Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 148425 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #210 on: May 03, 2010, 08:41:55 AM »

From a small business on the GST

I own a manufacturing company, typical I believe, with 1.5-3 million in sales a year over last 4 years, and 10-12 employees at any given time, in Delta...all probably typical for a small manufacturer...we make very automated machines primary for food, pharmaceutical, and plastics industries.

I had our bookkeeper spend a day exporting the last few years data and then using Excel making a figure that represents how those years would have been with HST instead of PST/GST.

We would have saved, oh yes indeed!
    A whomping .3% to .5%. Not 3%, NOT 5%....POINT 3% or POINT 5%! Less than 1% savings from this huge change to my company, which will never offset the added tax on every-ones personal spending!

What savings am I going to pass on to our customers? I must now upgrade our accounting software, and be patient as our staff figure out the new rules...there is no savings , you are 100% correct.

I was at a Langley City (where I live) open house and the local MLA Marry Polak commented strongly that there would be huge savings as manufactures could have HST rebated...

...I commented that manufactures are currently PST exempt and GST ITC rebated...so I asked where are the savings from?? Where? How?

Honestly, she looked surprised and politely told me she has been assured there is a savings for manufactures...so I ask...anyone...where is this savings coming from, what am I missing?

Good for you for asking the question of Mary, the trouble most of them don't really know about the HST as they are just saying what they have been told to say. Come 2012 they will be losing their good paying jobs and will be back in the general work force. ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #211 on: May 03, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »

We would have saved, oh yes indeed!
    A whomping .3% to .5%.

This reminds me of that credit card commercial where the first lady uses her credit card and gets $2 cash credit on her grocery bill and while she is happy with that, her friend who used cash says (sarcastically): "You saved a whopping $2???"
The first lady responds: "Ya, and how much did you save?"

You know the expression... look after your pennies and the dollars will look after themselves!  :D

Novabonkers example is not typical. Manufactures are PST exempt however only on products that will be resold! Any equipment they buy in order to do the manufacturing is not PST exempt! Imagine the savings that a business has if it buys a half million dollar piece of equipment for it's manufacturing operation.

The HST will encourage businesses to update their technology which in turn will make them more productive and therefore more competitive!  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:02:26 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #212 on: May 03, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »

This reminds me of that credit card commercial where the first lady uses her credit card and gets $2 cash credit on her grocery bill and while she is happy with that, her friend who used cash says (sarcastically): "You saved a whopping $2???"
The first lady responds: "Ya, and how much did you save?"

You know the expression... look after your pennies and the dollars will look after themselves!  :D

Novabonkers example is not typical. Manufactures are PST exempt however only on products that will be resold! Any equipment they buy in order to do the manufacturing is not PST exempt! Imagine the savings that a business has if it buys a half million dollar piece of equipment for it's manufacturing operation.

The HST will encourage businesses to update their technology which in turn will make them more productive and therefore more competitive! 

Tell that to the restaurant business, or in my case, the carpet cleaning business. Or many more that weren't previously taxed or required to collect. My COL price increase goes to the government. But if you say it enough times it will be true-- NOT

http://

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #213 on: May 03, 2010, 07:36:26 PM »

Nog,

We as of this evening have got 15% in our two ridings in Chilliwack already. ;D ;D ;D Going for more though. ;D
Make a mistake on this it is closer to 20%. and this is in a Liberal hot bed. Opps another mistake, it used to be. ;D ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #214 on: May 03, 2010, 08:53:53 PM »

Made a mistake on this it is closer to 20%......

Looks like you probably won't need my signature after all.....  :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:56:27 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #215 on: May 03, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »

Looks like you probably won't need my signature after all.....  :D
They will not turn you down. ;D ;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #216 on: May 03, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2010, 11:02:28 AM »

Novabonker

• Old Timer

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »

Still trying to convince Alwaysfishin, check the last sentence. ;D

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2010/05/04/BadWeekForDemocracy/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=040510

It's the second last sentence that concerns me the most......    :o  ;D

"........ close to 200,000 voters sign the petition so far because they were misinformed  ........"

