Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 148429 times)

CameronT120

Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »

Vander Zalm says that the HST applies to virtually every service that the GST applied to, so the government has no excuse for not knowing which items should have been included.

So why do we need a list to tell us what we already know?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2010, 03:21:07 PM »

So why do we need a list to tell us what we already know?
???

CameronT120

« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »

As the Zalm has confirmed, HST applies to anything that we presently pay GST on.  Since we already know those items we pay GST on, we don't really need some fancy new list telling us what we already know.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #288 on: May 17, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »

As the Zalm has confirmed, HST applies to anything that we presently pay GST on.  Since we already know those items we pay GST on, we don't really need some fancy new list telling us what we already know.
You sound like the Finance Minister. ;D ;D

CameronT120

« Reply #289 on: May 17, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »

I guess I just see it as unnecessary.  Most of us know what we pay GST on, so just extend that to HST.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »

I guess I just see it as unnecessary.  Most of us know what we pay GST on, so just extend that to HST.

Then why spend 27 million of our tax money on a communications bureau that can't put together a comprehensive list in 10 months?[/b ::) ??? ::)
http://

CameronT120

« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »

Then why spend 27 million of our tax money on a communications bureau that can't put together a comprehensive list in 10 months?[/b ::) ??? ::)

I have no idea.  I'm not in government.  Ask your MLA.

bcguy

« Reply #292 on: May 18, 2010, 02:38:34 PM »

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said a proposed international bank tax would unfairly penalize well-regulated Canadian financial institutions that survived the global economic meltdown.

"You can't tax an economy into prosperity; likewise you can't tax a financial sector into stability," Harper said Tuesday.

*** Read that second statement again folks, maybe he should talk to El Gordo***
Its okay to tax the S**T out of the country's population, but noooo.... dont want to tax a company having multimillion$ quarterly profits, no that would be just wrong...

"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

dwsk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #293 on: May 18, 2010, 04:05:15 PM »

Interesting article about how the government is increasing other taxes to make up for any loss as a result of implementing the HST.

"The BC Liquor Distribution Branch has announced today that the "liquor board markup" on all products will be increased as of July 1, 2010 as part of the implementation of the HST. The introduction of the HST means that the provincial sales tax on alcohol will actually go down from its current 10% to the 7% provincial component of the HST (the 12% HST is made up of 7% provincial sales tax + 5% federal sales tax). In order to prevent consumers from actually receiving a break on the introduction of the HST (maybe that would have been a good idea?) ... the government had previously announced that they would increase liquor board markups to compensate. Today's announcements make changes to the markups across the board for all products. On wine, the liquor board markup will increase from 117% to 123%. On spirits, it goes from 163% to 170%. If you weren't aware of these staggeringly high tax rates ... yes, you are reading those numbers correctly. The stated intention has always been to keep "shelf prices the same". I'll post more on this later once I have time to analyze the changes and get some feedback."

Copied from WineLaw.ca
Original Link http://www.winelaw.ca/cms/

Sea Nymph

« Reply #294 on: May 18, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »

I think the HST is just going to create a larger undergorund economy, just like the GST did when it first came out.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2010, 06:59:03 AM »

Harper may actually be onto the right track:

dont want to tax a company having multimillion$ quarterly profits, no that would be just wrong...

Any 'TAX' imposed on any corporation (ie Banks) will merely be passed onto the consumer in other fees. 

Hard to believe that he may actually be doing something right for us common folk.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »

Revolt over hated new HST tax threatens to topple B.C. Liberals.  Is the end coming sooner than we think?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Revolt+over+hated+threatens+topple+Liberals/3046217/story.html

bcguy

« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »

Harper may actually be onto the right track:

Any 'TAX' imposed on any corporation (ie Banks) will merely be passed onto the consumer in other fees. 

Hard to believe that he may actually be doing something right for us common folk.

So why tax businesses at all, lets let'em operate in this country and reap the profits on our backs???

If you want to do business in this country, there SHOULD be a cost attached to it, if I want to live in this country, there IS a cost attached to it.
This country belongs to the people, not politicians,not multi-national corporations, but you and me, and if you want to make a profit off us by operationg a business in our country, there should be cost associated with it. If a business chooses to off load those costs back on to the consumer in this country, they will quickly find themselves in competition from China, so suck it up, take the 5 million in profit, instead of the 10 million, and prove to the country you're worthy of doing business in our country, and I may give you my business, that is my power as a consumer.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2010, 07:42:43 AM »

I have no idea.  I'm not in government.  Ask your MLA.

You don't see ANY irony that the Libs have the BIGGEST "newsroom" (or propaganda machine) in the country, yet despite an outcry for clarification on this, they just can't come up with it? You seem like a bright fellow, perhaps you could explain???? ??? ??? ??? ???
http://

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »

We're digressing from the orginal purpose of this particular thread discussion.

However - you said:

If you want to do business in this country, there SHOULD be a cost attached to it

Businesses employ people like you and me.  If a business is profitable, it has the ability to grow and prosper - likewise the employees who work there - not all - but there are a lot of good businesses who do treat their people well.  Increase its share of taxes and the business is left with the following choices:
- passing on the increase its consumers - generally not a good thing and your right - customers will shop elsewhere.
- passing on some of the increase and 'eat' some of it - results with lower margins - doesn't do the company much good and possibly makes the employees less happy as expenses have to be cut (ie payroll)
- closing shop - leaving its people unemployed. 

My comment was that for once Harper may be thinking of us common folks (maybe not directly - but in a round-about way) as he generally doesn't.  No need for drive up 'business taxes' which we all know we (as consumers) end up paying.  Last time I looked - there are no big banks from China in Canada.  Thankfully!  There of course are the Credit Unions - but last time I checked, some of them are merging as well to cut costs.

You also said:
if I want to live in this country, there IS a cost attached to it.

What is that cost?  How is it paid?  Who pays it?  ??? Does shopping for products/services manufactured/offered in other countries really benefit the consumer in the long run? 

Short term - yes - as I understand the concept of 'watching my pennies' (albeit the Governments don't).  As people continously shop 'elsewhere' (ie States - yes the prices are cheaper (less taxes as well) - they have the market - more people in a smaller geographical space), our business loses out with less revenue and profits and yes, the government loses a portion of the 'taxes'.

Taxes, by the way, which pay for many a service that people have come to expect.  Services get more expensive each and every year.  Somehow the government (translated - we the people) has to pay for it.  Taxes also pay the wages/benefits (which are bloated and shameful - but thats another story) of all those employed and formerly employed (pensions and extended benefits) by the government or service paid for by the government (ie - nurses / teachers).  If the tax revenue drops, I don't hear about any wage or benefit drops.  Thus, services get the short stick.

Do I think the government is wasteful?? YEP!  Definitely more than its fair share of bureaucratic red tape and hot air.

Do I think that the politicians are in it for themselves?? YEP!! - I have yet to hear of any recent political party (Socreds/ NDP/ Libs) that hasn't had at least one of its members get a lucrative position from the connections they make with the big businesses or turn down their gold plated pensions or bloated salaries (donating it to a charity results with a tax receipt deduction - they still come ahead).  Those that make a real difference or truely have their constituents interests at heart are few and far in between.

Do I think the Liberals had all intentions of introducing the HST AFTER the election?  DuH!  Politicians may not be the most well liked or respected people (lawyers fare worse according to the last poll I've seen) - but they're not stupid.  Do I think that the NDP would have introduced in another year or two if they had won?  ::) Last time I checked - they do NOT have a problem taxing businesses and the people.

Do I think that I am ranting?? You betcha! But I feel better now!  :)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!