Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 148412 times)

CameronT120

Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »

So you'd rather pay PST a bunch of times instead of just once?  I prefer to be taxed once.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »

What an unfair representation Mr. IronNoggin! Don't you know conditions change? Like the 495 million deficit and "Not A penny more"!
(Wonder how much it would have been without the  HST bribe money?)
It was really Ontario's fault!
(Let's declare war on the wild tribes of Ontarians)
It's the single best thing they can do for the economy!
(Yeah! Derail recovery and consumer spending by compounding taxes! BRILLIANT!!)
It wasn't on our radar!
(Time to take the radar to the shop for repairs)
These are all plausible! Now be a good donkey an accept that our version of the sort of truth is not quite as true as the true truth. If you hurry you can lay down and just accept our version of truth, like another poster says we should. After all, when we started cutting programs, the truth program was first to go, as is clearly illustrated by our inspirational actions. The Liberals are a party of conviction(s) , be it lead foot driving or slinging back a few and goin' for a scoot around town.

Sir I DEMAND you retract that post!

http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2010, 06:13:13 PM »

........   Just another opinion, which I may or may not agree with.   ;D

HST good policy, bad politics  http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/missioncityrecord/opinion/letters/90248492.html

Tom Fletcher’s column is one of the few grown-up comments I’ve seen about the B.C. HST. I would emphasize two substantive issues and one process issue.

As you mentioned, the HST raises revenue from income tax evaders; the more they spend on high-end services – mani-pedis, expensive hair treatments, heli-skiing, and so on – the more tax is collected, especially compared to the extra $15 a year I’ll pay in HST on haircuts!

The second issue is that unlike income tax, there is no refund for prior years’ consumption taxes so governments don’t have the double whammy in recessions of both lower current taxes but also refunds from capital loss and business tax loss carrybacks.

The anti-HST crowd have much in common with the Tea Party rabble in the United States - the only group which answers YES to a poll which asks if they support a) lower taxes b) lower government spending and c) more government services! Bill Vander Zalm and the BC NDP are taking a juvenile unprincipled stand against an efficient revenue raiser needed to reduce deficits.

The Federal Conservatives poisoned the well – and created the federal budget deficit – by reducing the GST, a terrible policy move criticized by all tax analysts. The B.C. Liberals are in the unenviable position of implementing the HST, good policy but bad politics, necessary to prepare for higher health care spending in the next two decades.

Don Miller

Nanaimo
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:17:58 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

bcguy

« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »

So I guess, so much of what is said is true from both sides, myself, not a fan of the Liberals, and thier business buddy system. If it was legitimate business dealings, then so be it, but based on the number of Liberals with positions in IPP's, I suspect it isn't.
We have seen and heard of nothing but lies for, let me seeeeHmmmm, how long have they been in power for?? Any how, when the Liberals took over, it was going to be about sound fiscal management and no epic cost overruns (unlike those union pandering, ferry building...), above board (No undercover deals for these boys, no siree, no railways for sale here to balance budgets),straight shooting  (we will not sell you out to American corporations for hydro) etc. Well we know this has simply not been true so far...things could change in the future, but probably not.
Okay, I'm finished ranting,
so here is the point in this argument I would like to bring up. During the "good times" when business was booming, and transactions were fast and furious, when apparently any business man could have told you 6 or 8 years ago "we need to streamline our tax system" and increase our profits, was there any initiative then? When we could have been socking away money from the revenues generated by natural gas, and other resources the Liberals say they created through their sound business mangement, what has happened? Let...me...seeeee, oh right, a deficit, not even the debt, but a deficit of... what is it this year so far, I cant even remember any more, it keeps changing. In an atmosphere of a booming world economy, they somehow managed to get us worse off than when they took over. Hey, not a fan of NDP politics either and they had the collapse of Pacific rim economies to contend with back then (a major for BC business too)l but I simply dont see how this province is in any better shape at the moment then when NDP was at the helm. I'm paying more to live now, with no relief in sight, but in fact higher costs. We pay top wages to MLA's and senior civil servents, who are supposed to be the best and capable talent (in thier own words), yet even I could raise taxes as a means to stimulate business and try to keep up with deficit, (and I'll work for half their yearly salary and pension...so elect me next time) this is not rocket science, these guys make TOP DOLLAR to run this province, with gold plated pensions, and portions of their income tax free, now is the time to earn it, so its time for them to try thinking outside the box or get out of office. Raising taxes is not the only answer. If we no longer have the high transactions being processed in business, lets try cutting the services that supported these transactions in the govt. Where have we seen reductions in processes? The HST is a actually a good thought, but reduction of bureacracy for businesses should not come to us as costs to us as citizens. If the harmonization of taxes so great, then do it without a cost to us...the citizens, this great hamonization should pay for itself, while at the same time stimulating business to operate with greater efficiency, but quit asking me to pay for it, if the improvement of the process cant pay for it self, it isn't really an improvment...IS IT?
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »

