Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 148464 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »

Okay, so this really isn't about the HST, it's about your dislike for how Campbell does things.  Right?

Two separate issues, that I wish would be kept separate.  "Campbell bad", I can respect that opinion.  It's just a shame that you can't see the HST for the better tax that it is and keep it removed from your feelings towards what you think this government did to you.  None of us like taxes, but I'd rather see this new tax than the regressive and unfair PST that it will replace.

But what do I know, according to you, I'm deluded (how about sticking to topic and leave the school yard name calling out of it?).

Not quite - two issues that bind together. I don't have time for liars and corrupt liars with my money? Are you content to just sit back and be lied to -AGAIN?  At some point the straw breaks the camel's back and this is  it, not just for me, but a ringing majority of the populace. Why do you suppose that is? Because Campbell and his henchmen lied through their teeth about this.  >:(  I look at his term in office as a disgrace and he needs to be GONE along with his corrupt stooges. If there's any thing at all I can do to rid BC of them, I'll do it in a heartbeat. The HST is going to bring down the liberals, one way or another. Again, why wasn't this brought up as a possibility in the last election? Treacherous liars, that swore they wouldn't but (nudge, nudge) were forced into it by Ontario. ::) Codswallop.

Did you not state that savings will be passed on? I call bull#%*t . I buy some supplies for my business across the line because of "sticky" pricing. I can ship, pay any import fees, brokerage and still put between 20 to 40% in my pocket - and I'm not paying the wholesale pricing that local suppliers are.And it has nothing to do with "old inventory", but sheer greed and gouging. There goes that theory out the window from my personal experience.

I apologize for hurting your sensitivities by the deluded comment.

BTW- I'm no fan of the NDP or political hacks of any stripe. I just think it's time for honest people to do the job, not miscreants that say one thing and do the exact opposite. Time to take back our province from them.

http://

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2010, 05:19:26 PM »

The petition is rolling rolling, rolling right along  ;D ;D ;D here in Chilliwack.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/theprogress/news/92139849.html

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »

The pigs, the trough. Look at lucrative positions government insiders have. DISGUSTING! I refuse to sit back for 4 years and watch lying thieves steal the province from under our feet

Mark Grant, BC Liberal executive director, resigns December 12, 2008 to join Rupert Peace Power.

David Cyr, former Assistant to BC Liberal Minister Mike de Jong, is now a director at Plutonic Power.

Robert Poore, recently worked under the Provincial Revenue Minister of the Province of BC, now is a senior director at Plutonic Power.

Tom Syer, who has held a variety of senior positions in the BC Government including Gordon Campbell’s Deputy Chief of Staff, is now a director at Plutonic Power.

Bill Irwin, after holding key positions in the BC Ministries of Land and Water, and Crown Lands, now is a director at Plutonic Power.

Bruce Ripley spent the last 2 of his 16 years at BC Hydro as VP Engineering, now is President and CEO of Plutonic Power.

Elisha McCallum (Moreno), after 7 years with BC Hydro as a media relations manager, moved to a directorship with Plutonic Power.

Bruce Young, has held several high profile positions with the BC Liberal party and lobbied his own party on behalf of Katabatic Power is listed as a director of Atla Energy.

Stephen Kukucha, former senior policy advisor for the BC Ministry of Environment, is now president and CEO of Atla Energy.

Bob Herath, former Assistant Regional Water Manager for the BC Ministry of Environment is now with Syntaris Power.

Paul Taylor, after his work as President and CEO of crown corporation ICBC as well as high level positions in the BC Government, is now President and CEO of Naikun Wind Energy Group.

Michael J. O’Conner, former President and CEO of Crown Corporation BC Transit, now holds senior positions at Naikun.

Jackie Hamilton, formerly held various BC Government environmental assessment and regulatory management positions, is now a VP at Cloudworks Energy.

Michael Margolick, held positions in resource and strategic planning at BC Hydro, now is the Vice President of Power and Transmission planning at Naikun Wind.

Robert Price, after a 30-year career at BC Hydro and Power Authority which culminated as the utility’s Vancouver Island transmission line construction, supervision and operations manager, now a member of the Hawkeye ‘team’ (website is not clear on Price’s position at Hawkeye).

Mr. Paul Adams, after a 33-year career with BC Hydro in which he held senior management positions, now is another ‘team’ member at Hawkeye.