However, I would question everything that was written by Bill Tieleman, the former communications director (mouthpiece) to NDP premier Glenn Clark!   :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:03:37 PM by alwaysfishn »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »

AF- Why do you claim anyone who opposes the HST as ignorant as your last post would suggest about the 200,000 who signed? I believe the majority of my fellow British Columbians to have a degree of intelligence and sophistication, and are judging this as they see it - a dishonest move by the Liberals that has the people so fed up, they'll deal with it with the only tools they have.It may indeed be a boon for the economy ( I doubt that highly) but the utter lack of candor since the introduction, any form of consultation , outright lies during the campaign and spurious claims about Ontario forcing their hand are deeply disturbing. It's galling bull$hit and the citizens are saying they're fed up with lies and being told they're dumb if they don't understand. We understand and we don't like it enough to stand up and be counted. And that's a good thing as people will start paying a bit more attention to whatever flavour is in power.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »

AF- Why do you claim anyone who opposes the HST as ignorant as your last post would suggest about the 200,000 who signed? I believe the majority of my fellow British Columbians to have a degree of intelligence and sophistication, and are judging this as they see it - a dishonest move by the Liberals that has the people so fed up, they'll deal with it with the only tools they have.It may indeed be a boon for the economy ( I doubt that highly) but the utter lack of candor since the introduction, any form of consultation , outright lies during the campaign and spurious claims about Ontario forcing their hand are deeply disturbing. It's galling bull$hit and the citizens are saying they're fed up with lies and being told they're dumb if they don't understand. We understand and we don't like it enough to stand up and be counted. And that's a good thing as people will start paying a bit more attention to whatever flavour is in power.

Novabonker ......  Chill out!!! 

If you actually read the link that Chris provided you would see that I pulled a quote out of that article by Tieleman the anti everything mouth of the NDP. You'll also see that I took the quote totally out of context.... purposely.  :D  But it was a joke which was supposed to be illustrated by the em-icons I used.  ???

Dang, I hate it when i need to explain my jokes!  ::)

However I do believe that 85% of the people that signed the petition have no idea what they were signing other than ...  "Another tax?? ??  Of course I'll sign your petition!"   ;D  ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

but the utter lack of candor since the introduction, any form of consultation , outright lies during the campaign and spurious claims about Ontario forcing their hand are deeply disturbing. It's galling bull$hit and the citizens are saying they're fed up with lies and being told they're dumb if they don't understand. We understand and we don't like it enough to stand up and be counted. And that's a good thing as people will start paying a bit more attention to whatever flavour is in power.

I doubt that people will pay more attention in the future....

I was listening to a CBC program on the British elections. Everyone is totally disillusioned with the politicians and they don't trust them. As a result they will probably end up with a minority or coalition government.

The conclusion that was drawn is that although the people recognize that tough tax and spending measures need to be put into place, they mistrust the candidates because none of them are addressing the need to take the tough measures. On the other hand the voters admitted that they probably wouldn't vote for a politician who proposed tough measures.

The politicians were totally avoiding the tough measures topic because they knew that if they were honest about what was needed (more taxes less spending) that they would lose the election.

Look at Greece, people are protesting and burning down buildings because they won't accept that the government needs to take tough taxing and spending measures in order to turn the country around!

The point is; this is exactly what is happening with Canadian politics. The electorate won't vote for a politician that is honest with them up front, so they vote for someone that is lying to them and then they get upset when the lying politician turns around and does the right things. You tell me whether the electorate is smart or dumb?? Are the politicians to blame or is the electorate to blame?

I just happen to support the party that does the right thing in the end, regardless what they have said they would or wouldn't do. They are there to do a job, not to win a popularity contest!

The leaders of the anti-HST group see an opportunity to exploit the "dumbness" of the electorate because they believe they can further there own political agenda. In other words they are lying to you and you are voting for them.   ???  

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »

Heading to a Town Hall Meeting with Bill today in Hope to hear some good news. ;D ;D ;D

CameronT120

« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2010, 09:57:20 AM »

Heading to a Town Hall Meeting with Bill today in Hope to hear some good news. ;D ;D ;D

What, he's realized the errors of his ways and is going to support the HST?