Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many winter steelhead did you catch in winter 2009/2010? (including both hatchery and wild fish)

o
1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 105751 times)

chromer

Water was ideal yesterday. Lots of guys out fishing because there are fish around. Good wild component now if your into catch and release. Steelhead don't taste that graet anyway but they are a blast to catch.

Knutsford

Catch and release? I seen you bonk one the other day. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water condition good today but I did not find any thing, heard of 4 hooked. A lovely day none the less to be out on the water.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Got out this afternoon for my second trip in a month to the Vedder, what is happening to me? ::)

Anyway conditions were good and I had numerous opportunities, 4 times in one spot, once in another run and 3 chances in the last run I  fished near dark. I believe some must of trout, or whitefish as I should have at least hooked one of them. I was using prawns and roe.

As I said I could not be certain if they were steelhead but I did make contact with another fish that was a steelhead for sure as it took me down river a bit and while working it over a snag my leader snapped, it felt like a good sized fish too. :o

My bad luck for the day did not stop there as when I got home I leaned my rod against the house and while bringing in a garbage can from the curb I tripped over the rod and broke about 3 inches off the end of it. >:( :( :-[ :'(

All in a day of fishing I guess, at least my Leafs are winning now. ;D ;D ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

I saw something rarer then a steelhead on the river today... Chris Gadsden.
too bad about the rod, Iv shut the door on my rod a couple times.... But never has my rod fallen out of the back of my truck ;)
The Bigger The Better!

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe

I saw something rarer then a steelhead on the river today... Chris Gadsden.
too bad about the rod, Iv shut the door on my rod a couple times.... But never has my rod fallen out of the back of my truck ;)
i shut my rod in my garage door then got a bait casting setup because i wouldn't shut my mouth about it ;D
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer

Chris, must have been the bad luck I brought as I was watching you.  My dad and I on the trail in the red sweaters....  Looked like a decent fish the way it had your rod bent. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Back out this morning and partly repeated what happened yesterday.

Broke another steelhead off. I can never remember breaking two steelhead off in a row ever before, needless to say I am using different leader now.
The good part of the outing, I did not break the tip of the rod off this time.

Record for the year now a dismal 2 for 14. :o

By the way, conditions were lovely in the Lower
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:49:35 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Record for the year now a dismal 2 for 14. :o

Much like a certain hockey team ;D

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe

was out saturday evening and tailed a 24 pound wild buck he was grinning ear to ear. Was out sunday and nothing but the water was very coloured and the guy was still grinning ear to ear.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Slipped out this afternoon and was surprised to see the river so fishable after the heavy rains of last night. No success for me but heard of a few taken.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River had some color in it when I went out this afternoon but stayed fishable and had improved when I left. I put in a good 5 hours of fishing time and did not have a bite. Saw one lost and hear of 4 others hooked. A lot of rods out today enjoying a Spring like day.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Went out to the Vedder for 4 hours and the river was not in the best of conditions, as well the wind was blowing fairly strong. Talked to 4 other rods and they had the same results as I.

Conditions should be good tomorrow if it does nor rain this evening.

yoda

thanks for the update chris. hoping to get out and annoy a few fish tommorow.  going to be a little chilly in the valley though.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

thanks for the update chris. hoping to get out and annoy a few fish tommorow.  going to be a little chilly in the valley though.
We had a heavy shower tonight and more wind.