Doug Bishop, formerly 32 years with BC Hydro and Powerex, was contracted in 2004 by Plutonic Power.

Ron Monk former BC Hydro Engineer, now employed by Kerr Wood Leidal engineering firm used by IPPs.

Wayne Chambers, a former BC Hydro power plant and substation operator, now a manager at Cloudworks.

Alexander Kiess, after long career with BC Hydro in management, now works as a consultant to Syntaris Power.

Geoff Plant, former BC Liberal Attorney General, now chair of Renaissance Power.

And here's Joan McIntyre's investment portfolio- OINK! OINK!

She  bought shares in Methanex Corp, Atlantic Power Corp., Goldcorp Inc., Pembina Pipeline Income Fund, MBNA Bank, Bell Canada, Enbridge Inc., Advantage Oil & Gas, Biovail, BMO, Bank of Nova Scotia, Celestica, Cenovus Energy, CIBC, Encana, Enbridge, Interpipeline Fund, H&R Real Estate Inocme Trust, Just Energy Inc. Fund, Manulife Financial, PowerShares India ETF, Provident Energy Trust, Royal Bank, Sherritt International, Sino Forest, TD Bank, Transalta Corp. and Verizon Communications.

Just some Liberal donors that get preferential treatment:: ( see duplications from above list - insider knowledge?)
Goldcorp $242,200.00
Pembina Pipeline $2,392.00
Bell Canada $36,170.00
Enbridge $50,290.00
BMO companies $59,020.00
CIBC $144,010.00
Encana $373,470.00
Enbridge $50,290.00
H&R real estate $1,150.00
Royal Bank $44,950.00
TD Bank $48,240.00
Transalta $15,450.00
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:39:21 AM by Novabonker »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2010, 08:45:09 AM »

You need to focus Novabonker......  We're talking about HST here, not the career path of some politicians....   ???

You're starting to sound like Bill on the campaign trail.....   :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2010, 09:35:40 AM »

This article reminds me of when my kids were little and they needed to go for a dentist's appointment.

There was often some kicking and screaming and occasionally some pain in the dentist's chair, but a few days later they had forgotten about it.  ;)

Today my kids all have pretty nice teeth!

Probably be no different when the HST is implemented!

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »

This article reminds me of when my kids were little and they needed to go for a dentist's appointment.

There was often some kicking and screaming and occasionally some pain in the dentist's chair, but a few days later they had forgotten about it.  ;)

Today my kids all have pretty nice teeth!

Probably be no different when the HST is implemented!

You need to focus here alwaysfishn as we are not talking about dentists on this thread. ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

LOL!!!   ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »

Why British Columbia and Ontario need the HST

http://www.troymedia.com/?p=10135
April 23, 2010

By Roslyn Kunin
B.C. Business Columnist
Troy Media

VANCOUVER, BC, Apr. 23, 2010/ — On July 1, the cost of becoming more productive and competitive will fall significantly in B.C. and Ontario, as the harmonized sales tax replaces the provincial sales tax.

The PST directly adds to the cost of machinery, equipment and the technology we need to invest in if our businesses are to become productive enough to survive in global market. The new tax – the HST – can be deducted from the tax collected when the firm sells its final output. Not only will this save our industries billions of dollars, but it will also go a long way to helping us deal with a strong dollar and improve our economy and our lives.

Better than Americans?

Canadians think we are at least as good as Americans, if not better. We are more polite than they are. We say please and thank you more often. We don’t carry arms. And Canadian citizens, if not always Canadian teams, play the best hockey.

There are also many similarities: We speak the same language as our U.S. neighbours, shop in similar malls, live in the same kinds of houses and hold the same kinds of jobs. Moving south of the 49th parallel is not nearly as big a change for Canadians as moving to Asia, Africa or even South America or Europe.

But there are some important areas where we are not keeping up with the Americans. In fact, now that our currency is at par, they are eating our lunch.

When Americans go to work, they turn out more goods and services each hour than do Canadians – they are more productive. As the accompanying graph shows, American output per hour worked has been higher than Canadian productivity over the lifetimes of most Canadians. And the difference is growing as U.S. productivity improves faster than ours. In the last quarter of 2009, Canadian productivity grew a mere 1.4 per cent, while the U.S. surged ahead 6.9 per cent.

