Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!  (Read 19722 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: 15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »

Hope it's true sounds awesome.

mr.p

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »

My best was 5 hooked and 3 landed, in January 2007.  All in the same spot within a 2-3 hours.

I'd say 12 is not impossible in the right conditions.  But with the recent water levels and clarity, 12 fish in one day is highly unlikely......Especially on the fly/spey
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 07:55:34 PM »

Milo, could you clarify. These fish were supposedly caught this past week? if so I would definitely call BS!

Well, Rodney kindly posted the link to the original thread. The thread initiator was clearly asking about CURRENT conditions on the Vedder and whether it was worth it to give it a try with a fly rod.
One would infer that in response to such a query you'd report about your experience or second-hand knowledge from the last few days or maybe a week max.

If the information is any older than that then it would be misleading.

It's like saying, 'at a particular spot, Milo landed half a dozen coho on the fly in a few hours.'  (except that it was back in October). :D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »

To answer your question Milo. My best was 5 in 3 hours in my first year in the end of February. This was on a day where there were crazy winds gusts at time almost lifting my float right out of the water and raining sideways. Was my best day ever. I would not be surprised if it were possible to hook 15 in a whole day (all 5 of mine were in 1 run), especially with the water being blown for the last little while which probably pushed tonnes of fish in with no one fishing.

I dunno, I say he did it. I personally don't think he would lie on a forum to stroke his ego (because he definitely doesn't need it), and just because we can't land 15 in a day doesn't mean that someone who knows what they are doing can't.

Just read the post on the other site, thought you were talking about Floon doing it lol (cause I'm pretty sure he could).
But if that Norm guy lives on the river with a camper why wouldn't he be able to.. and a post says one fish may have been the same one 3 times so it's entirely possible.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:23:30 PM by Every Day »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 08:23:33 PM »

Just for the record, it wasn't Floon himself, it was his friend Norm.
And yes, both of them are terrific rods, but still...have you seen the Vedder in the last week or so? ???

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »

Nope but when I lived on it I recall pulling 3 fish in a day out of 6 inch vis water... and from what I know right now it has about ~2 ft vis.
I only stopped because one was a hatchery, just need to know where to look.
That 5 fish day water was at about 2 feet visi as well, 3 of the 5 fish were in water so shallow I was surprised I didn't see their backs. Stopped because the 5th one was finally a hatchery as well, and a nice one at that.

It's raging right now if I'm correct? Would be perfect for the spey almost because all of the fish I caught that 6 inch vis day were in less than 18 inches of slack water along the edge. I still think it is possible. Fishing is about being lucky, being in the right place at the right time, knowing where to look and knowing what you are doing. If all 4 come together you can have some terrific days.

Just saying if anyone could do it, it would be Floon or one of his buddies  ;D

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:03 PM »

nobody is hooking 12 steelhead on bait in one day right now let alone spey. troll
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:55:51 PM »

Over my years on the Vedder I have landed 5 in one day, twice, The Master got 5 on one of those days too as we were fishing together. I cannot remember if I lost a couple more on those days or not. Another day I was into 8 and I think I landed 6 of them. These were later on in the season.

bluesteele

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »

100% totally possible. Whats the big deal?

The only thing I found suspect was the number of fish caught in the 20 minute time frame Floon said.
Multiple hook ups of the same fish most likely.

A Good Rod that knows the water lies(holding areas,paths) well,  is years ahead of the casual angler.

I dont know Floon or his buddy but why lie? Get over it.

Bluesteele

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »

As to the numbers claim fly fishing was how flossing/threadlining was developed back in the 20's, swing the fly on a long leader down into the tailout and hang on!

So maybe he did hook all those fish (but I don't want to start old spats).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:39:46 PM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »

Nice to see you posting Milo after 2 months off and now 5 posts on one day. ;D Keep the posts coming.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 10:50:38 PM »

Thanks Chris, I am still lurking, but with little time to go fishing.
Besides, the freezer is still well stocked with yummy halibut and ocean salmon.

No need to go out and kill hatchery steelhead...yet.

When is the next cleanup?
Won't miss it this time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:54:00 PM by milo »

SMOLT333

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 08:28:56 AM »

I am not surprised and I do believe one could hook that many.My theory is this; when one is fishing that way you are lining the fish with one long leader( Flossing). Just my opinion but something for you to think about.

Chromie

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 09:04:25 AM »

Remember that 15 fish caught in the same run or pool just might mean he caught the same fish a couple of times so you could of had 6 fish in that run or 8.... Many times in the past years I would hook a steely and after a release, my buddy coming behind me not more then couple casts and the same fish was hooked. I remember a couple years ago fishing with two friends and one hooked a steelhead fought it for about 4 min broke his leader and my other buddy throw a cast in and hooks the same steelhead takes it out and still has the hook and leader that broke off. Sometimes you will get aggressive steelhead especially when it warms up like it has been for the last month and the water being how it is makes them feel safe. So the story I think is not BS it can happen just like one day I will win the lottery lol