because experienced casters are looking for something specialized.

--another vote for headstart... it is cheaper because it is shorter than other SA line but good quality and forgiving weight forward so will load the rod with less line out. I still use this line for casting in wind.
--Also would stay away from the more expensive lines as you may want to practice on dry land. Or same with some of the used lines offered.. keep one for dry land practice, but stay with the proper weight for the rod.

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »

wanna here something creppy?? my grandpa bought me a Flyfishing book for how good my report card was (straight A's) and guess who its by?? Rick Passek, The Freshman Fly Fisher A Beginners Guide for a New Generation.  and the wierd thing is i havent told him yet bout the offer  :D

yo hook and prariefire i just thought of something... Christmas is coming up and my family usely gets me something to do with fishing and they know i want to take up fly fishing so, im might actully get a rod+reel combo for christmas (should of thought of that sooner).  So if i dont get 1 for christmas ill take em up, Thanks again ;D

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »

wanna here something creppy?? my grandpa bought me a Flyfishing book for how good my report card was (straight A's) and guess who its by?? Rick Passek, The Freshman Fly Fisher A Beginners Guide for a New Generation.  and the wierd thing is i havent told him yet bout the offer  :D

yo hook and prariefire i just thought of something... Christmas is coming up and my family usely gets me something to do with fishing and they know i want to take up fly fishing so, im might actully get a rod+reel combo for christmas (should of thought of that sooner).  So if i dont get 1 for christmas ill take em up, Thanks again ;D

That's too funny!!!!

I hope you enjoy it. Just so you know, if you take me up on my offer, my second book is included with the class.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »

That's too funny!!!!

I hope you enjoy it. Just so you know, if you take me up on my offer, my second book is included with the class.

Rick

I just have a couple questions for you Rick

1. For the class do i need my own gear or do u supply it for the class???
2. and if we have the class (fingers crossed ;D) can we do it some time after christmas???