Producing less means earning less, and this hurts our standard of living. As long as those who bought what we produced could pay in 65 cent dollars, we only noticed how poor we were when we traveled out of the country. Now, with our dollar equal to the U.S.’s, our goods and services are more expensive to the rest of the world. We have trouble competing and lose export sales and jobs.

If we want a better life for ourselves and our children, we need to become more productive. But we don’t do that by toiling like slaves. Instead, we need the tools that enable us to generate more output for each hour worked. I’m referring to the machinery, equipment and technology that increase output without increasing effort.

A recent report from Statistics Canada shows we are moving in the wrong direction. Instead of helping us stay competitive by adding machinery and equipment, Canada had a record level drop in this kind of investment during the last recession. In the short run, this had a small benefit: Companies that were not spending on improving productivity could afford to keep more workers on and minimize unemployment.

HST will make it easier to become more productive

In the long run, not investing in the tools that will increase productivity is like not giving your child needed medical treatment because it will hurt. Less productive companies may end up with all their workers becoming unemployed as they lose their customers to more productive producers.

There are many things we can do to improve our economy and our job base. We can undertake research and apply new, innovative ideas. We can add human capital, training workers at all levels.

But the fastest and most immediate thing we can do is to apply more of the machinery, equipment and technology that already exists. By reducing the cost of investment for companies, the HST will make it easier for us to do this.

Dr. Roslyn Kunin is director of the B.C. Office for the Canada West Foundation.

Channels: The Calgary Beacon, April 25, the Guelph Mercury, April 28, 2010

yamadirt 426

« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2010, 06:19:30 PM »

Why British Columbia and Ontario need the HST

http://www.troymedia.com/?p=10135
April 23, 2010

By Roslyn Kunin
B.C. Business Columnist
Troy Media

VANCOUVER, BC, Apr. 23, 2010/ — On July 1, the cost of becoming more productive and competitive will fall significantly in B.C. and Ontario, as the harmonized sales tax replaces the provincial sales tax.

The PST directly adds to the cost of machinery, equipment and the technology we need to invest in if our businesses are to become productive enough to survive in global market. The new tax – the HST – can be deducted from the tax collected when the firm sells its final output. Not only will this save our industries billions of dollars, but it will also go a long way to helping us deal with a strong dollar and improve our economy and our lives.

Better than Americans?

Canadians think we are at least as good as Americans, if not better. We are more polite than they are. We say please and thank you more often. We don’t carry arms. And Canadian citizens, if not always Canadian teams, play the best hockey.

There are also many similarities: We speak the same language as our U.S. neighbours, shop in similar malls, live in the same kinds of houses and hold the same kinds of jobs. Moving south of the 49th parallel is not nearly as big a change for Canadians as moving to Asia, Africa or even South America or Europe.

But there are some important areas where we are not keeping up with the Americans. In fact, now that our currency is at par, they are eating our lunch.

When Americans go to work, they turn out more goods and services each hour than do Canadians – they are more productive. As the accompanying graph shows, American output per hour worked has been higher than Canadian productivity over the lifetimes of most Canadians. And the difference is growing as U.S. productivity improves faster than ours. In the last quarter of 2009, Canadian productivity grew a mere 1.4 per cent, while the U.S. surged ahead 6.9 per cent.

Producing less means earning less, and this hurts our standard of living. As long as those who bought what we produced could pay in 65 cent dollars, we only noticed how poor we were when we traveled out of the country. Now, with our dollar equal to the U.S.’s, our goods and services are more expensive to the rest of the world. We have trouble competing and lose export sales and jobs.

If we want a better life for ourselves and our children, we need to become more productive. But we don’t do that by toiling like slaves. Instead, we need the tools that enable us to generate more output for each hour worked. I’m referring to the machinery, equipment and technology that increase output without increasing effort.

A recent report from Statistics Canada shows we are moving in the wrong direction. Instead of helping us stay competitive by adding machinery and equipment, Canada had a record level drop in this kind of investment during the last recession. In the short run, this had a small benefit: Companies that were not spending on improving productivity could afford to keep more workers on and minimize unemployment.

HST will make it easier to become more productive

In the long run, not investing in the tools that will increase productivity is like not giving your child needed medical treatment because it will hurt. Less productive companies may end up with all their workers becoming unemployed as they lose their customers to more productive producers.

There are many things we can do to improve our economy and our job base. We can undertake research and apply new, innovative ideas. We can add human capital, training workers at all levels.