........   Just another opinion, which I may or may not agree with.   ;D

HST good policy, bad politics  http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/missioncityrecord/opinion/letters/90248492.html

Tom Fletcher’s column is one of the few grown-up comments I’ve seen about the B.C. HST. I would emphasize two substantive issues and one process issue.

As you mentioned, the HST raises revenue from income tax evaders; the more they spend on high-end services – mani-pedis, expensive hair treatments, heli-skiing, and so on – the more tax is collected, especially compared to the extra $15 a year I’ll pay in HST on haircuts!

The second issue is that unlike income tax, there is no refund for prior years’ consumption taxes so governments don’t have the double whammy in recessions of both lower current taxes but also refunds from capital loss and business tax loss carrybacks.

The anti-HST crowd have much in common with the Tea Party rabble in the United States - the only group which answers YES to a poll which asks if they support a) lower taxes b) lower government spending and c) more government services! Bill Vander Zalm and the BC NDP are taking a juvenile unprincipled stand against an efficient revenue raiser needed to reduce deficits.

The Federal Conservatives poisoned the well – and created the federal budget deficit – by reducing the GST, a terrible policy move criticized by all tax analysts. The B.C. Liberals are in the unenviable position of implementing the HST, good policy but bad politics, necessary to prepare for higher health care spending in the next two decades.

Don Miller

Nanaimo

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2010, 05:30:27 AM »

I think I recognize that song.............

Isn't that the "Fight the HST" anthem?    ;D ;D ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2010, 09:05:38 AM »

For those in Maple Ridge that want to sign the petition you can go to the seniors center on Sunday April 11 between 11am and 1:30pm. The center is located on 224th street and the north side of Dewdney trunk road.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2010, 09:22:07 AM »

I think I recognize that song.............

Isn't that the "Fight the HST" anthem?    ;D ;D ;D

Actually it was a comment on your salesmanship ..... ;) I guess another Liberal resigned yesterday under a cloud.Who'd of thought? :o

Read this....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/selling-the-hst/article1528476/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:52:22 AM by Novabonker »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »

I read the globe article. Here's one of the interesting tidbits I found.

"Last month, an Angus Reid online poll found 77 per cent of British Columbian's oppose the HST."

Uh Oh.....   it appears the numbers are slipping  :o  :o   Didn't Vanderzalm say 85% of the voters in BC were against it?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2010, 08:19:58 AM »

I read the globe article. Here's one of the interesting tidbits I found.

"Last month, an Angus Reid online poll found 77 per cent of British Columbian's oppose the HST."

Uh Oh.....   it appears the numbers are slipping  :o  :o   Didn't Vanderzalm say 85% of the voters in BC were against it?

Just a little better than one in four? Seems pretty obvious to anyone that believes in DEMOCRACY that the will of the CITIZENS is being ignored by His Arrogance. As you pointed out, the initiative is non binding, but the recall campaign that will follow is going to be. Maybe a few of the zombies will show some fortitude and not support this lunacy. But we know what happens to any who aren't "YES! men".

"If you feed enough oats to the horse, some will pass through to feed the sparrows" ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:05:04 AM by Novabonker »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2010, 10:31:31 PM »

Got my kit today and I cannot believe how many people are so eager to sign. ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2010, 07:59:40 AM »

Got my kit today and I cannot believe how many people are so eager to sign. ;D ;D ;D

77% of the people, according to the last count. But the numbers are dropping.....   ;D

Seriously though, Good luck Chris! This is democracy at work.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »

77% of the people, according to the last count. But the numbers are dropping.....   ;D

Seriously though, Good luck Chris! This is democracy at work.
Thanks, let me know if you change your mind, I should still have a space left for you to sign. ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »

Thanks, let me know if you change your mind, I should still have a space left for you to sign. ;D ;D ;D

I don't believe alwaysfishn is a registered voter....    :D