Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many winter steelhead did you catch in winter 2009/2010? (including both hatchery and wild fish)

o
1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 105746 times)

breaker_1113

First post..... Oh and first steelhead after trying for 3 seasons :D
Water was about 3 foot Vis this morning in the lower.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Put a few hours in this afternoon in beautiful water conditions, far better than yesterday. Tried 3 different spots and finally found one just as the sun was setting. It was a nice bright fish too. I say it "was" as after 4 to 5 minutes of playing the fish very carefully it skillfully separated itself from my hook. :o Now I sit at 3 landed for 16 hooked, dismal. ::)

Also saw one steelhead surface the first I have seen this season and also 2 trout just as I was leaving the river as darkness started to close in.

A few anglers out and I know of two nice ones taken as I saw the pictures that were sent to me tonight, both hatcheries too. ;D ;D

Talked to a Spey guy who said he also had hooked two fish. ;) Talked to enforcement who was out checking anglers and he saw some fish as well.

Conditions should hold for the weekend as it felt like it was near freezing as I made my way to the Leaf Mobile.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Did not go out today as very stong NE wind and it is still blowing.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

I went out today. Saw 7 fish hooked in the area that I was fishing, 4 of them landed. Heard of many more taken throughout the river. Finally managed to hook up but after a few vicious head shakes she came undone.  >:( Water was great tho.

Enjoy!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions were very good on my 3 hour trip today to the lower part of the Vedder. Saw one hatchery taken and for the second trip in a row I saw a steelhead surface.

The trip was not a total loss as I found a full tin of beer. ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Conditions were very good on my 3 hour trip today to the lower part of the Vedder. Saw one hatchery taken and for the second trip in a row I saw a steelhead surface.

The trip was not a total loss as I found a full tin of beer. ;D ;D ;D

Save it and drink it when the Leafs make the playoffs. ;D

Nutterbug

Would it be safe to keep the beer that long, they do have an expirery date.  ;D ;D ;D
Use it as malt vinegar.

Buster

• I'm a llama!
Vedder Conditions?
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »

Can anyone tell me how the Cheddar is looking today?  Wondering if it's worth a drive up from Vancouver for an afternoon fish.  I'm concerned it might be a little too colored up from the recent warm weather.  Info appreciated.

Nutterbug

After passage of a big water level surge like this, can we expect another influx of fresh chrome to arrive into the lower reaches of the river?  Or is it too late in the season?

Every Day

• Old Timer

Was home from Wed-Mon...
Fished 3 days and there was still lost of chrome around (I hooked into 6 personally), they will come in until may.
I quite often get chromer hatcheries after april 22nd.

younggun

• Old Timer

fresh chrome will come in, but will the spring run off allow the visibility to be enough to fish. FLY TIME BOYS! 9 days
Fish killer 101

Every Day

• Old Timer

So how long does spring snow melt typically take to blow over?

A while... my guess is it won't be fishable for the rest of the "gear season" if we keep getting temps over 18.
It has been going up 10 cm a day.

Every Day

• Old Timer

So how's the Chehalis?

Sorry can't help there... on the island and there is no graph for it.
Gotta go and take a look... normally comes down faster than the Vedder and doesn't have the clay slides to colour it up as much.

yoda

was out today at first light. got up but never checked the online river level, because was late in meeting my neighbour to fish today. river was high and dirty when i got there. we decided to go up river and it didn't look very good until we got above allison area. fished down a ways from the hatchery for awhile and i saw a rather huge steely making it's way upstream on the side of the river. had a bit of fungus on the top of it so decided to leave this poor fish to make it's way without hassling it. put a piece of roe on and about 5 casts into this run got a vicious pull down and  after a spirited battle let a about 12lb wild go. went to another run a little bit further down river and after about 20 min looked back and saw my buddy with his rod bent over playing what he let go about a 5lb wild. quit at 11:30 and both got into that ugly mess at the port mann today. all in all a good day considering we weren't expecting to even get a pull for the day! water should be good tomorrow  but have to work. darn :(

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Anyone know the water conditions for today?
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2010, 07:00:14 PM »

Hi guys and gal

Thinking of heading out tomorrow morning. Anyone been out today to report the water conditions??

Thanks in advance.