But the fastest and most immediate thing we can do is to apply more of the machinery, equipment and technology that already exists. By reducing the cost of investment for companies, the HST will make it easier for us to do this.

Dr. Roslyn Kunin is director of the B.C. Office for the Canada West Foundation.

Channels: The Calgary Beacon, April 25, the Guelph Mercury, April 28, 2010

This artical reminds me of the crap i took this morning. ;)

bluesteele

« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »

The pigs, the trough. Look at lucrative positions government insiders have. DISGUSTING! I refuse to sit back for 4 years and watch lying thieves steal the province from under our feet

Mark Grant, BC Liberal executive director, resigns December 12, 2008 to join Rupert Peace Power.

David Cyr, former Assistant to BC Liberal Minister Mike de Jong, is now a director at Plutonic Power.

Robert Poore, recently worked under the Provincial Revenue Minister of the Province of BC, now is a senior director at Plutonic Power.

Tom Syer, who has held a variety of senior positions in the BC Government including Gordon Campbell’s Deputy Chief of Staff, is now a director at Plutonic Power.

Bill Irwin, after holding key positions in the BC Ministries of Land and Water, and Crown Lands, now is a director at Plutonic Power.

Bruce Ripley spent the last 2 of his 16 years at BC Hydro as VP Engineering, now is President and CEO of Plutonic Power.

Elisha McCallum (Moreno), after 7 years with BC Hydro as a media relations manager, moved to a directorship with Plutonic Power.

Bruce Young, has held several high profile positions with the BC Liberal party and lobbied his own party on behalf of Katabatic Power is listed as a director of Atla Energy.

Stephen Kukucha, former senior policy advisor for the BC Ministry of Environment, is now president and CEO of Atla Energy.

Bob Herath, former Assistant Regional Water Manager for the BC Ministry of Environment is now with Syntaris Power.

Paul Taylor, after his work as President and CEO of crown corporation ICBC as well as high level positions in the BC Government, is now President and CEO of Naikun Wind Energy Group.

Michael J. O’Conner, former President and CEO of Crown Corporation BC Transit, now holds senior positions at Naikun.

Jackie Hamilton, formerly held various BC Government environmental assessment and regulatory management positions, is now a VP at Cloudworks Energy.

Michael Margolick, held positions in resource and strategic planning at BC Hydro, now is the Vice President of Power and Transmission planning at Naikun Wind.

Robert Price, after a 30-year career at BC Hydro and Power Authority which culminated as the utility’s Vancouver Island transmission line construction, supervision and operations manager, now a member of the Hawkeye ‘team’ (website is not clear on Price’s position at Hawkeye).

Mr. Paul Adams, after a 33-year career with BC Hydro in which he held senior management positions, now is another ‘team’ member at Hawkeye.

Doug Bishop, formerly 32 years with BC Hydro and Powerex, was contracted in 2004 by Plutonic Power.

Ron Monk former BC Hydro Engineer, now employed by Kerr Wood Leidal engineering firm used by IPPs.

Wayne Chambers, a former BC Hydro power plant and substation operator, now a manager at Cloudworks.

Alexander Kiess, after long career with BC Hydro in management, now works as a consultant to Syntaris Power.

Geoff Plant, former BC Liberal Attorney General, now chair of Renaissance Power.

And here's Joan McIntyre's investment portfolio- OINK! OINK!

She  bought shares in Methanex Corp, Atlantic Power Corp., Goldcorp Inc., Pembina Pipeline Income Fund, MBNA Bank, Bell Canada, Enbridge Inc., Advantage Oil & Gas, Biovail, BMO, Bank of Nova Scotia, Celestica, Cenovus Energy, CIBC, Encana, Enbridge, Interpipeline Fund, H&R Real Estate Inocme Trust, Just Energy Inc. Fund, Manulife Financial, PowerShares India ETF, Provident Energy Trust, Royal Bank, Sherritt International, Sino Forest, TD Bank, Transalta Corp. and Verizon Communications.

Just some Liberal donors that get preferential treatment:: ( see duplications from above list - insider knowledge?)
Goldcorp $242,200.00
Pembina Pipeline $2,392.00
Bell Canada $36,170.00
Enbridge $50,290.00
BMO companies $59,020.00
CIBC $144,010.00
Encana $373,470.00
Enbridge $50,290.00
H&R real estate $1,150.00
Royal Bank $44,950.00
TD Bank $48,240.00
Transalta $15,450.00

Thanks for putting this list up Novabonker  ;D
Makes a guy want to trust the Libs and swallow the HST bait. LOL

I will say this as much as I am against the  HST..   ROR'S  infuriate me.

FISH FARMS, HST, ROR  SUPPORTERS BELONG ON ONE BUS and Gordo's driving it martini in hand.

Bluesteele   ;D

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »

This artical reminds me of the crap i took this morning.

Don't know about you - but I generally feel better after a crap in the morning...  ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »

Don't know about you - but I generally feel better after a crap in the morning...  ;D

Although this thread is about fighting the HST........     I'd have to agree with you!  :D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: April 29, 2010, 09:30:56 AM »

If nothing else, at least this futile "fight HST" exercise is making BC politics interesting again!

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/48966--high-profile-boost-for-anti-hst-campaign
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Columnists.../13754956.html

Understanding the NDP-Conservative HST marriage
Who’da thunk my 24 hours’ colleague Bill Tieleman – a stalwart NDPer – is waging a campaign for the BC Conservative Party? Well, folks, that’s exactly what the best outcome for Tieleman’s anti-tax crusade will be – a bolstered provincial party on the right. Welcome to politics in B.C., where the NDP carry a base of just over 38 per cent of voters. The Conservative/Liberal coalition known as the B.C. Liberal Party generally holds a larger number, but only by a couple of points. You split that coalition, and the NDP laugh all the way to the Legislature in Victoria.

This explains the awkward marriage of left and right-wingers lining up against the HST.

Never mind the fact that some of the most credible conservatives in the province such as Barry Penner, Kevin Falcon and Rich Coleman are currently in the B.C. government. Anything that experienced political operatives like Tieleman can do to drive a wedge in the B.C. Liberals camp is only good for the NDP. The irony in all this of course is that for all their bluster, B.C.’s NDP will not repeal the HST if they form government. To do so would require paying the federal government at least $1.6 billion. Even the NDP would have a hard time throwing that amount of money away.

This so-called grassroots democracy – including running websites and Facebook groups – is all about the next election in 2013.

This campaign is about three words: Premier Carole James.

No one thinks the B.C. Conservative party will form government, or even win a seat in 2013. But what it will do is siphon off enough votes in close ridings to ensure more NDP candidates are elected. It’s the game that was played here in Vancouver where another Liberal/ Conservative coalition (a.k.a. the NPA) split, and let the civic NDP (a.k.a. Vision Vancouver) take city hall.

In his Tuesday 24 hours’ column, Tieleman asked why the B.C. Chamber of Commerce were not opposing the HST. Uh Bill, duh, because it’s a better tax than the PST, which critics apparently do not like to discuss. In fact, a tax expert who has been adding wall comments about why the HST is better on Bill’s anti-HST Facebook page regularly has his posts snipped.

Not sure if you’ve heard about the anti-HST “hit list” either, and the inaccurate stuff it circulates. For example, they fool you that your phone and cable bills will be 7% higher, when you already pay PST on all those specialty channels and phone features already. And if you are a low-income earner under $20,000 per year, your HST rebates are increased up to $230. If you live in a household with only $25,000 income, every member of that household gets $230 as well. In other words, these folks will probably come out ahead.

As you try to get the facts about the HST, remind yourself that many political agendas are in play. Unfortunately, not a single one of them will save you a penny, nor keep you employed.

With Carol James heading the NDP and the Zalm heading the BC Conservatives, poor Gordon Campbell doesn't stand a chance campaigning against those 2 gorgeous smiles in 2013!  :D ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:33:26 AM by alwaysfishn »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2010, 12:51:28 PM »

AF- My point was that they have no moral authority to govern. Again, I ask if you're content with liars and thieves running the province into the ground? Look at the list of investments, then look at the party donors. Give them money, they give you the red carpet. Guess it's just a one off though. I've got a nice bridge for sale - CHEAP! ;)

I'm not content with these miscreants and every opportunity I get, I shine a flashlight on the activities of these thieves.  But the Basi Virk- BC Rail trial is going to be a spotlight on the vermin. (With all due apologies to vermin)

See- I left out John Les and the ALR shenanigans, Janey T's impaired Olympic party, Lekstrom's BC Hydro suite, Falcon picking a private clinic owner to run Coastal Health, and so much more it's dizzying.

But if you say they're on the right path.... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:58:47 PM by Novabonker »